+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have to admit that while my earlier post advises honesty, if I needed the money then id probably keep my mouth shut to get the job too, knowing that im a very hard worker and they'll get more than their moneys worth out of me. But I wouldn't be surprised if they soured on me a bit after they found out.

Good luck, it's a tricky thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    i was in the exact same position. I wasn't yet pregnant when they booked me in for an interview date&time (actually I think I'd only just conceived). However when I went to the interview I was 7wks preg. I thought long and hard over whether I was gonna tell them. I googled the Internet and realised that women didn't really need to divulge that type of info during an interview, UNLESS their job description is such that being pregnant might be a limitation or a risk to the mother e.g lifting extremely heavy items, working with certain infectious diseases (as in my case), Work related plane travel in third trimester. I ended up telling my interviewers because they said at the end of the interview that they were pleased with how the interview went and IF they decided to hire me, my start date would be July 2011. I quickly did the Maths and worked out that I would be 28 wks preg! This led me to tell them I was preg.

Anyway they assured me that their decision to employ me would not be affected by my pregnancy.

I was fortunate enough to get the job and they gave me the choice to start in April or may (I chose May, I was 18 wks preg). I think my openness paid off.
    I got unpaid mat leave cause I'd only been there a measly 4 months before I went off to give birth.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Job interview while pregnant?

Also keep in mind to look for maternity leave positions. It's a good way to get 8 months worth of work, while you're filling in for someone else. That way you can be honest about your situation, in a way that would probably suit your prospective employer down to the ground.

Even if they're unable to offer you a position after your maternity leave, you'll still have the money, and the experience.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII, please excuse any errors!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you lovely ladies!

I thought much and read internet etc etc, what I think I'll do is when (if) I get to the very last stage when the offer is on the table
    I probably let them know just before signing

So if they reject me after that it'll be clearly discrimination on pregnancy

So i'll be honest but not leave the room for discrimination

I know that it' can be then pretty tough probation but i'll have to disclose during that period in any case, and who knows will be better to say during probation and be fired on some silly reason...)

So at least I'll be honest, and will try to prove during probation that I worth the money
    (And probably promise that I'll find the person for my maternity - for this particular job the specific is it's bilingual and I have much better connection in language speaking community and also know lots of graduates keen to work hard, so I can find another proper bilingual person faster then HR I believe))

So the trick is just to convince them what a unique treasure I am for the company, whether I'm pregnant or not, and how beneficial it will be for them to hire me and how lucky they are to have that chance)))

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Job interview while pregnant?

good plan

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII, please excuse any errors!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recently started part-time at a bakery - I was 6 weeks pregnant when I interviewed with them. I feel really guilty about it, but we haven't told our parents so there's no way I'm going to tell a stranger!

I have been doing a great job - they tell me often - but I will understand if they don't want me to work there any more once they find out. I figure I can work until I get too big to fit past the ovens! At least until after Christmas.

I quit my office job in June, though, and really need the money for when bub comes. It does make me feel bad but it's what I have to do for my family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Job interview while pregnant?

Angelini, they can't get ride of you on the basis of your pregnancy.
    Discrimination big time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    Angelini, they can't get ride of you on the basis of your pregnancy.
    Discrimination big time!
    Thanks, Lili - I didn't mean they would ask me to leave ... I'm feeling pretty guilty so I might offer, though!