+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default It doesn't matter, I guess having a girl is fine

Hi there, I'm currently 17 weeks pregnant with my first and friends and family are already asking me if bub is a girl or boy. I tell them that I have a strong feeling that it's a girl and their responses are always "oh! It doesn't matter. I guess having a girl is fine too..."

What do they mean by that? How would they know if I wanted a girl or a boy in the first place? It really annoys me when I hear them say that. It's so insensitive. They expect that I want a boy to begin with and they try to comfort me by making unnecessary comments like that!

By making comments like that gives me the impression that they will be disappointed if my bub is a girl and that friends and family won't welcome her with open arms...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default It doesn't matter, I guess having a girl is fine

Ohmygosh, what the hell is wrong with having a beautiful little girl?
    Just to be having a bub is amazing so congratulations!
    But if you do have a baby girl, I'm sure she will be gorgeous!
    And think of all the pretty outfits you can dress her up in! (My DH jokes it would have been cheaper to get me a doll! Haha!)
    Maybe time for some new friends?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Nothing wrong with girls, i have 2 and it is wonderful
    Unfortunately i've had people feel sorry for me having girls also (gosh knows why ) I have had people give me a sad face and say i can 'try for a boy next' etc and i'm currently pregnant with my third (gender unknown) and i've already had people make comments like 'Oh you might finally get a boy, fingers crossed' etc and it drives me crazy - i'd be happy for another girl (or a boy, i'm not fussed).
    I have decided that people project their own gender preferences on other people - so if they personally would prefer a boy they assume you would also. People comment without thinking.
    Don't worry about it, i'm sure they won't be able to resist bub once s/he is here (regardless of their sex).

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's not very nice of them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How stupid, daughters are awesome.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have one DD and really want another! People are dumb

Thanks
    Reviews
    Baffling!

When you say people ask you, and you say 'I think it's a girl' that you're not sounding disappointed when you say it? Hence the comments? Maybe they're thinking you wanted a boy.... Otherwise it baffles me as to why people would presume you want a boy!

I got none of that when I was pregnant. How strange!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Girls are divine!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh, that isn't a very nice thing to say! What century are they in seriously?!

I always hated all the "oh, do you know what you're having?/would you prefer a boy/girl?" questions. My standard reply was always along the lines of "I'm having a baby & I want a healthy one."

People always seem to say stupid things to expecting parents. They'll probably go ga-ga over bub when he/she arrives & forget what they said.

Congrats btw & good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm having my second girl early next year, and have gotten a million of those comments. It gets frustrating, but I just say it will be great, I love pink!!

Dhs family is the worst, constantly saying its ok, next one will be a boy. I expect nothing less though, in their culture having boys is very important (something that drives me nuts) I also know that sil who is having a boy 1 month before me will have a much bigger fuss made over her and her bubs. Sucks in my opinion, a baby is a baby, it's something beautiful either way!!!