+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Need some answers to my dumb questions about IPads please: )

Ok, I am pretty good with technology but have no idea about IPads but am thinking of getting hubby one as he is about to go FIFO and would like something easy and portable to take. We do not want any other tablet than and Ipad, I know that much. We both have IPhones however he would like a bigger screen to watch movies and browse the net. Here are my questions (that are clearly not from a technical mind)

1. We would get an IPad with Wifi and Cellular. At home we have a WIFI modem and he can tap into that for data download but whilst he is away, what does he use assuming there is no free WIFI for him to use? Does he have to buy a pre paid internet stick or go on a plan? If he goes on a plan does he have to use an wireless internet USB to get internet?

2. How does he download movies onto it? Through Itunes? Do they cost much? Is there a place you can 'rent' them online?

3. What is the battery life like on them?

4.Do they have an e reader function on them?

5. Do the new IPads have flash player on them yet? What is Skype like to use on them?

6. Any words of advice for them or against? If we don't get an IPad we will be getting another laptop.

Thankyou

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi. I've got an ipad2 with wifi/3G. If hubby has an iPhone he can use his phone as a hotspot/modem to run his iPad as long as he's on a decent plan for Internet data. You download movies from iTunes but its a bit exxy plus would eat up his data allowance. Possibly do his downloads at home when he's here? They don't have flash player on them still and I doubt they ever will. It has something to do with trademarks and Microsoft.

I love my iPad.

HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillah View Post
    Ok, I am pretty good with technology but have no idea about IPads but am thinking of getting hubby one as he is about to go FIFO and would like something easy and portable to take. We do not want any other tablet than and Ipad, I know that much. We both have IPhones however he would like a bigger screen to watch movies and browse the net. Here are my questions (that are clearly not from a technical mind)

1. We would get an IPad with Wifi and Cellular. At home we have a WIFI modem and he can tap into that for data download but whilst he is away, what does he use assuming there is no free WIFI for him to use? Does he have to buy a pre paid internet stick or go on a plan? If he goes on a plan does he have to use an wireless internet USB to get internet?

2. How does he download movies onto it? Through Itunes? Do they cost much? Is there a place you can 'rent' them online?

3. What is the battery life like on them?

4.Do they have an e reader function on them?

5. Do the new IPads have flash player on them yet? What is Skype like to use on them?

6. Any words of advice for them or against? If we don't get an IPad we will be getting another laptop.

Thankyou
    I can't be of much help coz my hubby is the techy one in this house, but the battery power on my iPad (the "new iPad") is awesome, I use it 3-4 times a week to watch TV shows and browse the Internet and I charge it about once a fortnight.
    Overall I love it and it will be fantastic when our bub comes along; my niece is 2 and is getting so good at counting from the number games she plays on it! Plus it's good for helping her wind down when she's too feral to sleep lol

Thanks
    Reviews

Forgot to say, yes you can use iBooks or the kindle app on the iPad. My battery lasts for ages and miss 3 uses it for her wiggles etc shows. I bought a clip on eBay for $13 that puts the iPad on the back of the headrest in the car. So quiet now. Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Use the kindle app or other e readers.

You can rent or buy movies online via iTunes. Do it at home so he uses the home wifi - either on computer or on iPad. Then he should be good to go on watching movies etc on his iPad.

If his iPhone has a good 3G data plan, he can set his iPhone up as a personal hotspot. This will make his phone a modem wifi, and he will need to name it and password it. He needs to then get his iPad set up on wifi with his phone under settings and wifi, then he has Internet.

If you both have iPhones and he has an iPad, you can use FaceTime which is the apple version of Skype. It's great. We used it from Croatia to Adelaide. If you have apple computer you should prob have facetime on that too. Open the program and you use email to "ring", or you can often convert an iPhone phone call to FaceTime.

These are things worth having a quick squizz st online, because I'm sure I haven't explained them well!!

Thanks
    Reviews

I have d/l movies before and converted them to apple friendly version (mp4) using software called handbrake which is free.

Thanks
    Reviews

Moongazer where do I find the handbrake software?

Thanks
    Reviews

Just google handbrake. If you can't find it let me know and when I get on my computer I'll post a link

Thanks
    Reviews

Format factory is also a really good converter. Pretty quick.