+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cats safe during pregnancy?

Hi All

I am 6 to 7 weeks pregnant ATM... The day before I found out I was watching 60 minutes and it had a segment about cats and toxic plasmosis... This can be really dangerous to pregnant women and the baby... When I had my first visit with the doc she pretty much said to get rid of our kitten we have only had a cpl months... My bf rang the vet to see what they said and they said it is fine and I just can't change the kitty litter (yayyy!) so I was wondering if anyone else out there had a cat and if they are as paranoid about it as me? She is only a kitten so sometimes steps in her mess in her tray...

P.s I am craving a chicken roll from chicken treat... I don't think they are safe either? Or are they?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have cats and have been fine throughout my pregnancies - and I changed the litter (with gloves and a paper face mask thing on LOL) try to keep your kitten inside as they can catch it outside. My cats are all indoors cats

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were going to take a kitten from our friends, and all was set up and the kitten is so cute...But once we've found the second stripe on the test we had to cancel it...
    I've tried hard to find any supportive arguments to have the kitten, but GP says NO...
    I've read a lot about that and saw it's dangerous if cat has contacts with any sort of outdoors because the bacteria are on the soil and faecetes of all sort of mice, birds, dogs etc...The cats just the only creatures who can bring it to humans.

Our friends are living in the house and the cats and kittens run around.

So they all told me that even the probability is really small, it's still better not to take a risk if that's possible. And I agreed.
    I just imagined what I tell myself and DH if anything happens...That stopped all my tries to insist on taking that kitten.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Cats safe during pregnancy?

I have a cat and am 29 Weeks pregnant. There is no way in hell I would be getting rid of my cat. Dh changes the litter and she is an inside only cat.
    You can get her tested for toxo at the vet if you are worried. And as long as it comes back ok then keep her inside and you will be fine.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

If kitten has been inside the whole time I see no reason to get rid of it! Hell I've had one of my cats for a few years and he's primarily an outdoor cat, my other cat I had for a few months before falling pregnant and he spends time outside too.
    My gp never once told me to get rid of them, just not to change the litter whilst pregnant. I've been tested and had toxoplasmosis in the past so as long as I steer clear of the litter he said its fine.

It's about hygiene and being sensible too. Wash your hands after playing with him and before eating, not that hard!

I wanted to watch the program on 60 minutes but missed it. Did they also tell you that toxoplasmosis can be caught from eating even slightly undercooked meat?? Poor cats probably got quite a bashing unnecessarily on the program..

(can you tell I love my fur babies???)

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mrstuilawa For This Useful Post:

angelini  (28-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Ps OP get the Dr to check for toxoplasmosis in you if you're worried. They can tell if you have never had it, currently or very recently had it or had it in the past

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I'd never get rid of my cats either, they're just as much family as our baby will be.

You can either keep them inside and get someone else to change their litter, or train them to go outside for poops and wees so you don't need litter in the house.

Shows like 60 minutes and a current affair annoy me, toxoplasmosis has been around forever, yet they made it seem like it was this brand new thing. They never use all the facts, they only use just enough to get the most shock value out of the story.

You can get toxoplasmosis from gardening.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII, please excuse any errors!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

I would never get rid of my cats. Like pp's I don't change the litter but I have had Cats throughout all of my pregnancies.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cats safe during pregnancy?

I have 2 indoor cats and all I did was not change the litter! Just be a bit more cautious and you will be absolutely fine.
    As others have said you can the cat tested and if you keep it indoors, the chances are very slim!

Thanks
    Reviews

Not only do I own 2 inside cats (and have been in a 2 cat home since I was 3!) But I have also been a veterinary nurse for 10 years and my blood test showed NO exposure to toxoplasmosis. Shows how easily one must be able to get it *not*.

I agree with PPs- those shows just try to scare people.

You are more likely to get toxo from your garden. If you want to be careful, just get your OH to do the litter trays. But even that is probably not necessary!

I wonder if that damn tv show could be held accountable for the increase in numbers of cats dumped at shelters and euthanased because of all the freaked out pregnant women.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pen14 For This Useful Post:

Disbride  (28-10-2012),haveheart  (28-10-2012)