+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I found out this week that cows milk and soy have 80% the same proteins. It is quite likely that if they have an intolerance to cows they probably will to soy too. My son does.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Emma1234 For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (26-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    4. Yes, cows milk is cheaper. Formula for 1+ is a marketing tool. For a healthy normal baby that eats well etc, there is no need for formula. They can't market infant formula, so they market toddler formula to try and convince mothers it's normal and necessary.[/QUOTE]

My husband points this out to me everytime we see an ad. Formula has a place but not for normal toddlers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Formula or cows milk, I'm so confused!

Cows milk for kids ( and adults!) is a marketing tool in the western world!

They do not need it at all and unfortunately the majority of nutrients in it has been reduced with pasteurization and homogenization

We use A2 milk, un homogenized goats milk or Almond milk for cereal or smoothies but really water is the only drink they need until their diet is giving them all the nutrients they require

I kept DS on his stage 2 goat formula until about 18 months ( he maybe had 200ml a day) and I did buy the Karicare toddler one ( as goat formula is impossible to find now!) which he used to have once a week if he woke up hungry or was still hungry before bed
    ( also cows milk has 5g per 100ml sugar and the Karicare Toddler has 5.2g per 100ml so the claim toddler formula has a lot more sugar is false)

Also if you do give your child cows milk please be wary that it reduces iron absorption , my SIL is a nutritionist and is seeing a lot of toddlers with anemia and iron deficiencies ( plus it's blamed for a lot of allergies ), cows milk is the first thing she removes from their diet!

if you do buy it buy A2 milk , easier to digest ( different protein) or try and buy non homogenized cows or goats milk from the organic shops, I've even found quinoa milk ( but I think almond milk tastes nicer!)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (26-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Cows milk for kids ( and adults!) is a marketing tool in the western world!

They do not need it at all and unfortunately the majority of nutrients in it has been reduced with pasteurization and homogenization
    I disagree with this. It's quite tricky to get enough calcium serves into our diets (as adults especially!) without milk. I also disagree that pasteurization and homogenization reduces the nutrients.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just looked at some toddler formula we have and some full fat A2 milk that I got for our almost 13mo dd. The formula is 7.2% sugar and the A2 milk is 5% sugar - not a real difference at all and certainly not enough to make formula taste sweet and it's definitely not full of sugar - a lot of food marketed for kids is 30 - 60% sugar, so 7% is tiny in comparison!

My ds had iron deficiency anaemia at age 1 and his paed recommended toddler formula rather than milk so he could get extra iron through the formula (he had iron medicine for 3 months too).

Milk is more expensive than formula for us. We have to buy milk just for our 13mo dd as the rest of us use reduced fat milk and full fat milk is essential for baby brain development. So, at the current stage where our dd isn't drinking much milk or formula (we're trying to wean her off BFing) the main issue with 'real' milk is that it goes off in a week or so, whereas a tin of formula lasts a month.

So far our dd will accept toddler formula happily but has outright refused milk (A2 included). So, for now we'll be using toddler formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    With DD2 i put her on cow's milk at 12 months but she didn't tolerate it well, so she was put on toddler milk until she was 15 months, i will be doing the same with DD3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Thank you all for your replies. A lot of good and different views.
    I still feel confused as what to do though because everyone has such different opinions and stories.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Formula or cows milk, I'm so confused!

I havnt read replies. If you don't want your child to continue with dairy, then don't. There are perfectly healthy vegan families our there.. Most meat eaters just couldn't fathom it as they just don't understand. We are vegetarian (most of the time) and me and my son are dairy free. All perfectly healthy!
    Last edited by Happy2be3; 26-10-2012 at 18:14.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Formula or cows milk, I'm so confused!

Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    I disagree with this. It's quite tricky to get enough calcium serves into our diets (as adults especially!) without milk. I also disagree that pasteurization and homogenization reduces the nutrients.
    You disagree because you've been "conditioned" by the dairy companies to believe that milk is THE premium way to get calcium.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (26-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Also OP animal protein effects calcium absorption so you will find a lot of vegetarians/vegans need less calcium as the recommended daily requirements are meant for a meat eating western diet (I put chia and poppy seeds in everything and roast our veggies in back strap molasses plus eating fresh green veggies/legumes and herbs will give your family their calcium every day without dairy if you choose)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Euphrosyne  (27-10-2012),Happy2be3  (26-10-2012)