+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: Cats safe during pregnancy?

Quote Originally Posted by Pen14 View Post
    Not only do I own 2 inside cats (and have been in a 2 cat home since I was 3!) But I have also been a veterinary nurse for 10 years and my blood test showed NO exposure to toxoplasmosis. Shows how easily one must be able to get it *not*.

I agree with PPs- those shows just try to scare people.

You are more likely to get toxo from your garden. If you want to be careful, just get your OH to do the litter trays. But even that is probably not necessary!

I wonder if that damn tv show could be held accountable for the increase in numbers of cats dumped at shelters and euthanased because of all the freaked out pregnant women.
    Shhh don't let my husband know that I could probably change the litter, I'm going to enjoy not doing it until June

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    Shhh don't let my husband know that I could probably change the litter, I'm going to enjoy not doing it until June

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub
    Lol, if I told your husband that, I would probably have to tell mine too

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pen14 For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (28-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cats safe during pregnancy?

There is no way in the world I would be getting rid of my cat, he is 15 and been with me for a huge part of my life. My DH changes the kitty litter and now I don't feel so guilty lol even though I'm not even pregnant yet.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Sorry to butt in, but I wouldn't get rid of a cat for it...good hygiene and a bit of common sense and you'll be fine. there are plenty of other diseases that can be harmful during pregnancy that can be caught of people/kids etc that can have just as bad outcomes as toxoplasmosis (and are more common) and no one has heard of them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have two cats and I'm on my third pregnancy. Mine were indoor cats for the first two pregnancies and I read a lot about toxoplasmosis and it is really more for outdoor cats but I was still careful and had by hubby change the litter and always washed my hands after playing with them.
    We have just moved into a house and they are now outdoor cats so I am more cautious and will be asking my GP to get the blood test to see if I have had it already, if you have had it already you should be fine.But like all the others I could never get rid of my cats!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Your ob sounds crazy.
    My ob advises not to snuggle cats near your face, wash hands after patting and do not deal with kitty litter.

Toxo can be found if cat poop, dirt, poorly cooked meat & poorly washed vegetables.

If you have to deal with the poo wear thick gloves & i wear a mask as well and use hand sanitiser and wash my hands well with warm soapy water.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh, My newborn is 11 weeks old and not once during my pregnancy was I told not to keep/or have contact with my cat. I was told not to handle the kitty litter, which i stopped doing prior to ttc. I was also told to keep up handwashing after touching the cat.

I have had cats for the last 10 years, all of them indoor/outdoor cats, all of them have slept on my bed, all of them have been in very close contact with me.

a blood test at 22 weeks showed i had never been exposed to toxo.... After 10 years of close cat contact and 10 years of kitty litter changing!

IMO you should only take risks that you are comfortable with. For me - i felt the risk was very very small.
    Last edited by Taiyed; 28-10-2012 at 07:44.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi there

I have 2 cats and as long as you don't change the litter you will be fine and if you get a scratch from them clean it straight away with Savlon, or dettol, I'm currently 34 weeks pregnant and my DH just changes the litter, and I just make sure if I want to interact with my cats that they are in a calm mood and don't want to play.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are far more likely to pick up toxoplasmosis from gardening, handling raw meat and poorly washed veges than from a household cat! Your local vet can test your cat if you're worried and your doctor can test you. I've been a vet for 20 years now and in my career I've only seen one case of toxoplasmosis. It's really quite uncommon and the media love to hype it up. Unfortunately though, if you are the very unlucky one to catch it while pregnant it can cause serious problems. I still change our litter trays and my cat sleeps on the bed with us. Just keep up good hygiene and wash your hands before they go near your face/mouth!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Waggers70 View Post
    You are far more likely to pick up toxoplasmosis from gardening, handling raw meat and poorly washed veges than from a household cat! Your local vet can test your cat if you're worried and your doctor can test you. I've been a vet for 20 years now and in my career I've only seen one case of toxoplasmosis. It's really quite uncommon and the media love to hype it up. Unfortunately though, if you are the very unlucky one to catch it while pregnant it can cause serious problems. I still change our litter trays and my cat sleeps on the bed with us. Just keep up good hygiene and wash your hands before they go near your face/mouth!
    What she said

Also. I work in the animals industry so over the years I have handled 100's of cats. I had myself tested for toxoplasmosis and I am negative. I also spoke to one of the vets at work ages ago and she said there is a very small chance of catching it directly from cats.

Also in the segment (I watched it out of curiosity of what they had to say) you will remember that they said cats were carriers, but neither of the women interviewed caught it directly from a cat. One woman caught it from a sand pit as she was playing with her child, the other caught it from eating raw kangaroo meat.