+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How much are you saving for baby expenses (pram, cot, clothes etc)?

Hi ladies,
    I'm trying to work out how much money we need to save for the one-off newborn baby expenses. Once I have a figure, I'll work out how much we need to start saving each week.
    This is our first baby so we need everything - nursery furniture, pram, car seat, clothes for baby and clothes for me. We also need to save for our obstetrician but I'll work that out separately.
    I was thinking maybe $5000 not including medical expenses - does this sound realistic?
    How much is everyone else planning to save? Any tips from second-time mums would be great!
    I know it depends on what you buy, and I'm planning to cut costs where possible - Ikea furniture, or second hand, but it will still cost money! The list in my pregnancy book of 'essentials' is pretty long.
    Thanks everyone and hope it's not rude to ask about money on the forums!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsStewart For This Useful Post:

Andie86  (29-03-2013),Irinko  (27-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

The things I won't buy 2nd hand are the cot and a car seat. The cot because so many I have seen do not meet Australian Standards. And car seat because you do not know its history, whether its been in car crash etc. You can get a great cot for under $300 easily, mattress is around $120. Main essentials I had were cot, car seat, drawers, swing cos I had reflux bub, pram. They were the bigger items. Clothes, I were buying a few pieces every week, I had several boxes of nappies in different sizes ready (don't get too many newborn, mine was only in them for a few weeks). I had a few Muslim wraps and two sheep skin rugs to put under bub for lying on floor. I wouldn't have even spent $1000 on everything. If you have baby shower, you tend to get given a lot as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There was a thread about this recently. It depends what you want. I spent $500. Others spent a couple of grand or more. Most 'baby essential check lists' are a load of rubbish IMO.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

saxonrose  (08-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just bought:

Love n Care Sleigh Cot Package - $1699 (cot n mattress, change table n mat, chest of drawers)
    Strider Compact - $699
    Strider Capsule - $289
    Baby Bath - $79 (it has inbuilt scales n temp)

Still to buy:

A swing - $250 ish (for in the living room and shed etc, something for off the ground so the fur babies have an easier transition)

Bottle Pack - $200 (has a sterilizer, bottles, warmer, formula dispenser, one dummy etc - I plan on breast feeding exclusively but expressing for dad to do night feeds when he is home, whether this happens or not is another story - I was given a brand new pump)

Baby monitors - $$ (this will be a present from MIL & FIL so no cost)

MCN pack - $590

So that's a total of $3776 so far.

Still to buy are the little things:
    cot sheets
    healthcare pack (i.e.: nail clippers, thermometer, nose syringe etc)
    clothes
    wraps
    bath care (wash, moisturiser etc)
    nursing pads
    nursing pillow
    nappy bag
    wipes
    nappy rash creams

The small stuff though I have been ordered not to buy until after the baby shower.... so once that's done I will a little over $1000 to finish off my BABY SET UP. First bub here too and we had $5000 to do it. (Was actually a present from parents for a honeymoon after our surprise wedding, as they had no input to paying for wedding they gave us that, but we decided to have babies straight away and use it for that instead)

The health costs of OB etc, we already had savings for!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: How much are you saving for baby expenses (pram, cot, clothes etc)?

That's plenty! I hope you don't mind me jumping in here (I'm not pregnant) but unless you're planning on the top brand of everything you'll do great with thay amount of money. I have a 10 mo & my costs were something like:

- Pram & capsule with car seat attachment: $650
    - Cot: $200
    - Cot mattress: $60
    - Changetable with bath: $130
    - Basic clothes (wondersuits, singlets, socks, mittens etc) - $300
    - Bassinet: $150
    - Highchair (not necessary for a few months): $50
    - Bedding (sheets, blankets etc): $200
    - Muslin wraps: $50, if that
    - Cot mobile: $50

They're the basics. I'd recommend stocking up on nappies, wipes, bath wash etc. I did that and didn't need to buy nappies & wipes for a couple of months. I'd also recommend things like Fess for blocked noses, Bonjela for teething, infant Panadol & Nurofen, Lansinoh nipple cream if you plan on breastfeeding (it was a lifesaver for me), nipple shields for BFing, nappy sacks for the numerous poopy nappies.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We spent about $1200, and got a LOT of things which weren't necessary. About half the cost was modern cloth nappies. This included things like a swing, bouncer, ergo carrier & insert, clothes, breast pump, all sorts of other things. The things we got were also quality things which would have been quite expensive to start with. We could easily have spent less if we wanted to as well.

Thanks
    Reviews

I forgot to add breast pump if you are planning on breast feeding. Mine was a lifesaver and meant I could feed for 6 weeks before losing milk completely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've just had my second bub and found there are things you need brand new and things that are fine secondhand. On my new list are cot, mattress,pram, car seat/capsule, bottles, breast pump (I didn't buy it upfront but had money in bank to get itwhen I came home), sheets and blankets and some clothes.

Secondhand I bought a bath/changeable combo (onlybused bath twice as big sister wanted to have bath with little sister!!), bath insert for newborn, clothes, electric steam sterilizer and a baby carrier too.

I also bought 2 boxes of newborn nappies, heaps of wipes and baby powder too. There was heaps of other stuff I could have bought but didn't lol I made sure I had plenty of money in the bank for last minute stuff depending on size of baby etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Such a great useful topic!
    Thank you very much for opening and posting here!

Please ladies don't stop sharing! (till June 2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Depends on how much you want to spend on things...
    We bought a cot/change table plus mattresses from big w for just on $500.
    Got pram and capsule for $580
    Monitor was pricey... $280 ish (bought at expo on sale). Got bassinets secondhand with a new mattress so that was cheap.
    I'm not buying breast pump til bubs is born and I know I can do it. If you are full time breastfeeding you don't really need bottles etc to stsrt with.
    We have definitely spent less than $2000.
    You don't need to spend a lot if you don't need to. Also buying some things as you go along so its not all in one go was better for our budget.