+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Formula or cows milk, I'm so confused!

Ok so my son will be 1 in a month and I know a lot of people put their 1 year olds on to cows milk at this age.
    I have a few questions...
    1. Why do we change them on to cows milk?
    2. We don't eat meat, is it best to keep my baby on formula because of this?
    3. Does anyone else think its odd that we are the only mammals to drink another mammals milk? Because this bothers me.
    4. Is it a financially cheaper option to put your baby on cows milk? Is that why it's done? Even when there are formulas avalaible for 1+?

I'm so lost!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have an answer for all your questions but I know what u mean by being put off by another mammals milk... it never even occurred to me but since breastfeeding its really been bothering me. I've been thinking of switching to soy. I think cows milk is hard to digest for babies.
    I suppose cows milk is an easier option too, its readily available and possibly cheaper.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Neekie View Post
    Ok so my son will be 1 in a month and I know a lot of people put their 1 year olds on to cows milk at this age.
    I have a few questions...
    1. Why do we change them on to cows milk?
    2. We don't eat meat, is it best to keep my baby on formula because of this?
    3. Does anyone else think its odd that we are the only mammals to drink another mammals milk? Because this bothers me.
    4. Is it a financially cheaper option to put your baby on cows milk? Is that why it's done? Even when there are formulas avalaible for 1+?

I'm so lost!!
    1. Because its what you do. It's cheaper. It's filling. It's a good source calcium, protein etc

2. So long as bubs has a varied diet and is getting sufficient iron and protein from other sources, it should be fine.

3. Yes, it's odd. But understand that many (not all) formulas are based on cows milk protein anyways.

4. Yes, cows milk is cheaper. Formula for 1+ is a marketing tool. For a healthy normal baby that eats well etc, there is no need for formula. They can't market infant formula, so they market toddler formula to try and convince mothers it's normal and necessary.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babycart For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (26-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I sometimes think that about cows milk, but then I think, we happily eat the flesh of other mammals yet it's inconceivable (and rightly so, of course) to eat human flesh, but we are happy to drink human fluids.

I figure it's the way the food chain works and it's been sustaining the human race thus far, so there can't be too much wrong with it.

Something to ponder....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    1. Because its what you do. It's cheaper. It's filling. It's a good source calcium, protein etc

2. So long as bubs has a varied diet and is getting sufficient iron and protein from other sources, it should be fine.

3. Yes, it's odd. But understand that many (not all) formulas are based on cows milk protein anyways.

4. Yes, cows milk is cheaper. Formula for 1+ is a marketing tool. For a healthy normal baby that eats well etc, there is no need for formula. They can't market infant formula, so they market toddler formula to try and convince mothers it's normal and necessary.
    This ^^^

also, formula is made from cows milk anyway. Unless its a special lactose free one of course.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The other thing to consider with toddler formula is the flavour/smell. They smell very very sweet, which makes me think it would taste different as well, and I would be concerned that it would be harder to get bub on to cows milk eventually. Please note though, I havent actually used the toddler formula's but have friends who have and they also commented on how it smelt sweeter than other formula.

Perhaps someone who uses the toddler formula might be able to comment further.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Formula or cows milk, I'm so confused!

I remember reading either on here or another forum that toddler formula is actually better (lots of nutrients) than cows milk. Certainly worth some looking into I would say.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Toddler formula is full of sugar.

If your child is getting a varied diet, there is no need for them to drink fortified, dehydrated cows milk. At that age they shouldn't be drinking excessive amounts of either cows milk or formula, most nutrients and energy should come from solid food. You don't need to give formula because your family doesn't eat much meat - you need to feed your toddler iron rich foods (meat isn't the only good source of iron).

If you are concerned about drinking another mammals milk, you can always use nut milk.
    Last edited by Witwicky; 26-10-2012 at 11:28.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (26-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

^^^yep exactly this. Once my eldest 3 turned 12months they were taken off bottles and have a healthy diet instead.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (26-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I too have been considering switching to cows milk... the only answer I can find to "why" is because that is what you do, or because they shouldn't need formula anymore if they have a good diet.

We have decided to wait a bit longer (DS is 13 mths) for a few reasons:
    His diet is good and he eats ALL day! but I know that is could always be better and I want to make sure he gets all the nutrients he needs to be healthy.
    We tried the toddler formula but he didn't like it because it is vanilla flavour (another pp mentioned it smells sweet, i guess that is why), so i'm sticking with 6-12 month for another few months yet.
    DS is currently drinking around 500mls a day which just seems like such a lot of cows milk to be drinking when it is much harder to digest and has less nutrients. He is also eating 2 yoghurts a day plus cheese so doesn't need that much more calcium.
    I've also read that too much dairy can also cause difficulties with iron absorption.

I'm hoping that his milk intake will continue to reduce as his food intake continues to improve and then he could have maybe 1 cup of milk a day, maybe as a smoothie with added fruit.

As for the cost, we have A2 milk so I think it actually works out to be more expensive than formula.

Not sure if I have quite answered your questions, but hope my thoughts help.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ilovehats For This Useful Post:

mim1  (26-10-2012)