+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question Free makeup/over in department stores??

I've got a ball coming up and have NO idea how to put makeup on. I just don't wear it - very occasionally some mascara or lipstick, but that's about my limit. A friend suggested I go into one of the department stores (Myer or David Jones) and get my makeup done there for free at one of their cosmetics counters - she said I'd probably just have to purchase an item - and I could use new lipstick at the least But I'm a bit nervous - how do I do this? Do you have to book or do you just turn up and say you want makeup done?? Any help please?!

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Just turn up. My best friend does it for Armani. If you are worried, go ask earlier.

babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. Generally speaking you do have to book and you have to make a purchase to a nominated value. I know that the Revlon counter in myer the purchase value is $90. Mac was $90 a few months ago. I used dior a few weeks ago and it was $100. Hope you have a great time.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Free makeup/over in department stores??

I've heard you can get it done for free with product purchase ( and you get to keep the products!) maybe just check with them first. I've heard people talking about this do many times that undoubtedly the makeup ladies have been asked this a zillion times!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Free makeup/over in department stores??

This was going back years ago but i asked in myer in Perth city to have ny makeup done for a ball at their counter and they were going to charge $70 so make sure u ask first to avoid over charge or something. This was with MAC so try different brands some may do it for free

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah most are around $100 to do the makeup but you get $100 worth of products of your choice. Keep in mind if you use lashes that's already baout $40 taken up and the lipstick you need to buy unless you already have that colour, for touch ups.

They book up quickly though! Mac for a weekend spot is normally 4-6 weeks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I had it done with Napoleon and I think I just had to spend over a certain amount on their product. I was planning to buy some anyhow.

Be warned, you will likely look and feel like a drag queen!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Be warned, you will likely look and feel like a drag queen!

haha yes!!! My last one I did with Mac (I mainly just wanted the lashes... I' m so bad at applying them myself) I left feeling like a drag queen. I even asked for light coverage and natural tones and still ..... they get a bit full on sometimes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I personally would never get it done at the counters. I'm a trained m-up artist, and some of the work those girls do is tragic. Also, one look at them tells me that there's no way I'd trust them with my face.

Why not check out youtube videos for tips and tutorials? It's hard to learn to do your own by someone applying stuff to your face - you can't really see what's going on, and it gives you limited opportunity to practice. You'll go home, think of questions, then be like wtf?

Or you could send me a pic and I could help you with some basic techniques and colour suggestions if you'd like?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

RobinSparkles  (26-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    haha yes!!! My last one I did with Mac (I mainly just wanted the lashes... I' m so bad at applying them myself) I left feeling like a drag queen. I even asked for light coverage and natural tones and still ..... they get a bit full on sometimes.
    They drive me nuts. Why do they put so much? I wear make up every single day, even if I'm home all day - but even I admit they are excessive.

I'm doing my own make up for my wedding because honestly I refuse to rock up looking like I have 10 pounds of foundation caked on my face.