+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Disposable or cloth nappies...

Hi all,

I've been considering cloth nappies over disposable lately and just looking for some advice or recommendations...

Anybody got any opinions they care to share...

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I love my cloth nappies. I use itti bitti nappies that go from newborn to 20kg

I find that having the nappies there all the time and never running out, or needing to buy huge boxes from the shop is a plus. I also hate the smell of disposables, especially in the bin outside in summer.

A once off cost of buying them, and now I don't need to factor any more money into our budget for nappies until he is toilet trained.

If you hate doing the washing I'd avoid it as it might be too much stress with a new baby, but I put a load on at the end of the day and hang them on my indoor hanger to dry over night. If they have any stains, you can put them near a window to get UV or outside in the sun. I do a load per 1-2 nights because I didn't want to buy more nappies than that as they can be expensive.

There are also second hand selling sites on facebook, so try to look for those as a cheaper way to buy cloth

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love them, I can't even imagine using disposables. We use flat terry nappies and it's really easy, unless as PP said you absolutely hate washing. But it's one load every second day...really not much at all. Super cheap too...

3 dozen nappies = $60
    6 x nappy covers = $60 (can get cheaper)
    6 x snappis = $18
    1 x flannelette sheet from op shop cut up for wipes = $2
    6 x cheap eBay MCNs (I only use these when out) = $25
    Nappy bucket = $10

And of course the cost of a load of washing every second day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I used cloth part time for my first child, and have been using it full time for my newborn, and it's fantastic. they pay for themselves quickly, particularly if you buy secondhand and there are no soiled nappies filling the bin (and landfill).

I have about 40 one size fits all (osfa), as i can't be bothered buying and selling them to upsize. the only downside about osfa is that they can be a bit big for newborn. thankfully my nb was big so they fitted okay anyway.

Although I have some osfa itti bittis (tuttos) and they would fit a smaller newborn well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: Disposable or cloth nappies...

I used them from 10 months with DS and plan on using them from birth with this baby.

Even my DP likes them

Cheaper in the long run, really not as hard as some people seem to imagine, so much cuter than disposables!!

Also I am fairly sure it is what made DS so aware of when he needed to go to the toilet and helped him toilet train himself.

You can check out buy/swap/sell your mcn's on Fb. There is heaps of knowledge and brands you can check out from there.

Also some advice, don't use fabric softener or a drier.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Excellent. Thanks for the reviews.

I found some reviews on hippibottomus and they are a great price, and seems good reviews!

I'll check out the ones you mentioned too!!!

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

We use a mixture of MCN (little ripples), Terry flats and disposables.

Mostly cloth at home and disposables when out and overnight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i second my little ripple, from ebay.
    Makes using cloth just so much cheaper and even more cost effective. I got 10 nappies for only $38 posted. You'll need some more inserts to go in though as they only come with one, but i have a heap of other nappies, inserts and prefolds to stuff them with.

Thanks
    Reviews

I can't remember the last time I bought disposables and don't plan to again except when travelling.
    I love Baby Beehinds which currently have 25% off everything and the Buy and Sell Facebook page.
    My daycare also doesn't mind but even if they did I probably wouldn't care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How many nappies should you buy if your going to use cloth nappies?