+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What foods does your child get at Daycare?

This week my son has had

Chicken noodles and veg
    creamy chicken pasta
    pasta bake
    tuna mornay

Last week he had spag bowl and chicken mustard pasta (cant remember the rest)

I think its to much pasta/creamy foods not enough veg, what do you think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Not sure. Guess it depends on how much veg is included in the meals. Gather the dairy may be trying to get the daily requirements for dairy into the day.

Ds goes twice a week, and they have fruit in the morning, then have shepherds pie, lentil and veg soup with rice, mild curry or pastas. In pretty happy with our cc food offerings.
    Maybe have a chat. Do they work on a standard? Here in SA there is a program that some cc use, based on govt regulations, to get the child's daily nutritional requirements given to the child during the day. Not sure if it's a national incentive. I think it's called "eat right, start right"

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess it depends how many vegetables are in the meals?
    The daycare DS was at until we moved a few weeks ago served the same type of meals but the sauces were pureed vegetables instead of your typical sauces. Do they do something like that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Ask for a copy of the ingredients list - I'm pretty sure they have to have it available. "creamy" doesn't always mean its fatty and loaded with actual cream. I make a creamy pasta for DD but it's just the avocado.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: What foods does your child get at Daycare?

As PP have said, it really depends on the ingredients in each. The only thing that would concern me is not enough veggies, but there may be plenty of veggies in those meals. Creamy wouldn't concern me too much, and neither would the amount of pasta.
    Centres are working off a tiny tiny budget for meals, so they do tend to bulk meals up with rice or pasta. Plus, it's REALLY hard to get a room full of toddlers to eat a plate full of veggies. Maybe a third of them will happily eat it, but then you have 2/3 who will go hungry. They really do have to balance between healthy meals and stuff the majority of kids will eat.
    DS's center also serves lots of pasta meals, and also things like curries and stews and rissoles with rice or mash. One reason they do it is so fussy eaters can still have something to eat. They will give them a bowl of mashed potato and then like 2 teaspoons of stew on the side for them to try.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does sound like pasta is popular at the moment there... I wouldn't worry but yeah if it goes on like that I might start to get annoyed at the lack of variety and nutrition.

DS has things like fruit, minestrone soup, spaghetti, sandwiches. I'm happy with it as he always eats a lot at daycare, whereas he seems to hardly eat anything at home! And I'm a good cook! I cook lots of different cuisines, a lot of Asian, do I'm happy for him to eat lots of veg soup, fruit and stuff at daycare.

I think one of the kids at DS's kindy takes their own food too. If all this creamy food continues I would suggest something different in the suggestions box.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD's centre makes all sorts of stuff, pasta bakes, mince dishes, tuna mornay, lasagne, sandwiches, rissoles etc. They always have salad with their lunches using the veggies grown in the garden. They have fruit at morning tea and sometimes they will have cake for afternoon tea. I'm in SA and my centre is an eat right, start right centre which is a government thing which promotes healthy eating.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: What foods does your child get at Daycare?

My son's kindy doesn't supply food, so my son gets whatever I pack (healthier than most the stuff the other kids take)

Thanks
    Reviews

My DS gets similar to what yours does op sometimes they get sandwiches for lunch and for breakfast they get cereal (weetbix/ cornflakes) or fruit toast or toast. Come to think of it he has not had any fruit written in his day book yet :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

DS1 daycare have food made and delivered . The company is called yummies for little tummies. Google it on their website they have a sample menu. I agree as pp mention it would be hard to get a room of toddlers eating vegetables. I always check what DS1 has eaten because sometimes they have things I haven't thought to make before. I discovered DS1 likes lamb korma so it's now a weekly meal.