+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sitting up at bed time.

DD has learnt how to sit up and is trying to crawl. Until now she has been a great sleeper, put her down and walk out she'd grizzle for a few minutes and fall asleep.
    But since she's learnt how to sit up she just won't do it! It doesn't matter how tired she is, she'll just keep sitting up and rolling around. She doesn't cry or scream, but she won't lay down and sleep. Its taking up to an hour to get her asleep for a nap. I've tried leaving her, I've tried going in and laying her down every time she sits up, I've tried tucking her in tightly. Nothing has worked. Any tips?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

It's a phase that will eventually pass. Other phases include - standing up in the cot, walking around in the cot and then climbing out of the cot.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

TnA  (26-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Yeah we didn't have much trouble with sitting, but earlier this week standing up and shaking the side of the cot kicked our butts!! It seems to be finished now...fingers crossed 😄

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

TnA  (26-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    It's a phase that will eventually pass. Other phases include - standing up in the cot, walking around in the cot and then climbing out of the cot.
    What do you suggest to do during these phases for day sleep? Wait until they eventually fall asleep, or get them up after a certain amount of time and try again? Something else maybe?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CuddlesAwait For This Useful Post:

TnA  (26-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CuddlesAwait View Post
    What do you suggest to do during these phases for day sleep? Wait until they eventually fall asleep, or get them up after a certain amount of time and try again? Something else maybe?
    I was going to ask the same question!

Thanks
    Reviews

DS (now 20mths) was the same, he is now past the sitting phase he gets up wonders around and often will point to a toy he wants in the cot now, sometimes he'll play for over half an hour before falling asleep, even though he is tired.

I leave him in there because even if he isn't sleeping its still some down time. A couple times he has played for the whole 2hrs without falling asleep then I go in and get at the time he'd wake up.

I won't get him up unless he is really crying. I figure that even if the whole sleep/ nap time isn't spent sleeping he is still resting. If they are not crying and calling for you, they are probably are wanting the down time- otherwise they'd let u know!

I've made the mistake of getting him up after 1/2 an hour of not falling asleep- the result a nightmare! He is so cranky for the rest of the day it's unbearable!

I'd try leaving her, then other days get her up and try later to see what best works for your bub!

It's all good till they start climbing out- not looking forward to that!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

TnA  (26-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Another who has gone through this my son is now 18 months, it generally only lasts about a week they just like to practice, as a previous posted said I would leave him in his cot for the amount of time he would normally sleep if he eventually fell asleep great if not at least he had "rested" if he got really worked up or was calling out for me I would go in and try to resettle

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashley595 For This Useful Post:

TnA  (26-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by CuddlesAwait View Post
    I ALWAYS feed to sleep or cuddle to sleep. So my babies get put down asleep. During these phases I co sleep if it takes more than 5mins.

I dont believe in self settling for babies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I ALWAYS feed to sleep or cuddle to sleep. So my babies get put down asleep. During these phases I co sleep if it takes more than 5mins.

I dont believe in self settling for babies.
    This is not an option in our house. DD will not be cuddled to sleep now she can self settle and has never fed to sleep or stayed asleep when put down. I'm glad it works for you and your family though.