+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post
    My mum jokes that there were actually 10 of us and we were the ones who survived.
    Haha that's hilarious. I remember spending entire DAYS in the pool with my two brothers. We must have all been under 12 years old. Mum and Dad nowhere to be seen. Mum says she looks back now and wonders how she could have happily left us to our own devices so much - even she thinks it's lucky nothing happened! Different times I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    Haha that's hilarious. I remember spending entire DAYS in the pool with my two brothers. We must have all been under 12 years old. Mum and Dad nowhere to be seen. Mum says she looks back now and wonders how she could have happily left us to our own devices so much - even she thinks it's lucky nothing happened! Different times I guess.
    Oh yeah, days on end in the pool! We asked Mum about that (youngest sister from 3+, I remember saving her from drowning once) and Mum said "oh but you were all responsible and I knew you would be safe and I checked on you periodically" she couldn't believe what we actually got up to when we told her.... jumping off the veranda into the pool (had to leap over concrete), putting the trampoline next to the pool and trying to jump enough height to jump over the fence and into the pool! Holding each other under water for too long, taking bricks into the pool to see if we could sink ourselves I mean seriously... I don't think I will ever let my kids play around the pool alone if we ever get a house with one haha.

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If someone hits you at school, hit them back harder

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post
    putting the trampoline next to the pool and trying to jump enough height to jump over the fence and into the pool!
    Oh yeah we did this too!! Classic!! Hahaha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: The things your parents taught you that you won't have to tell your children.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I think this is a bit of a sad one, I loved the good old fashioned glass milk bottles. So much less waste and you could use the foil tops threaded onto string for a cool necklace

eta, my Nan used to get soft drink delivered in glass bottles that you would wash out and the soft drink man would come around and collect them to reuse.
    I remember that! the milk man and the soft drink deliveries. Can't remember the name of the soft drink though just remember that you could order them by the crate full.

wanna hear something funny. Dd1 came across an old phone with the old style round dial and she thought it was hilarious the way you had to spin the dial around to the right number and keep going till you had the whole phone number dialled. She is 7.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

MsImpatient  (24-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default The things your parents taught you that you won't have to tell your children.

Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    If someone hits you at school, hit them back harder
    Oh god... DF is a boxer and has been telling the girls (3.5years!) to never start a fight and avoid confrontation whenever you can but if they hurt you then you give it to them twice as hard.
    He's a big believer in girls knowing self defense but really!? :-/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePixie View Post
    I remember riding my bike a marathon to the shops to get baby food for my brother (9 years younger). Suspecting on the way home that the jar had smashed against my bike frame, confirmed that had happened when I got home and having to do the trip again to get a fresh jar :-(
    It felt sooooo far and I was in FNQ so it was HOT!
    I had exactly the same thing happen except with a bottle of lemonade. And it was Townsville mid summer.

Probably how to be safe in an unsupervised swimming pool (we didn't even have fences).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    I won't be teaching my daughter "stranger danger" as it is actually usually strangers who you need to ask for help when you are in trouble.
    thats interesting!! dh and i were discussing this the other night. was all for
    teaching my daughter stranger danger but then dh gave me some scenarios and i
    very quickly changed my mind. no idea now how to approach thw whole 'some
    strangers are bad and do naughty things so you have to be carefull who you ask
    for help/ talk to'
    i used to get asked to walk to the shops late at night to check mums bank account
    , get milk, something to eat or what ever. i was very young maybe like 8 and i did this up until about 14 ish. sometimes it would be at 1am. i was asked to do lots of crazy things that now as a parent im mortifued that mum ever allowed us to do this.

i defs wont be teaching dd how to make tea or coffee for me.... the number of times i burt myself pouring an over filled kettle!!!
    cant thnk of anything else atm but i have heaps more, just have to remember that far back.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Yeah stranger danger is a hard one. Police are strangers. I don't *know* them...

So much simpler with the safe house program.. but that's gone too now, so I guess I won't be teaching my kids if you are lost or are in danger, find a house displaying a yellow safe house sign because they've been screened and they're not complete weirdos...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: The things your parents taught you that you won't have to tell your children.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    Yeah stranger danger is a hard one. Police are strangers. I don't *know* them...

So much simpler with the safe house program.. but that's gone too now, so I guess I won't be teaching my kids if you are lost or are in danger, find a house displaying a yellow safe house sign because they've been screened and they're not complete weirdos...
    No. Good news. Its been brought back to life in my area.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub