+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What couldn't you live without?

Quote Originally Posted by decemberbubba View Post
    Please reconsider getting a baby bjorn - they get really uncomfortable for you when bub is a bit heavier and the position they put bub in (held from the crotch (sp?)) isn't great for baby.
    Interesting. Everything I read said they were great and recommended by the Australian midwife association.

I'm worried about baby slings things being uncomfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Interesting. Everything I read said they were great and recommended by the Australian midwife association.

I'm worried about baby slings things being uncomfortable.
    I had a bjorn-style carrier given to me and used it with DS before I knew much about carriers and it hurt my back carrying a 6kg baby for an hour, I think because all of the weight was put on my shoulders. There are much better structured carriers out there that give you and bub better support. I got an ergo when DS was 8 months and could quite happily carry him for 4 - 6 hours, and still carry him easily for a few hours now at 21 months and 12kg. Ergo's (and other similar styles) have their legs 'froggied' up so they are supported around their bum and legs (if that description makes sense?!). It's my understanding the position the bjorn puts them in isn't good for their hips. Lots of people will have different opinions though, so just do your research and perhaps wait until bub is born so you can try them on with a baby in them to get a feel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: What couldn't you live without?

I dont get the 'crotch dangling' thing, my DD loves the baby bjorn and does not dangle. If adjusted and worn correctly they are great.
    I would wait til baby is born to purchase any carrier or sling as some babies/Mums just dont like them.
    My luxury item is a glider, priceless for hours spent rocking my refluxy baby.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Hug a bub wrap. I loved it more than my Mei tai and peanut shell slings.

Honestly though, my must buy would be a love me baby wrap me up! They were a lifesaver with DS2!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely the ergo. We had to spend 4 nights in hospital when DD was 3 weeks old and I was so ill and hooked up to a million IVs so I could barely hold her. The absolute only thing that calmed her down was DP walking around with her in there!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What couldn't you live without?

Play gym and our Beco Gemini

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nappy bin! Loved it and so convenient. DD is 2 and 4mths and we're still using it.

I also had no issues with the Baby Bjorn. I never kept DD in it for lengthy periods of time, but for walking places/ around the shops it was fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    I dont get the 'crotch dangling' thing, my DD loves the baby bjorn and does not dangle. If adjusted and worn correctly they are great.
    I would wait til baby is born to purchase any carrier or sling as some babies/Mums just dont like them.

For me the problem with the Baby Bjorn (I used a second hand one with DS when he was a baby), was that they just grow too big for it so quickly. I have an Ergo that I use with DD and I can wear her comfortably for AGES. I mostly use the back carry so that she's out of the way and not grabbing everything in front of me. I couldn't live without my Ergo, and I'm using it more and more all the time, I love it.

I think Baby Bjorns are ok for teeny tiny newborns, but I think they just look wrong for bigger babies, especially when they're dangling out the front of a parent facing forwards. It just looks awkward and like the centre of gravity is so far forward. With the Ergo, bub is snugly sitting right next to you, and look so much comfier. With that in mind, I think Baby Bjorns are an incredible waste of money, you can't use it comfortably for very long.

As for other things I can't live without, I still use the little rocker chair thing when I have a shower. DD is 12 months and I strap her into it when I shower so that she's not off wandering around the house. As long as she's happy to be strapped into it I'll keep using it.

I also love the high chair. I have a free standing one, which I like because I can move her around depending on what I'm doing. Like she can sit and have a snack while I'm in the kitchen, and I can position her so that she can see me as well as the TV.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

sunandstars17  (27-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

My Ergo by far, wish I'd bought it earlier!

I also LOVED my breathing/movement sensor for the cot, the peace of mind was priceless

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post

Same! They are supported by their bum, in a sitting position (?)

Anyway, I loved my baby bjorn, and I'm quite petit! He was a big bubba as well!
    Found it invaluable. Also, a sling - awesome, used it HEAPS! I was a single mum so needed lots of carrying help. Apart from those two things, not much at all. He slept with me for the first 5 months