+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do you have easy babies, difficult babies or a mixture of both?

I was hoping for some anecdotes on how many children you have and if they were easy babies, difficult babies or both.

Before having DD I knew I wanted 2 children, but after having DD, a difficult baby, I question whether I want a second as I might end up with another difficult baby.

A friend of mine had 3 kids, all easy babies and well behaved kids and she desperately wanted a 4th. She was in shock when she had a difficult baby.

So what were you 'given'? was it hard if you had an easy first baby and difficult second baby?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have one 5 month old DD who I think is an easy baby... But I don't really know if she is? She's happy most of the time and feeding well but doesn't sleep through the night or ever sleep in the pram which for me would make her easier!

Thanks
    Reviews

My first was in hindsight so easy. My second was a bit harder, chronically sick with tonsillitis. My third - well he's absolutely the hardest baby. And definitely my last. He's been sick since birth with severe reflux, still 2 1/2 years later he is waking at night 2-4 times. If he was my first he would have been my only. I've done absolutely nothing different with any of them. Some sleep well, some eat well and some just don't. I lovely them all dearly, life certainly has its challenges.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a difficult baby - he had silent reflux so screamed a lot, but mostly he was SO difficult to put to sleep each & every time he needed sleep and he took an hour to feed and fed 8 - 10 times a day for the first 3 months. I read back on a journal entry of when he was 3 - 4 months old and I mentioned he'd screamed for 9 hours straight the day before and nothing we did made any difference.

You can imagine I was scared of what #2 would be like.

She was an angel as a baby and hardly cried at all and went to sleep SO easily, self settling 50% of the time and taking under 5 minutes of cuddles at other times. She even slept through the night from around 6 weeks, but she stopped at around 4 months and she's nearly 13 months and still isn't sleeping well at night, so she's far from perfect, but she's a REALLY easy baby in comparison to my ds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first 2 were perfect babies! Slept & fed well, DD1 slept through the night from 6 weeks and DD2 from 12 weeks, before this they would wake for one feed overnight then sleep for 4 or 5 hours. They happily went to other people and DH could settle them.

DD3 was a shock! From the moment she was born she cried!!! She did breast feed well but was very colicky and suffered from reflux, she rarely slept laying down and spent her first 5 months in the hug-a-bub. She wouldn't settle with anyone else and cried if anyone but me held her. Things got a bit better from about 6 months when she started on solids, but she still woke at least 2 times a night, usually 3 and would sometimes settle with a BF, but often needed o be held, rocked and patted to calm her down. From about 12 months she gradually improved, and once she was walking and moving around more she started sleeping through the night. I really think her personality just didn't suit being a baby! She has always been very independent and wants to do everything herself. Now at 4 years old she is delightful, chatty, affectionate little girl, but she sure gave as a run for our money in her first 12 - 18 months!

Thanks
    Reviews

what is a easy baby? i just had babies, normal babies. they cried, they didnt sleep, they went through fussy/challenging stages. thats what babies do, right?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jinxed For This Useful Post:

DailyDiversion  (27-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I've had 4 really easy babies
    That slept through the night from birth. Even DD2 who had repeated ear infections from birth has had tonsils, adenoids removed and 4 sets of grommets, never cried.. DD4 is 8months and went through a 10week stage where she was clingy and sooky and didn't sleep well but perfect again now.
    I would say if DD4 was a difficult bub it'd stop my need for wanting a 5th!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: Do you have easy babies, difficult babies or a mixture of both?

DS1 was a difficult baby, he had reflux and only wanted to be in our arms all day every day.

Then I had DS2 - holy hell I realised how easy DS1 really was. DS2 had reflux, an oversized tongue issue and he got his first throat infection at 2 weeks old, followed by bbeing hospitalised at 9 weeks with R.S.V. he is now 2yrs 3 months and he has been sick more times than I can count, he is asthmatic and for the first 22 months of his life he was so clingy that most days he wouldn't even go to his dad. He is slowly improving but I won't lie its been a very rough few years.

But I'm insane enough to be pregnant with #3 - would happily deal with another clingy baby, I just pray this one has a better immune system than his or her big brother.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Do you have easy babies, difficult babies or a mixture of both?

My first was an easy baby. He was very happy, very quiet, would hardly ever cry..people would always comment on it.
    Second did nothing but cry from the moment he was born. He had reflux which probably didn't help. He was so clingy and didn't ease off until about 3. He couldn't sleep without physical contact, didn't like anyone else holding him. He was incredibly difficult.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I have been thinking about this too! DD was a hard baby. She's almost 15mo now and is great, but the first 3-6 months were really hard. She'd scream for hours on end, terrible sleeper, silent reflux, poor feeder, failure to thrive, CMPI... It was a nightmare. I swore I'd never have another, but we're TTC now! I think it might be easier second time around, even if bub#2 has the same issues, just because I'd be more mentally prepared and have a better understanding of what to look out for/what to do/where to get help.