+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What anti depressants are you on?

Thank you all I'm at dr's now just hoping she ll actually listen. No one is listening to me...my DH just laughed at me when I told him. He said dr's won't listen because I'm fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was on Lexapro to begin with for about 6 months then moved to Pristiq which both went up in dosage. I liked the Lexapro better. Pristiq didn't seem real to me, the name and looking like orange lollies I wasn't convinced like they were a joke. The Lexapro seemed more medication like as if it would work better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I hope the Dr listens - its awful suffering through depression. I'm sorry to hear your DH isn't taking it seriously. What else are you doing for your depression - exercise, counselling, natural therapies?

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post
    Thank you all I'm at dr's now just hoping she ll actually listen. No one is listening to me...my DH just laughed at me when I told him. He said dr's won't listen because I'm fine
    That's awful that he laughed at you You have to trust yourself. YOU are the best judge of whether you feel fine or not. My DH didn't know what to do when I was unwell, he just kept quiet and put up with it. I had to sort myself out and chase down my own diagnosis, but i don't blame him for it, he just didn't know what to do or what was wrong.

re your AD question, I'm another one that took the herbal route, I've been taking a mix for almost 2 years now. Its made specially for me. I guess I went to a naturopath because from my experience they are a lot easier to approach for emotional problems.... they aren't as cut and dried as a GP - "oh you have XYZ, take ABC, here's a script". It took a little while to settle on the right mix for me, I felt better right away but we changed/improved the mix a couple of times, and ive been taking the same thing for a year now. I like it cos there are no side effects, no weaning on or off... tho if you decide to change to regular prescribed ads, you have to take a 2 week break before starting the script. i can't rem if you are BF or not, I definitely wouldn't take it if pg or BF.

I hope you go well with this GP FX, do let us know how you go

Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you to all of you. Finally someone that believes me
    She has put me on a very low dose of Lexapro(sp?) so low that if I need to stop I can just stop without withdrawals she says i have more anxiety but of course a mild depression but hey it's still not normal!!! I am so excited thinking that maybe with meds and counselling I could start to feel better soon?

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh i guess it's the same dr who had sort of believed me before and put me on Zoloft awhile ago but she wasn't as thorough as today. I felt like she listened this time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I am on celepram, the only bad side effect I have had with it is weight gain. Oh and in the very early stages I was taking it in the morning, and I found myself yawning uncontrollably all day. I now take it at night before bed. It helps with my depression immensely, to the point that I really notice the difference when I accidentally skip a couple of doses. I'll probably be on it for the rest of my life, which in a way I hate being so reliant on it, but if it helps me stay mentally stable then I don't mind!

Seeking help for depression is a very big and very brave step, so well done! Admitting that you have a 'problem' is half the battle. I struggled with depression for about a year before I sought out help for it. It got to the point that if I didn't feel anxious or overwhelmingly sad, I just felt numb. Like an empty shell of my former self. I went to the dr, who tried to blame it on stress of being a single mother *rolls eyes* and insisted that I just needed to snap myself out of it. He reluctantly agreed to put me on the meds, though it was a very low dose (10mg). I tried it for a month and whilst it took a bit of the edge off, it really wasn't enough. I demanded to see a psych, who slowly increased it up to 40mg.

It's not a quick fix as such, it helps to implement other lifestyle changes as well. But I found that on the medication, it is easier to snap myself out of negative thought patterns rather than basically drowning in them, and motivate myself to make positive changes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm glad you found a supportive doctor!

I was diagnosed with depression at 16 (though had the symptoms since 7-8). The doctor first tried me on zoloft which was a no go for me. I've tried so many ADs! Including Lexapro, and Effexor 150mg. I was on Effexor for a couple of years. The only side effect I really had was a non-existant libido . I started Cymbalta about a week ago (it sucks, I'm 21 and still trying to find the pill that works for me!) but it's been going well. The best I've had yet. I still have no libido but I've found my moods are even better. I didn't realise I could have a better AD after being on Effexor for so long! Anyway.... back to the point.

Anxiety and depression often go hand in hand. When one gets worse, in my experience, so does the other.

I hope now that you have a diagnosis your husband will take you more seriously. Family support is the most important tool you can have. Best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

Those with experience on Lexapro does the first day feeling of yuk go away? It's not as bad as Zoloft anyway.