+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    To people I meet, I think I may come across as a 'story topper' but I dont mean to....I am aware that I always have a story about how something like that kinda happened to me but as soon as I finish I am aware that it comes across wrong...I just want to be relateable (sp?) but it totally comes off wrong. I also say things without thinking them through, so stupid sh!t comes out my mouth all the time (not often offensive, just stupid) and then my brain catches up and I have to try work through the embarrassment Lol Also Im very sarcastic but 99% of the time its to get a laugh and not to offend.

Me too.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    London, I havent seen you in a long time. But when I FIRST met you (what? 10 years ago???) I liked you. Thats rare for me So your doing something right
    Yeah would have been almost 10 years. I remember the first time you spoke to me and was like 'WOOT someone here likes me' bahaha ..you were the only one there who liked me but hey, thats alright

3. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (26-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How do you think you come across to other people?

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    People never think I am as old as I am, so no doubt when they see me waiting to pick up DS they are mentally doing the math trying to figure out just how young I could be. Also, I am aware of the looks I get from other mums as I come across as a fair bit younger and therefor must be a snobby sl*t ......I dont dress up for school runs or shopping trips and am a jeans and thongs kinda girl.

To people I meet, I think I may come across as a 'story topper' but I dont mean to....I am aware that I always have a story about how something like that kinda happened to me but as soon as I finish I am aware that it comes across wrong...I just want to be relateable (sp?) but it totally comes off wrong. I also say things without thinking them through, so stupid sh!t comes out my mouth all the time (not often offensive, just stupid) and then my brain catches up and I have to try work through the embarrassment Lol Also Im very sarcastic but 99% of the time its to get a laugh and not to offend.

I always want to give advice but I suck at it so I go silent and do the 'hmmm *sympathetic face*' ...probably comes across as dismissive. This is usually where the stupid sh!t comes out as I feel awkward

So yeah, I think people would judge me incorrectly.
    This is pretty similar to me except the age thing. I look older than I am and due to work status and being married young etc people always assume I am a lot older and are a bit taken back when I tell them my age.
    My family think I'm snobby since I moved to a city 8ish years ago, but really it's just that I'm more open minded and can't stand their small town gossiping and judging about EVERYONE (I really don't care that A had a baby with T and is already pregnant again to T's best mate).
    I can come across a bit distant at work that's because I have been in difficult situations as the boss when I have has to handle complaints about my staff, so I tend to drawn a line between personal and work relationships.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know for a fact that some people see me as a bit odd and stand-offish just because I'm quiet and do my own thing. I dress average, jeans & a nice top. I don't mind going to the supermarket in my trackies if that's what I'm wearing at home.

Like a PP said, at work I just got my job done and didn't get involved in any of the drama or *****iness. I'm not unfriendly to anyone, I've just been hurt a lot in the past and it takes me a long time to open up to people. Typical Cancer - hard outer shell, soft insides

I used to talk WAY too much. I used to 'overly' defend myself if you know what I mean. If someone felt differently to me on an issue, I used to feel as though I had to explain myself and why I felt that way instead of just going "OK, we're all different". I think people used to take that the wrong way, like I was being argumentative, like my way is right and theirs is wrong etc. That's so not the case at all, I'm definitely an each to their own sort of person, but I used to get very insecure and feel as though people were attacking me when they actually weren't. I'm still trying to get over that but I'm doing it much better.

I haven't really 'lived' much if you know what I mean, so I often get laughed at for being innocent and not getting jokes or understanding what some slang terms mean! I kept to myself as a teenager and never went out & drank or anything. So I'm not very 'street wise' and my friends often feel like they need to protect me, like they don't want to 'tarnish' me lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How do you think you come across to other people?

I'm sure I come across as rude and snobby sometimes. I am always busy and doing a million things at once so I tend to brush people off if they're not in my scope of things to do.

We live in a nice home and drive nice cars - though the house and cars would be classed by some as CUB.

I'm always being asked if DS1 is my brother, as I was young when I had him and he looks older then he is, but looks very much like me.
    Last edited by Jakois; 26-10-2012 at 16:22.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: How do you think you come across to other people?

I think a lot of people think I'm older and richer than I am. I'm a 'young' mum by my suburb's standards- had DS in my 20's where the average mum around here has her first in her mid 30's. Also just by living in this area people assume we must have money- we live in the most derro area in a tiny dodgy flat. People get quite taken aback when I tell them exactly where i live.

I do wonder if people get confused about me- I don't really have many mummy friends, most of my friends are still behaving like uni students. I wonder what the other mums think when they see me with my friends barefoot and drinking beer on the nature strip...

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    Last edited by FearlessLeader; 26-10-2012 at 16:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: How do you think you come across to other people?

I've been told I come across as stand offish by a mum at my sons kindy. Because I don't stand around and chat for ages when I drop off and pick up my son. When really, I am just exhausted. My youngest doesn't sleep well and he is a hand full at drop off and pick ups. So I get in and out. But meh if people don't like me because I'm busy with my kids that's their problem

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was told by a few people that they used to be scared of me when I was much younger and pre-kids Got a few tatts and was outspoken, etc. DP would always say it was because I seemed so self confident but on the inside I was so not at all! Funnily enough my work at the time helped me with speaking with people as I had to do a lot of conferences so had to be 'on' IYKWIM.

Nowadays I am rushed...I just have no time. With 1 school aged kid, 1 in kinder and a baby plus a home business and a house to run I just seem to be dashing from one place to the next. I dont were makeup anymore and hair is always tied up as I am sick of bubs yanking it out by its roots. I am also overweight so find my clothing limited to loose tops and elastic waist pants

I see all the mums having chats after drop offs and pick ups, arranging play dates, etc but I just dont have have the time to do that....as much I as would love to have mummy friends.

So I think people must see me as a snob or always angry or something as I dont stop for the small talk...I just dont have the time! So noone ever smiles or chats to me. Thats ok I suppose I am hoping with DD is older and down to one sleep then I will have some more time. And I can look more friendly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    People also think I am snobby and rude when in reality I just feel embarrassed meeting new people and never know what to say. My mind actually goes completely blank when I'm put on the spot so I don't say anything and apparently it comes across as thinking I'm better than everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    My mind actually goes completely blank when I'm put on the spot so I don't say anything and apparently it comes across as thinking I'm better than everyone.
    Me too!