+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do you have easy babies, difficult babies or a mixture of both?

Quote Originally Posted by ~BEXTER~ View Post
    SO far I've had 2 easy babies. Both good sleepers, both fell int a routine really quickly, both never really cried, both ate well.
    ^This and......

Quote Originally Posted by perthmumm View Post
    DD is an easy baby.... so far! she is only 11.5 months... Has always slept through the night, shes always very content. Hardly ever cries.
    ^ This

This is what I define an easy baby. All of my friends who had babies before me had babies like that and that was my only reference before having DD.

I knew still that babies don't always sleep through and do cry when upset, cold, hungry, sick etc but I never knew what difficult actually meant (to me). Now I do....

A difficult baby to me is one that doesn't feed well (won't take breast milk or formula) or enough of it and is fussy with solids, so is always hungry, one that needs to be aided to sleep for all their sleeps. One that doesn't sleep through the night after 8ish months, one that whinges and fusses and cries and never seems happy (well is happy maybe 10% of the time).

All of the above is/was my DD and I consider her difficult.

Everyone knows that babies do the above things and yes it's common but it doesn't make it any easier.

Nor does my personality, I'm a perfectionist, a control freak and an impatient person, which might in fact make her feel more difficult to me but if another parent had the same baby, a parent who is easy going, laid back, patient, they might not be fussed or phased by a 'difficult baby'.

I want to give DD a sibling so we will be going back a second time. Maybe I'll learn some patience between now and then or maybe we will be lucky and end up with an easy baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I was told DS1 was a good baby by family, but I never felt that way. But it may of been the 2yrs of sleep deprivation that made me felt that way. I honestly hated the thought of having a troublesome baby if DS1 was a 'good' baby.
    DS2 on the other is a very easy baby unlike his big bro. Truly placid, and wakes up once a night. It was a big relief. I really have had little problems this time round.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by CuddlesAwait View Post
    ^This and......

^ This

This is what I define an easy baby. All of my friends who had babies before me had babies like that and that was my only reference before having DD.

I knew still that babies don't always sleep through and do cry when upset, cold, hungry, sick etc but I never knew what difficult actually meant (to me). Now I do....

A difficult baby to me is one that doesn't feed well (won't take breast milk or formula) or enough of it and is fussy with solids, so is always hungry, one that needs to be aided to sleep for all their sleeps. One that doesn't sleep through the night after 8ish months, one that whinges and fusses and cries and never seems happy (well is happy maybe 10% of the time).

All of the above is/was my DD and I consider her difficult.

Everyone knows that babies do the above things and yes it's common but it doesn't make it any easier.

Nor does my personality, I'm a perfectionist, a control freak and an impatient person, which might in fact make her feel more difficult to me but if another parent had the same baby, a parent who is easy going, laid back, patient, they might not be fussed or phased by a 'difficult baby'.

I want to give DD a sibling so we will be going back a second time. Maybe I'll learn some patience between now and then or maybe we will be lucky and end up with an easy baby.
    I do hope your next baby is easier for you. I also used to be a perfectionist but have relaxed greatly since dd1 was born. She was an easy newborn 0-6mths then shocking sleeper till 12/14 mths. I mean 2-6wake ups a night! Now we are in the 2yo dramas.

At least with dd2 I have no expectations so she always makes me happy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I have had 6 bubs.
    Some have been easier than others.

I don't expect my babies to sleep through until well after 2yrs.
    I am very easy going and let bub just be, no set times for anything (feed/sleep/play etc). We just go with what works for that baby.

After they turn 2 we start having bedtimes etc...

Thanks
    Reviews

I have been really blessed with 2 easy babies both sleeping through from 2-3 wks,easy to breastfeed, easy deliveries infact easy pregnancies
    Happy, placid, self settlers,
    Does anyone hate me here?
    And with all that I've suffered PND x 2
    Go figure

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Do you have easy babies, difficult babies or a mixture of both?

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry18Bloss View Post
    I have been really blessed with 2 easy babies both sleeping through from 2-3 wks,easy to breastfeed, easy deliveries infact easy pregnancies
    Happy, placid, self settlers,
    Does anyone hate me here?
    And with all that I've suffered PND x 2
    Go figure
    Nope no hate. And even "easy" babies are still babies. And PND doesn't care that you have easy babies.

I had pnd/ptsd with jasper and he was the easier of my two "high want" babies . Katelyn I'm exhausted but I do have a reasonable grip on my mental health. (I also have gotten in contact with a perinatal psychologist when I started slipping rather than totally crashing out)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Cherry18Bloss  (29-10-2012)

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oliver, Jordan, Gabriel and Lysander have been what I would call 'easy' babies...

By that I mean they've always fed well, they are generally happy, no health issues.

They are completely different personality wise. O and J have been go, go, go since day one.... but they were the only two who had day naps up until 3yrs old. They slept really well, very routined from day dot, and I've never had issues with bedtimes. They were very vocal, but you knew exactly what they wanted and that made it easy to meet their needs. But they weren't placid and they weren't quiet. But they were EASY if that makes sense... there was no ambiguity, you could tell in an instant what they needed or what was wrong, they thrived on structure and routine and were happiest when in a consistent routine.

Gabriel and Lysander have been cruisey babies. They hardly cried ever and are very much go-with-the-flow type kids. They were pretty quiet as infants and smiled a lot and didn't worry so much if routine was mucked around, as long as the bedtime rhythm was kept stable. They don't tantrum aggressively and their sanguine-phlegmatic personalities are a great compliment to the choleric-sanguine personalities of Oliver and Jordan.

Julian was a very difficult baby. Screamed, cried, woke 10-12 times a night. projectile vomited everything until over 9 months, late to talk, late to walk. And was very very difficult to 'read' as he was always crying so it was hard to decipher what he needed. He nearly sent us crazy. It's only been the last 6 months that we realised he had obstructive tonsils which was causing sleep apnoea. So that explains A LOT.... he has been overtired for his ENTIRE life, no wonder he was cranky. He's our most imaginative and sensitive child. He now has a brilliant manipulation on words and is incredibly intelligent. He is an amazing kid, but is still very sensitive emotionally and crumbles into inconsolable tantrums at times (as we all do when tired). I'm amazed he's done as well as he has during the days considering he's been sleep-deprived his entire life. He had an operation to remove his tonsils and adenoids on Thursday, so once he's not in pain from that and can actually sleep, it will be interesting to see how his behaviour changes during the day.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews

DS1 was a very easy baby. DS2 was grumpy, whingy and naughty and shocked the bejesus out of me. DS3 was a beautifully natured baby but a very difficult toddler. DD has been an angel baby and is shaping up to be an adventurous but lovely toddler.

Thanks
    Reviews

I've gotten so many comments on how lucky both me and DH are to have such a content, happy baby. Slept though the night at 8 weeks, no problems with latching on, self settles 80% of the time and is generally happy to just play on her own when mummy has housework to do. Family have told me I'd be in for a shock if I had another bub and he/she wasn't like DD! I think half of it has to do with her being born a happy baby and the other half with the environment she's in, in my opinion

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinahbee View Post
    Family have told me I'd be in for a shock if I had another bub and he/she wasn't like DD! I think half of it has to do with her being born a happy baby and the other half with the environment she's in, in my opinion
    They are right you would be shocked especially wif that's what you think. I'd say 95% of it is that she's a happy baby (by chance) and 5% the environment she's in.

It's a little offensive to those with difficult babies, it's not 50% our fault, there's nothing wrong with the environment my DD is in, we were just unlucky to have a baby who is difficult and nothing in her environment would ever change who she is or what her needs may be which make her a difficult baby.

All I can say is good thing there are easy babies out there or we would all be one child families!!