+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi guys

Cheers for the responses... I feel better now! 60 minutes focused it only on cats from what I remember.. My mum has told me you're more likely to catch it from handling red meat.. I have had cats my whole life so chances are I could have already had it anyway.. DH changes the litter.. She is a rag doll so she is an indoors cat anyway so it should all be okay! There's just so many things to freak you out these days! Back in the day pregnant women did anything and we all turned out fine..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cats safe during pregnancy?

The part they focused on with the cat is the only animal that carries/spreads it. The way they presented the segment though was focusing the cats and using scare manger tactics. The way it was done most people were probably too busy freaking out about cats carrying it than focusing on where the women managed to catch it from.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well thats 60 minutes for you. Bad journalism designed to incite panic. Id avoid it sooner than id avoid my cat

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (28-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ugh, I was furious at that segment! The way the camera shot the teeny kitty from the ground up so it looked like this huge monster! Like previous posters have said, they made it out to be this new thing that had only been discovered, and that cats were the biggest culprits. The story about the mother losing her unborn baby was incredibly sad, but the fact is she didn't even know how she caught toxo as she didn't have a cat. She assumed that maybe she caught it from playing in a sandpit that may have had cat faeces in it...but the show made it out like it was definitely a cat.

I've had cats my entire life and had two indoor cats during my pregnancy (one has since passed so we are now down to one ). Like others have said, I just got DH to change the litter and I made sure I washed my hands after handling them. It all comes down to basic hygiene. Same with undercooked / raw meat and unwashed vegetables. You just have to be careful

6. The Following User Says Thank You to justthe3ofus For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (28-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As others have said, just be extra vigilant with hygiene. I would also recommend start training the kitty now about what rooms you may want to keep them out of once bub is born. Our two cats (6 and 7) used to have the run of the house and a few months before DS was born we started closing the nursery door. Once he was born we restricted them to the laundry ( where there is a cat flap). DS is now 8 months old and our older cat is still having trouble adjusting to his new status lower down the totem pole, even though we do try and give him extra attention.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopeg View Post
    As others have said, just be extra vigilant with hygiene. I would also recommend start training the kitty now about what rooms you may want to keep them out of once bub is born. Our two cats (6 and 7) used to have the run of the house and a few months before DS was born we started closing the nursery door. Once he was born we restricted them to the laundry ( where there is a cat flap). DS is now 8 months old and our older cat is still having trouble adjusting to his new status lower down the totem pole, even though we do try and give him extra attention.
    Our son is 4 and the 8 year old cat still gets peeved about not being the boss, so I dont know if they ever adjust! He has learned though that in a 4 year olds bedroom it can get a bit manic so doesn't need encouragement to stay out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Aura85 View Post
    Hi All

I am 6 to 7 weeks pregnant ATM... The day before I found out I was watching 60 minutes and it had a segment about cats and toxic plasmosis... This can be really dangerous to pregnant women and the baby... When I had my first visit with the doc she pretty much said to get rid of our kitten we have only had a cpl months... My bf rang the vet to see what they said and they said it is fine and I just can't change the kitty litter (yayyy!) so I was wondering if anyone else out there had a cat and if they are as paranoid about it as me? She is only a kitten so sometimes steps in her mess in her tray...

P.s I am craving a chicken roll from chicken treat... I don't think they are safe either? Or are they?

Hi congrats on your pregnancy!
    I have 2 cats and for 9mths DH is on kitty litter duty LOL!!!
    In saying that, my cats are indoors, vaccinated regularly wormed and flea treated. I do occasionally have to scoop some poo when DH isnt around because i cant stand the smell! Im just careful with my hygene afterwards, as always. Maybe wear gloves if you need to change the litters or get poo off your kitten. Honestly, it's not even a big deal for domestic cats. It's more if you work with them at a pound or Vet as you dont know where they have been, what the have caught ect. Or if you dont get your cats vaccinated.
    As for your chicken roll.....mabe make a home made one instead, i wouldnt risk it so early on in your pregnancy
    All the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopeg View Post
    I would also recommend start training the kitty now about what rooms you may want to keep them out of once bub is born.
    This is a good idea. DD's room used to be the spare room and the door was always closed. Once we started having it open to paint it, set it up etc, kitty thought all her Christmases had come at once . We just kept shooing her out and ended up installing a security screen so we could still see / hear DD but kitty couldn't get in. Now she pretty much knows it's off limits and we only really close the screen when DD's sleeping.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was surprised when I saw the ad for the segment on TV, thinking people have known about toxo for ages? Why is this a big story now?

I've been a vet nurse for over a decade & only seen one cat with toxo, and according to my pre ttc bloods have also in that time not picked it up & I basically pick up cat poop for a living!

As posted above, you're more likely to pick it up from poor hygiene involving raw meat & vegetables.

Once again its 'won't somebody think of the CHILDREN!' tabloid journalism at its best, as if expectant mothers don't have enough to worry about

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rollermama For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (28-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cats safe during pregnancy?

I hav a cat too and she's outside all day in at night so I clean now kitty litter she refuses to use the litter tray she's really clean and fussy but yes I've herd of the toxoplasmosis but if ur cats kept healthy n clean etc u hav a pretty low chance of getting it. I could never give up my cat she's too apart of the family now.