+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Posterior birth and knowing you're in labour.

Has anyone experienced a posterior birth where most of the pain was felt in the back? How did you know you were in labour if you didn't feel normal contractions?
    DS was posterior so I had back pain/early labour for a long time before waters broke. I didn't get any contractions that I could feel because the back pain was so intense. It was only after they induced me that they realised I was having contractions and couldn't feel it.
    I'm aiming for a VBAC this time and as bub is posterior I'm freaking out that the same thing will happen. I'm starting to get period pain and back pain but I know it started around 36 weeks last time too (I'm 36+3 now) and waters didn't break until 41 weeks.
    I'm so worried it will end in another c-section if I don't know I'm in labour or go to the hospital too quickly.
    I really assumed this time would be easier and I'd have a drug free VBAC

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I have a 5 wk old who was posterior. The pre labour contractions were in back and front for me, but when I hit full labor the back pain was dominant and almost unbearable, which is how I knew. I had 3 hrs of actual labour, if you have a look at my birth story there is more detail there. DD was born very quickly after she finally turned. Have you thought about trying to turn your bub? A chiro may help, and also a visit to the spinning babies.com website.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Dd is 21mo old now, so ill try and remember the best I can

I was induced, it was just after they put the tape in I remember saying to my OB, that I had some horrid back pain going on.
    I was told it was from the tap and the pressure on my cervix.. Just to relax really and was given some Panadol lol!
    It didn't go and I had no breaks, I could feel slight tightening around the front every so often but noting major.
    It was just my lower back.
    I couldn't get comfortable but found laying over the side of the bed helped a lot.

Over he night I kept calling midwives in saying how much my back hurt, they asked if I was having any contractions I said no, as I thought it was just back pain.
    They put the monitor on me and I was having some pretty good contractions, I was only 2cm dilated and was told it was early labour.

The back pain never got any better but it also didn't get any worse.
    It just stayed the same consistent pain.
    If I could explain the pain it would be a pressure pain, intense but bearable.
    The monitor was still showing I was having contractions, but I really couldn't feel them, at times my back felt like it was going to snap though, I'm guessing that's when I had a contraction.
    I was just told it was early labour though.
    Fast foward to late that night, all my pain had gone.. I remember being pretty p!ssed off that labour had "Stalled"
    I was sitting in the chair when I just felt this overwhelming sensation in my lower back and my waters broke.
    They checked me and I was 8cm.
    It was only then they explained to me bub was posterior.
    Trying to push was really hard and every time I pushed my back felt like it was going to break, really bad pressure but a heat pack and my hubby running a tennis ball along my lower back really helped take the edge off, so did the gass.

For other reasons not related to bub being posterior, or the induction I ended up having a c-section.
    C-section I knew was a very strong possibility going in for the induction due to some medical issues, but I wanted to give natural a shot, and I did go very far but it was just those last few minuets when everything went pear shaped.
    The C-section had nothing to do with bubs position.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son was posterior too, born spontaneously at 37 weeks.

I had NO pain at the front at all, it was all in my back the entire time.

My waters broke first, then contractions started after that, in my lower back. Felt crampy and achy, and came every 2 minutes or so. Just got more frequent and harder, and stopped me from talking. By the time we were at hospital, I needed DH to squeeze my hips from behind, the pain in my lower back/sides was nearly unbearable. I stood in the shower with hot water blasted on my back.

I transitioned really quickly and I knew it, cause I felt my body pushing for me, and my hips felt like they were ripping apart. My son was born 20 minutes later.

Thanks
    Reviews

Forgot to add.
    I have done quite a bit of reading about posterior babies etc since my daughters birth.
    If your worried about this bub being posterior, I suggest going on the web page "Spinning babies" (ill get the link for you)

Some things you can do during pregnancy are
    -standing on all fours (in a dog like position)
    - getting an exercise ball and slumping over it
    - be as active as possible, swimming breast stroke or just doing light walks, nothing strenuous.
    So in a nut shell trying to have your belly facing the floor for a few intervals a day can help the baby "flip" so that the babies spine is in line with your stomach and not your back.

For labour
    - a heat pack! Take one with you just incase.
    - tennis ball, get your partner to start rubbing it along your back in circular motions, this really helped me.
    - birthing position on all fours to relieve some pressure off your back.
    Last edited by Liddybugs; 24-10-2012 at 12:05.

Thanks
    Reviews

http://www.spinningbabies.com/baby-positions/posterior

There is so much information on this website.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: Posterior birth and knowing you're in labour.

I had this with DS but I didn't know/understand that he was posterior. I was induced and monitored so that's how I knew I was in labour. The pain was awful though so I'm definitely going to look into different things to do for this time around!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

justthe3ofus  (24-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My DD was posterior. My waters broke on the Sunday night and when I woke up on Monday I was getting these awful stabbing pains in my back, but didnt think it was labour since everyone told me labour is like period cramps. I actually posted a thread on here about the pains and was told they were actually contractions!

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm doing the exercises on the spinning babies website and everything else possible to change his position. But I did the same with DS and none of it worked. Or it did and then he changed back to posterior. I'm hoping I can get bub to move and stay put this time but worried if I don't i won't know I'm in actual labour and either not get to the hospital on time or get there too early and suffer all the interventions or other c-section.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I have had a normal and a posterior one. The pain was in similar places (my back and legs) for both. Incidently my midwife said she had back pains with all 5 of her kids and only one was posterior...

So I think the back pain thing is a bit of an urban legend
    I don't think that the back pain is a urban myth.

I think that back pain happens in all posterior labours, but also happens in *some* anterior labours.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to babycart For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (24-10-2012)