+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fake tan is it safe

Hi all,
    Any thoughts on fake tan and whether it's safe to use while ttc or pregnant? I've read mixed things on the net. If I were to use on it would be the dove gradual tanning moisturiser.

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Fake tan is it safe

I think it is unsafe to use any chemical on your body pregnant or not, it gets absorbed into your blood****** so quickly. I would run from fake tan particularly when pregnant.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Ummmmmmm I don't know. Probably wouldn't pregnant.

But thanks! I want to tan my fish belly because my arms and legs are tan but my belly is white and it's just making my saggy second baby belly look worse and dove tanner would be the way to go.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

First trimester no ( to err on the side of caution) After that it depends what fake tan u use and its ingredients but generally its ok. No really any different from using a standard moisturiser on your skin.

Only thing is if its a spray tan be careful not to inhale fumes

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    Last edited by SoThisIsLove; 25-10-2012 at 08:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Creams and lotions do not go into ur blood ****** .. Only sits on your skin .. I wouldn't be concerned.. Or ask ur GP

a spray turn I would be concerned about inhaling it ..
    Last edited by Maybelline; 25-10-2012 at 08:24.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    Creams and lotions do not go into ur blood ****** .. Only sits on your skin .. I wouldn't be concerned.. Or ask ur GP

a spray turn I would be concerned about inhaling it ..
    Err, of course they can, why do you think things like topical steroids have to be used sparingly?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Laydeebugxxx  (25-10-2012),SoThisIsLove  (25-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    this was kinda my understanding...

It's safe for you to use most fake tans during pregnancy. The only products you may need to be careful with are tans that are sprayed on, particularly in a booth.

Fake tans have become popular as we are now more aware of the risks associated with sunbathing and sunbeds. You can buy fake tans as sprays, mousses, creams and wipes. Beauty salons also offer spray-on tans for your whole body.

The active ingredient in fake tan is dihydroxyacetone (DHA). DHA is a type of sugar. It's non-toxic and works by interacting with the protein of the skin cells in the top layer of your skin. In this layer, the skins cells are dead.

The chemical reaction within these dead cells results in the production of a brown pigment called melanoidin. Some fake tans also contain an ingredient called erythrulose, which works in the same way as DHA.

DHA and erythrulose won't harm your baby if you use them as a mousse, cream or wipe. When rubbed onto your skin, DHA and erythrulose don’t go beyond the top cell layer. This means they aren’t absorbed into your system. As your skin is constantly renewing itself, the fake tan fades as the skins cells are shed.

However, if you use a fake tan spray or a spray-tanning booth, then you may inhale some of the DHA or erythrulose. We don’t know how it will affect you or your baby if you inhale the chemicals.

To be on the safe side during pregnancy, try to stick with fake tans that you can apply by rubbing, not spraying. If you do want to use a spray, make sure the room is well aired. Also protect your eyes and lips with barrier cream or petroleum jelly.

It’s also worth bearing in mind that fake tans can occasionally cause allergic reactions. You may not have had a reaction to fake tan before, but your skin can become more sensitive in pregnancy because of hormone level changes. Do a small patch test first to see if you are allergic to the ingredients, even if you used the product before you became pregnant.

Always buy fake tan products from a reputable supplier. Never use the following products:
    • Tanning pills, which are sold online. Tanning pills may contain excessive levels of colour additives (carotenoids) that could harm your unborn baby. Pills containing the carotenoid, canthaxanthin, are banned from sale in the UK and the US.
    • Tanning injections, often called melanotan, that are sold online and in some tanning salons. Melanotan is unlicensed and has not been tested for safety or quality. For your own safety and your baby's safety, don't have tanning injections, either while you're pregnant or after you've had your baby.

Read more: http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnanc...#ixzz2AGBP08yp
    Last edited by BH-tech; 06-01-2015 at 16:40.