+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariele View Post
    I don't think it's exactly "rude", but TBH I would probably just say something to the effect of "no presents please, ____ would just like to celebrate his/her birthday by having fun with you!". You would probably still get people who would slip money into a card, in that case.

ETA: "rude" isn't the right word, but IMO "presumptuous" describes it better.
    Totally agree

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Birthday party invitations - do you think its rude re: gifts?

Personally if I got that on an invite to a child's party I would be relieved!
    I hate trying to buy presents for kids, so many factors run through my mind.

BUT

I can see how some would find it offensive

I'm struggling with this too.. We have Christmas than 8 weeks later its dd's birthday.
    She doesn't need clothes, she has to many toys that she won't play with..
    Her attention span won't last 3 minutes into a DVD.
    Crayons/pens/pencils just end up on the walls and furniture and not on a drawing pad..
    Play dough gets eaten and turns into a tantrum.
    She is the kind of toddler that just loves to be outside and play.

I don't even know what to get her for Christmas or her birthday..
    However she needs swimming lessons and our local swim school offers gift cards for swimming lessons (I didn't realize how pricey they are)
    So I have been telling a few family members, who ask what to get, to get some swimming lesson vouchers.

She is in love with all that cheep fake jewelry at the moment and family/friends seem a bit taken back when I say she will be more happy with $2 jewelry than a $50 toy

It is hard, but if people ask what to get your LO just put forth your opinion, but I wouldn't put it on a birthday invitation, some people can get really narky about it.
    Last edited by Liddybugs; 24-10-2012 at 13:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    For DDs 1st birthday we just sent out email invitations and included a link to a fundraising page I set up through everyday hero. We said on the email that DD has been so lucky to have received many generous gifts since she arrived a year ago, so instead of a gift we encouraged a donation to the Starlight Foundation. We kept it all pretty casual and using the donation page meant people could choose whether or not to give money, and could either leave a message or do it anonymously.

It was a good way to make guests feel like they did something good and we didn't end up with piles of unwanted toys!
    That's a really great idea!

OP, I wouldn't be offended at all. After 17 years of children's birthday parties, I love the invites that state what the child actually wants/needs! Makes things so much easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I think because it is not the done thing it can be misconstrued as rude where in reality it makes logical sense than someone wasting money on unneeded gifts. I'm sure that when weddings first started having wishing wells there was threads on Bub Hub about "OMG invited to a Wedding and it has something called a Wishing Well, is this rude?".
    Also because we are text RSVPing instead of talking to the mummies we aren't asking what the child needs.
    I have started to give money and gift cards to school aged children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldnt find it rude but wouldnt put in on an invite myself as it seems awkward. If someone asks you for suggestions on what your child like then i think it would be ok.

Thanks
    Reviews

I think because it is not the done thing it can be misconstrued as rude where in reality it makes logical sense than someone wasting money on unneeded gifts. I'm sure that when weddings first started having wishing wells there was threads on Bub Hub about "OMG invited to a Wedding and it has something called a Wishing Well, is this rude?".
    Also because we are text RSVPing instead of talking to the mummies we aren't asking what the child needs.
    I have started to give money and gift cards to school aged children.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Birthday party invitations - do you think its rude re: gifts?

double post
    Last edited by RainbowSky; 24-10-2012 at 18:12.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Birthday party invitations - do you think its rude re: gifts?

I think it's rude.

If you dont want/need toys or whatever, just put "no gifts please" on the invite.

I imagine some people would ask what they can bring as they still want to bring something. In that case, I think its appropriate to suggest a book, craft supplies or a small donation to bday childs piggy bank. Or whatever. :-)

But I definitely wouldnt ask for cash on the invite. Yuck..sorry!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I see it all the time for kids turning 6, 7 or older. they want something expensive and it's the best way to raise the money. The parents usually put a separate note in with the invitation. Sometimes they turn it into a rhyme involving what the child really wants. I find it really sensible. Saves me time finding gifts for kids who already have so much! They never want much money - I don't find it rude at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Really dislike money being asked for at bdays, weddings, baby showers etc. I find it rude and ungrateful. I'm sure others will disagree but I really really dislike this trend of asking for money for every event that's held. If people want to give money, cool, but to ask for it? nah I would never do that.

If your child has enough toys, just say no presents required just your presence

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (25-10-2012),halloweendee  (25-10-2012),RainbowSky  (24-10-2012),RobinSparkles  (25-10-2012),Sariele  (24-10-2012),Stiflers Mom  (24-10-2012)