+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Purple it is not the end of the world, just adjust your evening meal to fit the calories in.

I second/third the get rid of the temptation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got rid of everything else when we started but bought these on impulse when grocery shopping. Intended for hubby and bubby to eat them, which they did, but not fast enough. From now on it will only be salt and vinegar chips for hubby (blegh!) and string cheese and/or milk arrowroots for bubby coz i dont like them much either.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thumbs up I finally made it here!

Hi Kell,
    I finally made it in here
    Great to see you're off to a good start. Don't worry about the little things here and there, the most important thing is the overall trend. Plus research has shown that people who stick to a 'diet'/way of eating 90% of the time stick it out for longer and get better long and short-term results than 100%ers. This is why I tell people to plan to have a 10% meal. 10% meal are great because they allow you to have something guilt free that you wouldn't otherwise have. This is where my love of gelato, snickers bars and Pad Thai comes in! I actually plan to have something like this every 3 or so days (every 10 meals ish). I eat 4 meals a day, because that's how I find I naturally get hungry, so I just tick off my 9 good meals and then eat ice-cream! It's not only the mental reward of eating something different it also means that when you do have these things your body won't freak out and hold water or leave you feeling yuck (as long as you don't over do it). I try and keep these meals between 300 and 600 calories. It's one of the few times I count calories, but it's good to have an upper limit, and that's a lot of ice-cream or a decent plate of noodles!

For the rest of my meals I have some simple rules:
    Vegies with every meal. We know they're good for us and are full of fibre and vitamins. Even breakfast isn't hard- eggs mushroom tomato and spinach or munch on a carrot or cucumber while your making a coffee or chasing after the rest of the family!
    Protein with every meal but not a lot. It doesn't have to be expensive. It could be some cottage cheese and berries on top of oats soaked in yoghurt, a few chicken meatballs in a giant salad, a chicken or tuna sandwich (with good bread) or something more traditional for dinner.
    Plan and eat regular meals Every weekend sit down and plan ALL of your meals for the week. Then shop and chop everything you can in advance. No need to be cutting up onions and garlic every night (there's heaps on this in my book). If you have time to get a big stew or soup on do it, if not then at least you've got lots of chopped fresh veg in the fridge for 'emergencies'. I know it's harder with kids but if you've got a plan it's easier to grab stuff. My training partner has 2 kids under 2 and 1/2 years and she lost 15kg in the 6 months with good nutrition and weight training only (no cardio) after her second son was born. She's also the most organised person I know! She's always got food ready in her fridge and freezer for her and her boys. She's in this month's Oxygen Magazine too after she set an Australia record in Powerlifting
    Avoid sugar and processed carbs and don't eat too many starchy ones: This is different to low carb. This means that things in packets are mostly out unless it's one or two ingredients. This also means you don't need 12 weetbix to make a breakfast or a massive serve of rice or potatoes with dinner. Learn sensible sized carbohydrate portion (about 1/2 cup cooked for rice, pasta and other grains. About 1 medium potato). You don't need them with every meal either, instead base your meals around fiborous vegetables and have the carbs and protein as 'accessories'.
    Add flavour: garlic, chilli, herbs, spices, SALT all make food taste good and don't make you fat. Using a natural sea/river salt which is coloured (pink or grey) adds important minerals to your food, makes it taste better and won't cause fluid retention like processed salts and MSG will.
    Drink lots of water about 500ml for every 10kg you weigh (up to 6 litres). I tick my water off on the fridge and make sure I fill several bottles at the beginning of the day. If you don't drink water you won't go to the toilet and if you don't go to the toilet then how's the fat meant to get out?!?!
    Move Everyday this is a zumba challenge thread so I assume you're allready all over this! For me it can be as simple as walking to the post office/shops instead of driving (I'm sure it takes the same amount of time to put kids in a stroller as a car). A quick walk around the block or on a local walking trail with also get you some sunlight (Vitamin D) which will improve your mood, sleep and maybe even cholesterol.

Hope that helps.
    I'm happy to answer any specific questions anyone has. I love talking about food and nutrition and have seen the difference good food habits have made to my training partner after her pregnancies and even to the growth of her youngest son while she breastfeeds him.

Cheers
    Mish

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MichelleKoen For This Useful Post:

BH-bubhub  (14-11-2012)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi Michelle. What fantastic advice. I have been having oats with some yoghurt, lsa and milk for breakfast (sometimes adding some berries or other fruit, depends how awake I am). Is that an ok breakfast?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default If it has numbers on the ingredient list...

Thanks heaps Mich, amazing advice! We all have our Zumba to take care of the exercise but nothing in particular to focus on regarding food. Hopefully your post will help not just me but everyone else following along.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Hi Michelle. What fantastic advice. I have been having oats with some yoghurt, lsa and milk for breakfast (sometimes adding some berries or other fruit, depends how awake I am). Is that an ok breakfast?
    I'd chuck in a little bit of cottage cheese, quark or low-fat ricotta just to boost the protein a bit and don't forget your veggies!

Thanks
    Reviews

Here is another food question. I have read about not eating after a certain time of night but also about not wanting your body to go into "starvation mode", making it hold onto everything you eat. Three nights a week I am work from early afternoon through until 11pm at night. Suffice to say after eating dinner at work around 6.30pm by the time I am driving home at 11.30pm I am hungry. My question is should I go to bed hungry or not and if I should eat before bed, what should I eat?

Thanks
    Reviews

Here is another food question. I have read about not eating after a certain time of night but also about not wanting your body to go into "starvation mode", making it hold onto everything you eat. Three nights a week I am work from early afternoon through until 11pm at night. Suffice to say after eating dinner at work around 6.30pm by the time I am driving home at 11.30pm I am hungry. My question is should I go to bed hungry or not and if I should eat before bed, what should I eat?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Kel,
    This would fall into 'myth'. You can get leaner eating late at night and even eating carbs at night. It's mostly about your total food intake for the day. Otherwise the Spanish would be a very fat country. They don't eat dinner until at least 10pm!

I think this concept came about because when you're tired your body craves energy. If the energy is in excess of what you actually will use then of course you will gain fat. However, if you have the same amount of meals and those meals are the same as you would have had but just later in the day then they will not make you gain fat. The only food I wouldn't recommend before bed is anything sugary, including fruit. Sugar is an immediate energy source. Use it or it'll turn to fat a lot easier than other kinds of food.

So on your later working days you could either start eating a little later in the day and just move all your meals along one. OR you could divide the meals up so that instead of 4 meals of a certain portion size you have 5 slightly smaller ones. OR just eat vegetables when you get home. Vegetables will make you full way before they make you fat. Things like carrot and celery contain lots of water and fibre so they will fill you up and if you choose some raw ones they'll even have that crunch that is so nice when you're tired.
    I hope that helps.
    Mish

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MichelleKoen For This Useful Post:

purplesparkles  (21-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

I'm so glad you asked that question, purple and thanks for the answer, Michelle! I've always wondered about that, too!