+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Job interview while pregnant?

hi ladies, just want to ask what you think

I'm almost 9 weeks pregnant by US now, but still it's not obvious and I'm not coming out with the news, at the moment just my husband knows it's more than 1 person in me

I'm finishing fulltime postgrad degree and started to apply to different jobs even before I found I'm pregnant.

And we really need an income before I'll deliver..So I'm disposed to find a job and work as long as I can before the date.

What do you think about disclosure the pregnancy at the interview? Would you do? When?

I don't know what to do. I know that'll be unhonest not to tell - but I also know it'll decrease my chances significantly.
    But if I get the job and tell later - will that be a real hell for me after that?

On the other hand - we didn't even told our mums yet, why we should share with some unknown people...

Please share you thoughts about that. Would you tell? Or did you? When? How the employers reacted when they knew that from the interview?
    Or if you're an employer - would you hire?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Don't tell, get job, do good job, tell in about a months time, they may want you back after bubs.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I was in the same position when preg with DD but I thought it best to be honest. I was fortunate to get a short term contract position for the remainder of the pregnancy. It costs a lot of money and effort to recruit people and 'on board' them, I didn't think it was fair that they employ someone who knew that they were only going to be there for a limited amount of time. Do you have the option of choosing only contract work in your profession?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Mod-biscotti  (25-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thank you Lilypily!
    That was my plan too

I'm worrying will they be enraged when I'll tell, and will that be sort of breaching the trust or some similar sort of work relations issue...
    I just imagine I would really be unhappy if someone would do this to me...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Honestly it really depends on the employer. Some will be fine and others won't. But you won't get maternity leave (unfortunately) so that can be good & bad. If it's a bad company you can just leave when you want (they can't fire you cause you are pregnant) and on your resume it won't be noticeable as you left to have your baby. If it's a good company and things go well they may be happy to offer you work after bubs comes along.

I was in a similar position when I was pregnant. I applied for a job then found out a week later I was pregnant. I did tell a handful of people and the news got spread out to lots more really early on (at my work which I was just at the end of a contract at the time). I never got an interview for the job I applied for (which was surprising as there were only a handful of applicants) and infact I never even got a 'sorry you didn't get the job' e-mail. I was stressing as to what to say about pregnancy and in the end I decided to not mention it until I was offered the job ... what was the point in not applying or not going through with an interview process only to then miscarry and not actually have a pregnancy or a job! But it was a non-issue in the end and I suspect it was because they heard on the grapevine that I was pregnant.

Then a few months later I got a job when I was more obviously pregnant, but only around 18 weeks pregnant. I wasn't keeping it a secret, but I also wasn't 100% sure who knew & who didn't. I was actually offered a job and I accepted it, but the person offering me the job didn't know I was pregnant. It was a short term contract (5 weeks initially) but I'm still doing work for them and got a permanent (very) part time job with them when my dd was only 5 months old so it's worked out well.

So, there can be good employers out there.

Mod-biscotti is online now Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    I was in the same position when preg with DD but I thought it best to be honest........ It costs a lot of money and effort to recruit people and 'on board' them, I didn't think it was fair that they employ someone who knew that they were only going to be there for a limited amount of time
    I think this is really good advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think its best to be honest and risk not getting the job, than not tell and create resentment with them early on in your employment. If they really think you are the right person for the job, they will hire you anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Im not sure what you should Fo but tend to lean more towards Becs advice.

I also think that its pretty unlikely they wont be a bit miffed when after you get the job you say "oh by the way im pregnant". They're going to feel deceived which may put a strain on your relationship with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeah, that's what adding to the confusion

I can put myself into employer's shoes and know what a tough process it is to find a right person...And I hate lyers and I probably myself would not forgive anyone who'll do that to me...

But I'm also in my own shoes! And I feel I have to look after myself too and think about mine and bub's security

And also...I had more than 1 sad stories with pregnancies in my past and that's why now I'm trying not to reveal it before all's definitely good.
    I would keep it in secret from the whole world till the very date if I could - unrelated to the job, just because I don't want to hear all the things again...
    I'll feel bad if I'll tell the news to some strangers, but not mums and close relatives.
    I know that sounds weird sorry
    Last edited by Irinko; 25-10-2012 at 21:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Get the job.
    9 weeks is still fairly early you might not even know yourself! I know of a bride who found out 1 month before her wedding that she was 3mth pregger