+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: How much are you saving for baby expenses (pram, cot, clothes etc)?

My purchases so far have been staggered so I'm not sure on the total cost. Done a layby at target which was $600, strider plus and ssecond seat (forget how much that was) and my cost was $320 I think. I still need a fair few things though like mattress, more sheets wraps blankets etc oh and I've also bought some mcn's on eBay spent around $150 on them.

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much everyone for your replies, this is so helpful! It's great to hear about what you needed and didn't need and this will make it much easier to work out a shopping list and a budget - hope this is helping other readers too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'll be putting aside $1000 ( extra available if I need it)

But will only need a new cot mattress, 2nd hand cot, some cloth nappies and potentially bottles if I can't breast feed.

Already have a car-seat .

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only thing we purchased brand new for bub #1 were Pram love n care zooper $225 on sale, bassinet love n care $130 and change table - grotime bella $199 (bassinet and change table were a gift).

Second hand items purchased cheaply were:
    cot
    stroller steelcraft layback umbrella (a spare) $20
    Baby bouncer $20
    baby swing
    baby bath
    infant bath insert seat $5
    baby bjorn $5
    high chair $20 (this was brand new still in its packaging)
    Newborn Car capsule
    infant car seat
    toys

Onesies/towels/bed sheets/blankets/muslins were from a relative

I can't remember the other prices but they were definitely not pricey.

With the exception of a new mattress, I don't believe in paying full price for anything. Gumtree was my fave website when searching for stuff. I live in a major city so there was heaps of stuff and I feel like we were doing them a favour clearing out their 'junk ' as much as they were doing us one. I also asked around friends.

We have to be extremely budget conscious because me not working for awhile in order to bring up bub, meant we were going to be down 66% of our household income which is a lot.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How much are you saving for baby expenses (pram, cot, clothes etc)?

This is baby #2 for us but as we had been told the chances of us conceiving we're slim and we moved interstate recently we got rid of nearly everything. DH cousin announced they were expecting so were happy to take a lot of it off our hands.
    This is what I have learnt that I won't be buying this time around.
    Baby bath- we had one that didn't drain and I couldn't lift it to empty it due to c section- easier to just bath bub in the sink and loved showering/bathing with her.
    Too many Clothes- we ended up with so many pretty things that she worn only a couple of times as she was a winter bub and we had he rugged up all the time anyway. This time will not be going crazy buying every cute outfit I see.
    Breast pump- I only breastfed for two weeks so waste of money. This time I will hire one to start with.
    Change table- after the first couple of months we ended up changing DD on a mat on the floor instead, I think mainly because the heater was in the lounge Romeo that's where it was warmest.
    We have allowed $1000-1500 to get set up for this bub, which includes maternity clothes for me but not any medical expenses. Most expensive things will be cot and pram.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: How much are you saving for baby expenses (pram, cot, clothes etc)?

For 7mo DD, we had the following before she arrived (all brand new)

Cot/mattress/changetable $600
    Glider chair $250
    Pram & rocker attachment $550
    Convertible car seat $650 (got $50 back with offer they had)
    Clothes/wraps/blankets/sheets $300 (approx)
    Monitor $320
    Tallboy $150

I also had a supply of nappies (DD was 8pd at birth but stayed in newborn nappies for 10wks), wipes etc

Everything else we bought as/when needed.

Sent from my HTC Liberty using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How much are you saving for baby expenses (pram, cot, clothes etc)?

I had my first DD earlier this year after a lot of my friends had had babies.

I bought new a safe and sound meridian car seat, a Phil &teds pram with double seat (pregnant with no 2 already) and a tetra snuggle bed so bubs could go straight in the cot saving on getting a bassinet.

I accepted hand me downs for all clothes male and female (we had a surprise) and only bought a few outfits that I couldn't resist. Baby monitor and breast pump were borrowed from a close friend.

We furnished the nursery with hand me down furniture and eBay. We repainted the cot but structurally it was fine.

I recommend getting the following
    Some sort of comfortable feeding chair
    Change table
    Cot
    Baby carrier
    Pram
    A swing or rocker for baby will make your life so much easier.

eBay is great for clothing bundles but clothes are so cheap now you can buy them over the course of your pregnancy with minimal effect on your budget.

I went through Mater Mothers MGP so was public saving on ob costs.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is our first, although between being given stuff a few years ago by well meaning friends & family & my occasional fits of cluckiness over the years since we got married (cute little black skeleton onesie? I'll just keep it for later!) we've already got a change table, pram & glider chair.

I'm a fairly on the cheap kinda person and plan to borrow as much stuff as we can. I'm also thoroughly suspicious of the whole 'baby industrial complex' thing & as with weddings, believe there's a lot of stuff that they tell you that are absolutely essential but aren't. SIL can hopefully hook us up with a cot. The couple of people I've told at work have also offered heaps of stuff.

As I understand it, you tend to get a lot of clothes at the baby shower so not gonna go too mental there either (as hard as it is!), plus there's gonna be plenty of hand me downs through the family.

The only thing we'll probably end up buying new is the car seat, and hubby wants to get one of those ipod belt thingys from thinkgeek so he can play awesome music to the little Bean

All up I'm estimating to part with around $1k for 'stuff', I'm just hoping I'm not rudely surprised....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't fall into the trap of spending a fortune unless you plan on having a football team and are going to get your money's worth!!! There are so many places you an buy lovely baby stuff for a quarter of the price as the 'brand name' stuff. We ended up giving away most of our baby stuff after DD was born as we thought we wouldn't be having anymore for a while. I am planning on getting all my furniture from Ikea this time for about $700. Don't buy clothes until after your baby shower and in the last month as people will give you heaps along the way of you pregnancy. IF you are planning on using a dummy try and get one of a few different types/brands as some babies can be particular or find sucking on some easier than others. DD didn't like dummies but she did suck on one very rarely but would spit all the other types straight out!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't tell you how much our stuff cost because thankfully most of it was gifts from parents and friends. I recommend not buying clothes, wraps, towels, sheet sets, toys until after your baby shower if you are having one. Most of these things will be gifted to you.

As for things on the essentials list, there were exxy things we never used, like a baby monitor. Don't buy one until bub is actually sleeping in their own room. The first 6 months they might be in a bassinet in your room so no need for a monitor. And after 6 months you might find that you are so attuned to their cries, you will hear them from anywhere in the house. We never used ours.

We bought a bottle steriliser and used it about 3 times. Total waste or money. But our boy was exclusively bf for 6 months and never had formula. He did have expressed milk but by that time we didn't need to sterilise anymore, so we just washed in dishwasher and then rinses with water after.

We bought a Bjorne which we stopped using after a short while because it was killing our back. So I bought an ergo which was way better but I still hardly used it.

With a capsule, we bought one for about $400 but our friends hired one for $120 for 6 months. If I'd known about that option I would have hired as well.

We also hired a hospital bassinet which was awesome. I think it cost something like $100 for 12 weeks.

We bought our pram online for about $240 from amazon.com including delivery. It was a baby jogger city mini. Retails for about $450.

Lots of baby stuff you can buy from Kmart or target and put on layby. Like bath, swing, nappies, cot, mattress etc.

I highly recommend a breast pump but you don't necessarily need it right away. I needed it between 4-8 weeks due to mastitis, nipple thrush, vasospasm.. You name the problem, I had it.. Without my Medela swing, I probably would have had to stop breast feeding by 2 months.. As it was, we are still b/f at 17 months