+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We haven't really set a budget. I'm just 16 weeks and we already have cot, change table with mattresses and high chair. These were second hand from gumtree and were used only for grandchildren and in great nick. $100 there.

That is all we have purchased as I have 50 women coming to my shower so I believe I can wait and see what we have. Bub already has a chest of drawers that we don't use, I have a lounge to feed on for bubs room and know I am getting bath, monitor, car seats, nappy bag etc at the shower.

So many people want to come and give presents so I'm willing to take lol. We may just be very lucky though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    For DD to buy everything it cost us about $3000. Family members also bought us a lot of big ticket items like care seat, chest of draws, pram and cradle. All the little things added up pretty quickly along with cot, mattress, monitor, swing, breast pump, high chair, clothes, blankets, sheets, towels etc..

We also saved $5000 for once bub was here and surprisingly ate $2000 away extremely quickly after she was born. I was in hospital for a week then DD was in hospital for 2 weeks. So hospital parking, food and drinks the whole time I was there along with medical expenses. It added up quick.

This bub we have a cradle and pram and need to buy everything else but our budget it only about $1000 max. Like last time family is sorting out some of our big items.
    Last edited by waterlily; 17-03-2013 at 11:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Check out your local baby markets too!

The only things we purchased new was baby monitor, digital thermometer and car seats. (Of course some clothes too but only in the sales! )

Everything else came from eBay, baby markets and buy swap sell groups on Facebook!

In reality you can spend as much or as little as you like!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Research, research , research.
    Know what you want and know what it's standard price is and then know when it's a good buy on sale. I also believe in investing in quality that's going to last and think ahead.
    Ie We have picked a pram that we can convert to 2 seater it was slightly more but it means in 2 years time we don't have to buy another pram ( my GF just had to buy another pram so in long run spent more)

Most baby shops also price match so don't feel ashamed going I can get this from xyz for $$.

I haven't paid full price for anything, we also didnt buy any 2nd hand. I put sale items on layby and paid off over the pregnancy. I preferred to buy from a store as it gives you a proper warranty etc
    I also interestingly found that 2nd hand was not always cheaper. For many of the items we ended up getting brand new I checked on 2nd hand sites and found people wanted more

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just realised I didn't give costs for big stuff:
    Baby jogger city select with 2nd seat and bassinet $800 ( give or take a few $$)
    Boori sleigh cost with mattress $650
    Safe and sound meridian car seat. $375
    Stokke carrier $175
    Swing $45
    Play mat $30
    Boori bassinet $175
    Electronic steriliser $60

Waiting to see if I can breast feed before buying pump.
    Bubs in our room so no need for monitor.

I also kept an eye out at target, big w , Woolies etc for when they had items on sale and picked up items when 1/2 price / on sale. Ie Woolies have huggies on sale for $29 this week so I picked up 4 boxes.
    If you have a trade secret near you too go have a look as I've picked up cheap brand name clothes, towels, sheets for a fraction of the price.

I also kept an eye out on sites like mumgo ( but sometimes cost of postage didnt make it worth buying)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Won't let me edit, also got bath/ potty/ bath seat set for $25
    Phil and ted travel cot $175

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does anyone know when the baby sales for target, big w and so forth are on?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by clareybear83 View Post
    Does anyone know when the baby sales for target, big w and so forth are on?
    Target and big w had their big one mid year, there's usually one towards the end of the year

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am not having a baby shower so me and DH have bought almost everything ourselves. We got a rocker from his mum and my mum so far has knitted us a gorgeous blanket and beanie and is also going to buy us set of draws. I already have bought a heap of clothes when on special and was also given some hand me downs from a friend. Definitely won't need clothes for at least 6 months. I saw those nappies on special at Woolworths this week I plan on buying some Tuesday hope they are still on special.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We saved $10k which will incl medical expenses ($4). I am hoping to have change at the end of that which we will continue to use for bubs expenses whilst I'm on mat leave. But I am trying to limit additional costs during this time by buying in advance. I do however gravitate toward stylish items which have a higher price tag unfortunately 😞 so you can spend much less. Buying as much as I can second hand too.