+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Thyroid (TSH) Levels - Anyone have experience with this?

Hi there,

Looking for some opinions...so my OB doesn't start to think I'm a crazy lady bothering her every 5 minutes stressing out about something else!

I had a missed miscarriage back in July, ending in a D&C. There was no reason, as often there isn't. But since then we have been working on getting me back to full health. One of the things I was tested for were my TSH levels.

The TSH levels have come back as 2.6. My OB said this was normal, and not to worry about it at all. But having now read some forums, other people have been told by their OB's that they should be under 2, anything over 2 carries a risk of birth defects or miscarriage!

Has anyone else had this tested and what were you told about your results? Should I also ask for mt T3 and T4 to be tested? Should I be worried, or am I just stressing out over nothing?

Thanks everyone!
    PS. We have started TTC again, but I'm not sure whether to hold off on this...

Thanks
    Reviews

My TSH levels during pregnancy was around 2. My Endocrinologist was always happy with that. In fact it started at 4 which was still within normal levels, but she was not happy to let it be that high during pregnancy and increased my medication to bring it down to around the 2 number.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BellaBoo For This Useful Post:

littlelove  (26-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Sorry double post

Thanks
    Reviews
    2.6 is absolutely fine, unless you are already on medication.

Before pregnancy mine was 14 when I was first diagnosed and I was asked to put it on hold until my levels were around 2. Around 2 is perfect fine for pregnancy.

If you start taking medication, you will be reliant on it for life - your body will stop producing the hormones and you will need medication to regulate it for life, which you don't need to do. Good doctors don't put women on the medication until their TSH is over 8! It can vary daily due to lifestyle, stress etc.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to embee80 For This Useful Post:

littlelove  (26-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Normal levels of TSH are 0.4-4 so you are definitely in normal range.

Your doctor isn't actually allowed to ask for T4 and T3 unless you have an abnormal TSH result, you have known thyroid condition, or they suspect one, or you're on drugs that affect thyroid function, or have a psychiatric illness or dementia.

If you're still worried, you can ask them to repeat the TSH in 3 months to see if it has come down and go from there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Your TSH as PP's have said, sounds perfectly fine. Mine is hovering around 2.5 and I am almost 10 weeks pregnant. Mine is a slightly different case as I have to be on thyroxine becuase I have Hashimoto's but I wouldn't worry about your reading. Just have it re-tested every 6-8 weeks if you're at all concerned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine was 3 and my FS wasn't happy, I am now on Thyroxine. Only 50mg though.

I was surprised as I had had a test with my GP and she thought it was fine. My FS tested as soon as I fell PG and put me on it straight away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks everyone for your responses! I tried to reply a few days ago, but my post doesn't seem to have worked...

Your responses and info have been very helpful, and helped me to feel calmer about it. And I do now recall that my OB said that when I get pregnant again she will retest and if it's still at 2.6 she'll look into it further. Sometimes there's so much info to take in during the appoinment it can be hard to remember it all!

In the meantime I've researched into ways to improve thyroid function naturally, and am focussing on that... I knew something was up when I put on 12 kilos in a short amount of time (I'm only 5 foot, 2 inches!), so found out around the time of the miscarrage that my thyroid was slow.

Sadly AF has arrived today...but on the brightside though, it means I have more time to get my health on track and TSH levels lowered slightly before falling pregnant again...gotta look for that silver lining I suppose!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to littlelove For This Useful Post:

FirstTimeMummy2012  (30-10-2012)