+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Size of Fetus at 6 Weeks..

Hi Everyone,

I recently went for my first scan this pregnancy when, by my records, I was 6w4d. However on doing the scan, the doctor informed me that the baby only measured 3.8mm and so I was only 5w4d.

However I have been doing some research, and everything I am reading says that,

"5 ½ to 6 ½ weeks is usually a very good time to detect either a fetal pole or even a fetal heart beat by vaginal ultrasound. Here, the fetal pole may be seen at a crown-rump length (CRL) of 2-4mm, and the heartbeat may be seen as a regular flutter when the CRL has reached 5mm."

Am I worrying about nothing? I have had three miscarriages in the past so the doctor is being overly cautious, but I do not want to stress out needlessly.

Also, should I base my date on my LMP or the scan? We have been trying for 6 months so we are sure of the dates...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was just a transabominal ultrasound. The found a heartbeat easy enough and baby was clearly visible, they just seemed worried that there was such a big difeerence between my date and theirs.

Thank you so much for replying. Every bit of information helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got #2 on board, and when I thought I was 6w 4d, Bub was measuring a day ahead and was 0.83 cm. In my scans since then Bub has been measuring ahead. But with my first child, he was always measuring behind dates. From my Ob's point of view, we used the scan dates even though I knew my own dates really well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies.
    Just wanted to let you all know that I went for my follow up scan today and the doctor said everything loos perfect. Little Jelly Bean is only measuring 3 days behind rather than 8, so the doctor has told me to go off my LMP date. That puts me at 8 weeks today and gives us our first viable pregnancy!!

I just want to say thank you to you all for your kind words and advice. This forum has really helped me through some hard times, and it is so good to know there are so many lovely women out there looking out for me

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikki245 For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (01-11-2012),HunnyBunch  (12-11-2012),Laydeebugxxx  (05-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Size of Fetus at 6 Weeks..

Just a question nikki45, did you see a heartbeat at original scan? Or only on follow up?