+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes, she will be Kindy 2015. I'm not sure if all schools have kindy's or not. We were Perth NOR, and all the schools in our area had Kindy.

One thing to keep in mind, is that kindy is not compulsory so your local school does not HAVE to take your DD, even if you live in the zone. Some have a cap on how many kindy students they will enrol. So just keep that in mind and find out what cut off date for Kindy applications is.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default *spin off* schooling in WA

Thanks so much I feel a little dumb hehe
    The school I want her to go to is a public primary (DH is totally against private primary Wah!) and that has a Kindy I'm sure! We live in the zone next to it but going to use my in law address but ssshhh

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    We also live in Perth (NOR). DD2 attends 3 year old kindy in Scarborough. It's not compulsory but I love it for her as she has learned so much.

Next year she attends 4 year old kindy at our local primary school where DD1 attends. She turns 4 in April. My understanding is that public schools DO have to take kids from the catchment area for kindy. I know our school does. It's caused massive headaches for class sizes. It's worth asking at the school you intend sending your child to.

Thanks
    Reviews

Maybe it depends on the school then?

We moved to Perth mid way through DD1s Pre Primary year. The school in the zone we lived in (Carramar) wouldn't take her as Pre Primary wasn't compulsory and they had filled their spots.

We ended up getting her into the neighbouring suburbs school (Tapping). Then DS went to kindy there, and at the end of the year we all had to reapply to Pre Primary and there was a girl in DS's kindy class that didn't get a Pre Primary place. Crazy stuff. She even lived in the zone.

That's a huge benefit of Pre primary becoming compulsory. But some schools will still limit their kindy places as it is not yet compulsory.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 4 in April and will be going to public primary 4yr old kindy.
    For a 3yr old kindy program i've kept him enrolled in his daycare which offer a great learning program.

I'll be off on mat leave next year so will be able to take him to and from school. If i were not home and was working, his daycare also do a 4yr old kindy program incorporated within the long day care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Yeah I know it caused us massive headaches too when we moved here 2 years ago. Our local school (north beach) wouldn't take DD1 into preprimary even though we were in the catchment as it wasn't compulsory. So we wound up sending her to another state primary school. We're so happy we did as the school is amazing, but as we're out of boundary we have to go through the hassle now with DD2 and DS1 of trying to gt them in as siblings. I know people who have to send their kids to 2 different schools as they couldn't get them into their local school for prep even though they had older siblings at the same school.

I just rang school and they confirmed the following (from 2013):

1. prep is compulsory and kids from the catchment are must be accepted by the local state school and
    2. 4 year old kindy is not compulsory, but if a child applies and they are in the catchment area that school must take them.

Hope this clears it up. They definitely confirmed it's the law, and not just as it applies to our school.
    Last edited by Sonja; 24-10-2012 at 14:18.

Thanks
    Reviews

Naww thanks for doing that so good to know that if we apply for Kindy she will have to get a place
    Might ring our school to see about after school care seems as their Kindy is only for 15 hours a week but ill be back at work full time come then. Hrm so complicated! Just wanna be organised!
    When do u apply too? The year prior?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OP, Sonja is spot on with her info...just be careful using the in-laws address as you usually have to proved a utility bill in YOUR name with the address on it to prove you actually live there.

Re: 3yo kindy in the Frewmantle area, one I can think of off the top of my head is Stepping Stones in East Fremantle. I'm sure there must be others around the place, I found this list on Google http://www.buggybuddys.com.au/3_year...dergarten.html.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

Naww thanks for doing that so good to know that if we apply for Kindy she will have to get a place
    Might ring our school to see about after school care seems as their Kindy is only for 15 hours a week but ill be back at work full time come then. Hrm so complicated! Just wanna be organised!
    When do u apply too? The year prior? Within a certain time frame during that year? I vaguely recall being told something about before end of June the year prior?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    We had to have ours in by end of August the year before you want to start, but if you are in the catchment and rock up the day before kindy starts they have to take you.