+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Visiting Perth for a week

Hi

My husband has a week's work in Perth, and me and our 15-month-old boy are tagging along for a holiday. A bit daunting but more exciting than staying home!

We'll be there for the week starting November 5. I've done a bit of Googling and see there's a festival on in Fremantle for a few days after we arrive. I'm wondering what else me and my boy should see and do while we're in town and hoping to get some tips here! My son is VERY active, loves water-play and swimming and sand and parks.

A few other questions:

Where shall we stay? We're thinking maybe Fremantle? Or Cottesloe? Or would city be better? My son has one nap a day, from 12-2ish, and doesn't really sleep 'on the road' so we'll need to return to our accommodation midday - and I'll need a rest cos I'm pregnant!

Will I need to hire a car? Would rather get by with buggy and public transport if possible. The midday nap could be a hindrance here though.

What are some must-see attractions? Is the zoo worth a visit or is there something similar that's better for wee ones?

Thanks SO much for your advice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I would probably hire a car, public transport in Perth is not that great.

Kings park is worth a visit
    Caversham wildlife park is good
    Maybe for swimming go adventure world?

What festival in Fremantle is on while your here?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here's the festival website: http://www.fremantle.wa.gov.au/festi...antle_Festival

Thanks for the ideas. Having five mornings and five afternoons to fill in a city I've never been to seems a little daunting so I'm keen for as many ideas as possible!

What's the traffic/roads like in Perth? I'm not the most confident driver in new places.

Thanks
    Reviews

Perth CBD roads are bad, lots of one way with bad signage. but everywhere else I don't think is too bad

Thanks
    Reviews

Traffic is fairly reasonable. The accommodation in Fremantle is pretty limited with only 1 nice place that I know of so I'd look into cbd as well.
    You'd most likely want a car, public transport isn't great.
    Hillarys is worth a look, good marina/"beach" for your son, there's also aqwa but that's a bit pricey.
    The zoo is ok but I'm sure there are better so if he's been to one before might not be worth it.
    Last edited by shani2; 26-10-2012 at 10:48.

Thanks
    Reviews

Also I don't think I've ever been to the freo festival but it may be worth checking out, and there is heaps to do in freo besides the festival anyway. The prison, museum, ferris wheel (mini version of London eye)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would suggest staying in either Cottesloe or Hillarys (depending on where your hubby needs to be). Both have beaches and playgrounds and you can walk back home at sleeptime. The CBD is pretty limited for options for that age group, and you would have to drive somewhere for entertainment.

Kings Park has heaps of play options, I rate the zoo pretty highly, the Landsdale Farm is good for that age (a bit of a hike though, very cheap and reasonable food), play centre in Morley (monkey something?). Freo is good to walk around (probably better for mum than bub), Beatty Park swimming pool has just been rennovated for kids (check it's open yet?), East Perth playground is fun.

Perth drivers are notoriously bad, so don't worry if you're a bit lost you'll fit right in.

Feel free to message me if you are here and need help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey I don't know much about Perth but I do know that there is a mining expo on around that week and if you haven't already booked accomodation you might be cutting it fine.

Sorry like i said i don't know anything else but a friend is going to that and dad is flying down to perth for work that week and there was only 2 places left (in the city i'm assuming) that still had accomodation available

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd stay in the CBD and hire a car. Ideas of things to do:

Freo - festival, esplanade, ferris wheel, prison, museum, grab lunch at Little Creatures, markets (Fri-Sun)

CBD - Not all that much but the State Library have an area called The Place just for kids - they often have activities on as well. The Art Gallery of WA is good and often has activities for little ones. 

Kings Park - as well as wandering around the front looking at the amazing view over the city, there is also Ivy Watson playground (fenced) with a cafe attached (Stickybeaks) that has lots of healthy food options. There is also the Synergy playground next to the lake and the Zamia Cafe. 

Play centres - the Beachhouse in Innaloo is amazing. Mighty Jungle in Morley is smaller but still very good. 

Zoo - I would go in the morning as the animals are often napping in the warmer afternoon heat! You can catch a ferry across from the CBD to South Perth which is fun.

Beaches - heaps of them! I like Cottesloe and there are lots of cafes there as well. City Beach is good too. 

North - Hillarys Marina and AQWA. Really nice walks along the coast as well. 

Lake Monger - huge lake which is lovely to walk around and look at all the birds. There is a fenced playground on one side. You can also walk into Leederville's cafe strip for a coffee. 

Shopping Malls - Innaloo, Karringyup, Garden City (Booragoon), Westfield Carousel, Morley Galleria, Floreat Forum etc

Message me if you want any more ideas!

Thanks
    Reviews

Honestly, I personally would avoid the CBD-nothing much exciting and if you're wanting to get around easily you'll just get swamped with commuters! We live in WA and very rarely go into CBD even though we live relatively close by.
    Fremantle is beautiful, and before we moved over here stayed in many nice places! You can get lovely apartments for a good price (try Pakenham St), and you can easily walk everywhere. Marine Terrace has a large grassed area with kids playground which is well shaded and lovely, and the train into Perth is super quick.
    The first time I came over here with DH for a week while he was working and found I didn't need a car-I walked and caught trains and it was fine.
    I hope you have a great trip! =)