+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    I wouldn't say offended is how I would feel... But kids parties shouldn't be about what YOU would like your child to receive... It's about the gift giver choosing a present and giving it.
    I don't necessarily agree. I think when the kids are little that might be the case, but once your kids start going to parties with 30 other kids from school it's got very little to do with what you want to give them (particularly if you barely know them) and more about the party itself. My kids wouldn't even know what gift they were giving. I rarely have time to involve them in the gift purchasing, which is usually done a the last minute anyway. And taking 3 kids to to the toy department is not my idea of a relaxing time choosing a thoughtful present

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    On a separate note, I always laugh at the little poems that people write, trying to make "give me money" sound less impolite.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

babycake  (25-10-2012),Boobycino  (24-10-2012),halloweendee  (25-10-2012),RobinSparkles  (25-10-2012),Sariele  (24-10-2012),Stiflers Mom  (24-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I don't necessarily agree. I think when the kids are little that might be the case, but once your kids start going to parties with 30 other kids from school it's got very little to do with what you want to give them (particularly if you barely know them) and more about the party itself. My kids wouldn't even know what gift they were giving. I rarely have time to involve them in the gift purchasing, which is usually done a the last minute anyway. And taking 3 kids to to the toy department is not my idea of a relaxing time choosing a thoughtful present
    If you dont enjoy or have the time to select a gift that's totally fine, nothing at all wrong with choosing to give cash. But its yucky for the host to ask for cash. People always say "but what about this, and what about in such and such situation". Sorry, its always a no go for me.

What, if anything, to give is up to the giver. The recievers job is to be grateful for the thought, whatever the gift may be. The giver should feel free to ask for suggestions if they want to.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

delirium  (24-10-2012),halloweendee  (25-10-2012),RainbowSky  (24-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally no I don't think it's okay to put that on an invite. Well really it depends on who it was.. close friends and family.. yes okay.. the childs friends from daycare/school/other places then no. I'd do two different invites..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Really dislike money being asked for at bdays, weddings, baby showers etc. I find it rude and ungrateful. I'm sure others will disagree but I really really dislike this trend of asking for money for every event that's held. If people want to give money, cool, but to ask for it? nah I would never do that.

If your child has enough toys, just say no presents required just your presence
    totally agree. I do agree with gift registry's though especially for weddings.
    Hate wishing well's for engagements too, so many don't end up getting married. I skimp on the engagement present but go overboard if they end up getting married.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post
    On a separate note, I always laugh at the little poems that people write, trying to make "give me money" sound less impolite.
    As I'm sure you'd make your feelings known.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Really dislike money being asked for at bdays, weddings, baby showers etc. I find it rude and ungrateful. I'm sure others will disagree but I really really dislike this trend of asking for money for every event that's held. If people want to give money, cool, but to ask for it? nah I would never do that.

If your child has enough toys, just say no presents required just your presence
    I totally agree. It doesn't matter to me what the occassion is, I just find asking for money (or gift vouchers or contributions to honeymoon/house/new bike/lego funds) very rude.

Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post
    If you dont enjoy or have the time to select a gift that's totally fine, nothing at all wrong with choosing to give cash. But its yucky for the host to ask for cash. People always say "but what about this, and what about in such and such situation". Sorry, its always a no go for me.

What, if anything, to give is up to the giver. The recievers job is to be grateful for the thought, whatever the gift may be. The giver should feel free to ask for suggestions if they want to.
    Yes, exactly.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Birthday party invitations - do you think its rude re: gifts?

Sorry but yep, find it really rude! I probably wouldn't bother going to a child's party that asked for money!

I REALLY wouldn't do it. This thread proves that some WILL be offended.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    What if the parents are on a limited income and the kid wants a new bike? We had this situation in DD's class last year - they are the loveliest least pretentious people I know, their DD who is the most down to earth kid I know desperately wanted a new bike, which they couldn't afford, so they made up a little poem and included it in the invitation about how much her old bike was falling apart and how she would love a new one. They asked for $5 to $10 only.

There was nothing about it vaguely rude. I think it really depends on the people, and how they word it.

Personally we probably wouldn't do it as DD loves opening birthday presents (even though almost all of them are still in a box waiting to be played with).
    See I was a child in that type of family. I grew up with very little and was raised that you are thankful for what is given. I think my poor upbringing has strongly formed my opinions on this particular subject. So in the case you gave, if they are so low income they can't afford a bike, surely any toys/clothes/art stuff would be very appreciated?

I don't mean to sound nasty but what happened to just appreciating what is given? I've gotten to the point I dread some social events now bc there is always cash being asked for at every turn...

Thanks
    Reviews
    As I'm sure you'd make your feelings known.
    Its tough when people don't agree with you, isn't it