+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    You should also ask about how the school usually introduces kindy for the kids. Eg at our school they only attend for a couple of hours a day for the first few weeks before it increases to the full day. While they are doing that you often can't send them to after school care as it's not available that early in the day. It's a PITA if you've got kids who are used to child care and you suddenly have to step back to only 3 hours a day. Makes working a nightmare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post

I just rang school and they confirmed the following (from 2013):

1. prep is compulsory and kids from the catchment are must be accepted by the local state school and
    2. 4 year old kindy is not compulsory, but if a child applies and they are in the catchment area that school must take them.

Hope this clears it up. They definitely confirmed it's the law, and not just as it applies to our school.
    I hate to be the pedantic poster in this thread, but while I can understand that the school you just rang gave you this info, it's not correct. I will try and provide a link to the Department of Education's Early Childhood (K-2) Operational Handbook, which clarifies the position for schools enrollng K-P students.

In WA kindy is not compulsory, so it's a first in, first served basis at your local intake zoned school. If your zoned school is already full for kindy when you apply, you will have to search elsewhere. Your zoned school that has refused your application for enrolment must also help you.

Starting next year, pre-primary is compulsory and a spot must be found for your child. However, there is no guarantee that it will be your zoned school. Current policy from the department states that they are "working towards the goal that, wherever possible, children will be guaranteed a place at their local school from 2013." It won't always be possible. The department is working hard with schools to try and ensure that zoned students will be able to access their zoned school in pre-primary but again, your zoned school will have to assist you in accessing other local schools should their enrolments exceed the maximum number of students allowed per class.

Schools are allowed to set their own local intake enrolment policy for K-P. There is no "law" or policy that is homogeneous for all schools, in so far as it pertains to kindy and pre-primary. There is , however, an all encompassing enrollment policy for Years 1-7.

Our local intake (inner city) zoned school takes children based on a ranking criteria for kindy and pre-primary:
    1. Zoned with older siblings at the school.
    2. Zoned children.
    3. Out of zone but with older siblings at the school.
    4. Out of zone.

Applications for our local school are accepted as they relate to the above criteria and the order in which they are received in. Once the facilities are filled, no matter where your child falls within the criteria, applications can no longer be accepted. For example, there is 1 kindegarten room only at my intake school. My child has no older siblings at the school. If 25 children who do have older siblings at the school apply for the kindy programme, my child would not get in.

I cannot stress enough that you need to call your local intake school to find out what their own particular policy is for the enrolment year that you are interested in. What goes on in one school may be very different in another. Be prepared to enrol your child on the day applications for enrolment are accepted if you wish to be ensured a placement.

Further info can be found in this doc which all school administrators received and can be found on the Dept's website:

http://www.det.wa.edu.au/curriculums...31398&tab=Main

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    I don't mind being corrected on this as it's confusing. I read the document you have linked. The part you quote though about guaranteed local access also says "in cases where a school is linked to a community kindergarten, the community kindergarten will be considered part of the school for the purposes of this 'guaranteed local access' goal." So if guaranteed local intake happens for prep and the school also runs a kindy - won't it also happen for kindy? that's how I read the handbook.

So it's not law - accepted. But if you work on the basis that this is the goal, what our school is saying is they accept it as what they have to do.

I've always said the OP needs to contact her local school to check.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default *spin off* schooling in WA

Oh my! I sorta just needed someone to say 'rock up on this date enrol your child and it'll all be good!' Now I have to worry about a whole bunch more stuff! I have emailed the principle at the school as that was the contact given on the 'my schools' website I know I have years for this but I don't want my baby to miss out just because I wasn't organised enough to ask!
    Thanks everyone for the info!
    Just back to 3 year old Kindy, how do I even find out what exists out there?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Hi.
    Finding a 3 year old kindy program is hard and I eventually found one by word of mouth but decided to use a daycare that ran a 3 year old kindy program instead.
    Most schools have moved away from the half days for kindy but my DD2 is in kindy this year and our school runs 2 full days and 1 half day, very hard for working parents.
    I had a friend who didn't start her DS until Pre-Primary as arranging kindy and after school care would have taken more of a toll on her child than keeping him in day care for another year which ran a kindy program. This has not hurt him academically or socially at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsicle View Post
    Oh my! I sorta just needed someone to say 'rock up on this date enrol your child and it'll all be good!' Now I have to worry about a whole bunch more stuff! I have emailed the principle at the school as that was the contact given on the 'my schools' website I know I have years for this but I don't want my baby to miss out just because I wasn't organised enough to ask!
    Thanks everyone for the info!
    Ask your local child health nurse. Ours was very helpful in that regard when we moved here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I don't mind being corrected on this as it's confusing. I read the document you have linked. The part you quote though about guaranteed local access also says "in cases where a school is linked to a community kindergarten, the community kindergarten will be considered part of the school for the purposes of this 'guaranteed local access' goal." So if guaranteed local intake happens for prep and the school also runs a kindy - won't it also happen for kindy? that's how I read the handbook.

So it's not law - accepted. But if you work on the basis that this is the goal, what our school is saying is they accept it as what they have to do.

I've always said the OP needs to contact her local school to check.
    Your'e only as good as the info you receive Sonja Front office ladies that answer the phone have their heart in the right place but are often short on policy details. As 2013 is the first year of compulsory PP, it's not surprising that there is going to be misinformation given to some parents.

Local kindies are to be considered as part of a school; they're just off-site or off-campus. They will also fall under their local school's enrolment policy. In your example, a parent could go directly to the local community kindy and enrol their child, but if they are low on the preset criteria list as determined by their local primary school, they may not get a placement.

The thing to remember is that kindy in WA is not compulsory (pre-compulsory) which means that while the department would love to have your child in kindy, it's not compulsory and once your local school's kindy class/es are filled (class numbers are determined and negotiated by the dept and the union) there is no obligation for the department and your local school other than to redirect you to a school that does have kindy vacancies, either on campus or off. That could be miles away and totally inconvenient. Principals in neighbouring areas will be in contact with each other almost constantly at the beginning of the year to determine which schools have vacancies that might suit those who did not fall into their local intake school. You can choose to accept a position that's open at another kindy, or keep your child at home for the year.

In PP (and this is going to be a headache for principals next year) if you did not get a spot at your local intake school, you will be offered other vacancies and you will have to take one, as PP is compulsory. Again, it could be miles away. Schools have been asked to analyse enrolment trends in order to anticipate what the enrolments for next year might be. Schools will be receiving demountables to cope with the extra students and are planning contingencies for combining upper grades in order to find space should there be an influx of PP students. Each school will have a final cutoff, as much as the dept is "working towards the goal of guaranteed local intake". But this is for PP only, not kindy.

If anyone justs rocks up with their child at the beginning of the year and expects that their local school has to take them for K or PP, they are in for a rude shock. If there is a vacancy, all will be sweet. If there is not, then they will be on an enrolment merry-go-round.

Hopefully I have answered your question. The department isn't known for the ease of reading in regards to it's policy docs. I'm ever so glad I will still be on maternity leave next year and won't have to deal with this. Principals are already going into meltdown right now, just dreading the introduction of compulsory PP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsicle View Post
    Call your local city council admin. More often than not they are the ones sponsoring 3+ kindies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by kalgirl View Post
    Your'e only as good as the info you receive Sonja Front office ladies that answer the phone have their heart in the right place but are often short on policy details. As 2013 is the first year of compulsory PP, it's not surprising that there is going to be misinformation given to some parents.

Principals are already going into meltdown right now, just dreading the introduction of compulsory PP.
    I didn't think kindy is compulsory in any state? We're from Victoria and it wasn't there.

It's still not the way our school interprets the guidelines and what they are saying (from the deputy principal not the front office). We'll wait and see I guess.

As for the last comment, I couldn't believe it wasn't compulsory over here. It's utter madness that it's not when it is over east. Makes it really in unappealing to send your kids to school tbh when the system is so out of synch.
    Last edited by Sonja; 24-10-2012 at 17:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I believe Prep only became compulsory in QLD this year.

The government has wanted a 13th year of formal education for decades, but an additional year of high school (yr. 13) was never supported. This was how they snuck it in. Make a non compulsory pre school year (can't complain about it, it isn't compulsory) let that sit for 5 or so years, then make it compulsory. Voila, 13 years if formal education. That's my conspiracy theory anyway! Lol