+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do u think lots of day sleep ruins night sleep?

Ds is nearly 7 months and we keep the same routine each day and night but he is all over the place with sleeping through the night.
    Eg last night slept 730-5am. Wow
    The night before he was up at 3am to530am then back to sleep
    Night before that he sash up 3 times.
    Night before that he slept until 4am

So i thought about how he sleep in the day and the night where he was up for the day at 3am he had great naps like 2 hours in morn 2 at lunch time then an hour around 4pm. And slept like crap

Yesterday he had about 3hours worth of nap and slept through. So that's 2 hours less nap than day before

Im thinkin of keeping him awake more so he sleeps at night do u think that will work and sort the problem? Any experiences?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

What times are his sleeps?

At that age, I think DS was up at 7:30, sleeps at 9:30-11:30 and then from 2-4 with bed at 7:30-8 and sleeping through.

DD is nearly 7 months, and is up at 7:30, has 20-40 mins around 9:30-10ish and a longer sleep 90-2 hours) in the afternoon, bed 6:30-7 and sleeping through.

All kids are different in what they need. I often feel DD isn't getting enough, but she seems happy!

My CHN has always said good day sleeps = good night sleeps, and whole I do believe that, I think that if they sleep too long it can impact the night.

I'd cut out the 4pm sleep, and move the others back slowly if he's not coping being awake that long in the afternoon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always used the "more sleep = more sleep" rule with DD and she was always a good sleeper. I can't remember exactly what she slept at that age though sorry. Maybe two big naps during the day and off to bed around 7pm.

Thanks
    Reviews

I wouldn't necessarily say that too much day sleep = bad night sleep and especially not at that age. Sleep promotes sleep.

I would instead consider how easily he goes to sleep. If it is taking longer and longer to settle bubs for his sleep and is sleeping for shorter times, that would indicate that you need to drop a sleep and push sleep times back.

I've also read that the time of the first morning nap will impact on the wake up time the following day. So if bubs has their nap early on 'Monday' they will wake for the day earlier on 'Tuesday'......but I haven't really found this to be true for my girls.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Do u think lots of day sleep ruins night sleep?

I keep him awake for 2 hours then nap so like today he was up since 5am and couldn't get him back to sleep so that meant he went for hid first nap at 7am when really i want him to get up at 7.. So he gets more naps because he is up so early.

If i dont give the 4pm nap he is so cranky until bed at 7 is all..
    But i mean if that will give us more night sleep then i will deal with the moodyness

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD2 is 15 weeks and she has three decent sleeps during the day and sleeps all night 9pm to anytime between 7-9am. For us sleep breeds sleep for which I'm gratefully as DD1 didn't sleep through the night properly until she was 9-10 months old.

Thanks
    Reviews

I believe the 'sleep promotes sleep' theory as well :-)

Personally i would skip or reduce the 4pm sleep. And start your bedtime routine around 4:30 and then in bed by 6pm.
    Yes it's early but he is waking early so that's the time to aim for his '12 hour block' of sleep.
    My best friend had a sleep nurse come to her home and this was what (along with some other info) she was told to do with her then 6 month old.
    Anyway good luck with it all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I also believe sleep promotes sleep. My DS was a terrible catnapper around that age, but on the days where he DID manage decent naps he would always sleep better at night. Of course all bubs are individual but based on my experience there is no way I'd restrict daytime naps for a bub that age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My experience has been too much day sleep did result in poor night sleep. I found that my dd sleeps a total of approx 11h per day so if she has 3 hour nap she will sleep much later in the night and only sleep about 8h and if she had 1h nap then sleep earlier and have 10h sleep etc