+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 62
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    in the heart :)
    Posts
    1,902
    Thanks
    290
    Thanked
    504
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Re: Do you have easy babies, difficult babies or a mixture of both?

    Quote Originally Posted by CuddlesAwait View Post
    They are right you would be shocked especially wif that's what you think. I'd say 95% of it is that she's a happy baby (by chance) and 5% the environment she's in.

    It's a little offensive to those with difficult babies, it's not 50% our fault, there's nothing wrong with the environment my DD is in, we were just unlucky to have a baby who is difficult and nothing in her environment would ever change who she is or what her needs may be which make her a difficult baby.

    All I can say is good thing there are easy babies out there or we would all be one child families!!
    I disagree. I think environment and parenting personality/style make up much more than 5%. I believe stress during pregnancy may also contribute to baby/child behaviour. Studies have shown cortisol (the stress hormone) affects babies development etc in utero. I would argue environment plays a much bigger role in a babies nature than 'chance' (by this do you mean genetics?). I also believe some 'difficult' babies may have undiagnosed underlying issues, lactose intolerance or reflux come to mind.

    Of course my opinions are just that, my opinions, they are not backed by research. But I also think the claim that the majority of influence on a babies behaviour is 'chance' or 'luck' is quite unfounded. Not that I blame the parents of difficult babies, quite the opposite I applaud them and I acknowledge that their genetics and personality are beyond their control, but none the less they influence the babies they produce.

    Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    873
    Thanks
    154
    Thanked
    300
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Do you have easy babies, difficult babies or a mixture of both?

    Now there is a topic, nature vs nurture, but I think even Plato and Aristotle decided to agree to disagree on that one :P

  3. #53
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    113
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked
    19
    Reviews
    0

    Default Do you have easy babies, difficult babies or a mixture of both?

    I agree, environment has to do with more than 5% of the child's temperament. Sometimes with difficult babies in my opinion, it creates a roller coaster effect, where they are unsettled, which causes the parents to become stress and unsettled, which in turn makes baby more unsettled and upset and goes round and round until bub becomes too tired to fight it.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

    Default Do you have easy babies, difficult babies or a mixture of both?

    How can it be environment when 2 children from exactly the same parents/environment are completely different?

    I look at my 2 everyday and am amazed at how different they both are, when they've been born and raised in the same house by the same parents.

    Nature/nurture both have their impact on children.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Glen Waverley
    Posts
    669
    Thanks
    523
    Thanked
    279
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Very lucky and thankful we have a contented 'easy' baby. Hardly cried (till 8 teeth came through at once), is very easy to read, provide for his needs, and keep happy. No health or feeding issues despite being prem, even when he painted the walls with projectIle milk for a few weeks due to reflux you didn't know till you found the evidence. He was so quiet about it. He smiles for every stranger, is fine in busy environments and doesn't mind if our routine goes out for awhile.

    We were lucky to be trained by the Special Care Nursery in baby body language and how to 'read' babies. I wish all parents could get this training, as it makes it so much easier to understand your baby, be they the easy or the challenging kind.

    Now bub is becoming a toddler, he is frustrated by boundaries, but is otherwise still happy, smiley and sweet- mostly!

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,872
    Thanks
    5,195
    Thanked
    3,896
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Do you have easy babies, difficult babies or a mixture of both?

    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trooper View Post
    I disagree. I think environment and parenting personality/style make up much more than 5%. I believe stress during pregnancy may also contribute to baby/child behaviour. Studies have shown cortisol (the stress hormone) affects babies development etc in utero. I would argue environment plays a much bigger role in a babies nature than 'chance' (by this do you mean genetics?). I also believe some 'difficult' babies may have undiagnosed underlying issues, lactose intolerance or reflux come to mind.

    Of course my opinions are just that, my opinions, they are not backed by research. But I also think the claim that the majority of influence on a babies behaviour is 'chance' or 'luck' is quite unfounded. Not that I blame the parents of difficult babies, quite the opposite I applaud them and I acknowledge that their genetics and personality are beyond their control, but none the less they influence the babies they produce.

    Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    I kinda agree.

    Happy placid child + tense environment= anxious child

    Happy child + happy environment = happy child

    High needs baby + happy environment = generally happy child

    High needs + tense environment = not a happy child.

    I think environment shapes the way we deal with life.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    254
    Thanks
    272
    Thanked
    55
    Reviews
    0

    Default Do you have easy babies, difficult babies or a mixture of both?

    So far, at 5.5 months, DS is an easy baby. I think the most difficult bit is that he is an early riser, 5.00am most days, and I am not a morning person! Oh and the night wriggles at the moment as he is just about to crawl.

    I know it could all change soon though!

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,525
    Thanks
    1,890
    Thanked
    2,539
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I keep looking at the title of this thread over the last few days and I can't for the life of me work out how to answer it!! I mean, what is the criteria??

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    254
    Thanks
    272
    Thanked
    55
    Reviews
    0
    For me, "easy" means DS is a happy content baby, who is easy to read, doesn't scream/cry, and is a flexible go-anywhere baby. Which is exactly what I ordered

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,600
    Thanks
    3,256
    Thanked
    4,044
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

    Default Re: Do you have easy babies, difficult babies or a mixture of both?

    ***High needs baby + happy environment - happy environment destroyed by high needs baby = everyone strung out and exhausted.

    (Oh I jest..... mostly..
    )

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

    wigglemum  (31-10-2012)


 

Similar Threads

  1. So over ''easy'' babies!! **mini vent**
    By OS&N in forum General Chat
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 27-10-2012, 18:55
  2. 2 Babies under tha age of 2?
    By tubster in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 26-06-2012, 20:57
  3. 3 mth old babies
    By Plod1608 in forum Babies (3 - 6 months)
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 09-06-2012, 08:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Nice Pak Products
Australian Made and Owned. The Baby U Goat Milk Skincare range is enriched with soothing goats milk sourced from country, Victoria. Goat's milk has a pH level close to that of our own skin and contains natural sources of amino acids and vitamins.
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Carmels Beauty Secrets
An online beauty and wellness site which offers simple and effective time saving methods and tips which help you look younger for longer.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!