Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    *intruder alert - not a single parent*
    I just wanted to suggest/recommend this book http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Whos.../9781883672669
    It describes lots of different kinds of families and defines a family as "the people who love you the most". It includes same sex couples, only child, extended families, blended families and single families.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (31-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As a teacher, I teach that families are all different and no one family is the same. When I look at my class, the sterotypical family of mum and dad etc is actually in the minority.
    Some have step families (like mine), grandparents as main carers, dad away for 6 months of the year etc, a mum and dad, 2 mums etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    *intruder alert - not a single parent*
    I just wanted to suggest/recommend this book http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Whos.../9781883672669
    It describes lots of different kinds of families and defines a family as "the people who love you the most". It includes same sex couples, only child, extended families, blended families and single families.
    Thanks Bec

I never considered DS and I as anything but a normal family.... It never occurred to me he might wonder about this as he grows! He has a loving daddy, we just don't all live together

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Izy View Post
    Now are we talking about a 'sort of' family ie kinda
    Or a 'sort' of family as in a type.

There are lots of different sorts of families. So i see the statement as correct depending on interpretation. I would never think that my son and i are anything other than a family. We are a family of two. It's as simple as that.

If someone told me we were a sort of family i would say yes... Just like two adults and one child is a sort of family. Two mummies is a sort too etc etc

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Ah you are wise. I think you might be right in that I was oversensitive and heard 'kinda like a family', where as she could well have meant 'a kind of family'. We are reading 'And Tango makes Three' as her chosen preference at the moment, so perhaps she is fine after all.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Are we a family?

Maybe im jilted and go against the grain.but i think a family has at least 2 adults working together not one adult doing it all.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Are we a family?

Quote Originally Posted by nobull View Post
    Maybe im jilted and go against the grain.but i think a family has at least 2 adults working together not one adult doing it all.
    Really? I don't understand this statement at all. What are single parent families if not 'families' ?

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (19-02-2013),HarvestMoon  (19-02-2013),Maia  (19-02-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (03-03-2013),peanutmonkey  (19-02-2013),SPC  (19-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Are we a family?

Wow! Really? I think you'll find, especially in this day and age, that families come in various shapes and sizes.

How are you not part of a family just because you are a single parent or you are a child to a single parent?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Are we a family?

Then what about the household of two parents where one contributes nothing? Or where a parent works away, like defence force or fifo? Or a widow?

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChickyBee For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (19-02-2013),Ellewood  (19-02-2013),HarvestMoon  (19-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Are we a family?

:what:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Are we a family?

Broken home....how are you teaching kids about sharing or getting along with others when your doing it all by yourself or run away when it gets tough.I did all the cooking ,cleaning .getting kids to bed but still tried to work things out.but yes i spose sometimes people have to "break"family.but its still broken.As far as a widow very sad but still a broken family.
    Maybe im wrong.but i work and have young kids half the time and it sucks not a good family where kids go back and forth no security and always missing me when gone.then the finacial dificulties.