+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Questions on newborns - cradle cap, eczema and peeling skin

Did your newborn get cradle cap? If so when was it?

Did he/she get eczema? If so when did it start?

Would like sharing so I can know and prepare or it.

How about skin peeling? Is that normal? My DS2 has skin peeling whole body ATM.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure about the skin peeling thing but I *think* it does happen sometimes and is nothing to worry about.
    Cradle cap and eczma, big yes with dd1. Her cradle cap was soooooo bad, red or should i say yello then red raw, made all her hair completely fall out by 4 months. Eczma started rearing its ugly head by 3mths. Tough times. Turns out she is allergic to anything dairy and also eggs. I believe that played a major role in her skin issues. As I was eating dairy and the protein does go through into breastmilk. Soon as she weaned off it made a huge difference to her skin. She still cannot eat dairy or eggs causes hives and vomiting and lip swelling. Not nice.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Smurfberrylizard For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (26-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow...good that the her allergy was worked out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD developed eczema by 3 months. I put all sorts of creams on it, sticking to the natural stuff, but it didn't clear up until I took her to my GP and got a prescription for the lowest strength cortisone cream. After that it was gone within a day

6. The Following User Says Thank You to justthe3ofus For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (26-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    All my three got eczema and dry skin, by 4 weeks. I find using QV in the bath and moo goo or goats milk lotion keeps it at bay. My second got cradle cap around 8 weeks old I used olive oil.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to amesv For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (26-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom2TwoDSs View Post
    Did your newborn get cradle cap? If so when was it?

Did he/she get eczema? If so when did it start?

Would like sharing so I can know and prepare or it.

How about skin peeling? Is that normal? My DS2 has skin peeling whole body ATM.
    No cradle cap. skin started peeling at about 2 weeks old. We were told it's normal. Just used baby oil on her. By 3mths her skin was awfuly dry so we used QV lotion.
    At about 6mths she was diagnosed with eczema and perscribed a cortizone cream and oral steroids as it was a big flare up.
    Now she's 20mths and we only use Dermeeze on her and apply 3 times a day. Her cortizone cream for flare up's that happen mainly in summer. Oats in a stocking in her bath water. Dermaveen shampoo. It's pretty much under control but it's alot of work to keep her skin looking good! Sometimes her skin will just turn awful again for no reason at all and that's frustrating.
    The trick is to keep the skin hydrated as eczema sufferers do not produce enough of the enzyme that naturally moisturises the skin. Keep them cool in summer with loose clothing. Dont overheat them in winter with too many layers.

IMO all the generic baby products for their skin and hair - the nice, pretty smelly ones that are labled as "organic" or whatever are an absolute waste of money. Why does baby lotion/shampoo need to be scented and coloured? Also baby powder in whatever rand - horrible stuff. We use cornflour and it clears up nappy rash after first application!
    Last edited by Hunkamunka; 26-10-2012 at 12:38.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunkamunka For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (26-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. DS2's skin is peeling now. I am worried about eczema and have started applying jojoba oil on him. I don't bathe him every day but give him a wipe down.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Questions on newborns - cradle cap, eczema and peeling skin

Ezcema started about 1 month after birth which turned out to be a combination of allergies and dry skin.
    I changed his washing powder which helped a lot and now apply dermeze every few days. Still slightly dry but hoping I can start applying everyday once the weather heats up as it takes ages to dry.
    Cradle cap here on and off but I found a humidifier in his room helped and it doesn't get as bad

13. The Following User Says Thank You to caribbean For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (27-10-2012)