+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Anyone have any idea for leftover cooked sausages? I usually add them to a pasta bake, just seeing if anyone else has a better suggestion
    I used to cut them up and make a 'sausage meal' with pasta. Fry the cut sausage with soy sauce and herbs then add thawed frozen veggies and pasta sauce. Id snap long pasta (fettucini) into roughly 3cm bits and chuck that in there too and let it all cook away. Serve and add grated cheese. Was yumm. Havent made it YEARS though cos I forgot exactly what I used to put in it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Budget recipes?

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I used to cut them up and make a 'sausage meal' with pasta. Fry the cut sausage with soy sauce and herbs then add thawed frozen veggies and pasta sauce. Id snap long pasta (fettucini) into roughly 3cm bits and chuck that in there too and let it all cook away. Serve and add grated cheese. Was yumm. Havent made it YEARS though cos I forgot exactly what I used to put in it
    That's very similar to my pasta bake, though I cook the pasta separately. Hadn't thought to add soy though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Budget recipes?

Quote Originally Posted by Mahjong View Post
    Curried snags?
    Ooh thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I use to do a really yum sausage paella (well I thought it was nice ) but like London I have forgotten exactly what was in it, the recipe was from a recipes plus magazine, I know it had turmeric, cumin and paprika, rice obviously and a tin of tomatoes, onion, capsicum and some stock.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaandOllie View Post
    I use to do a really yum sausage paella (well I thought it was nice ) but like London I have forgotten exactly what was in it, the recipe was from a recipes plus magazine, I know it had turmeric, cumin and paprika, rice obviously and a tin of tomatoes, onion, capsicum and some stock.
    PAPRIKA!! TIN TOMATOES!! These were both used in my sausage meal but I had totally forgotten hahah Thank you!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (13-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just found the magazine (from 2009)! I'll put the recipe here just in case
    It actually says to use 550g of chicken thigh and two thick beef sausages but I won't mix meats so only ever made it using whatever sausages I had (usually about 5-6), plus the notes say you can omit chicken and use extra sausages. So on top of your meat you need;
    1 onion
    1 red capsicum
    2 gloves crushed garlic
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon ground turmeric
    1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
    400g can tomatoes
    2 cups chicken stock
    3/4 frozen peas
    1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves (I never added that lol)

Cut sausages into slices.
    Fry onion, capsicum and garlic for 2-3 mins or until soft.
    Add cumin, turmeric, rice, tomatoes and stock to frying pan, stir well until combined. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until rice is tender.
    Remove lid/covering. Stir in peas and sausage. Cook a further 1-2 minutes or until heated. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
    Last edited by TableDancer; 13-01-2013 at 16:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    PAPRIKA!! TIN TOMATOES!! These were both used in my sausage meal but I had totally forgotten hahah Thank you!!
    Haha, no problem London, I was wrong, no paprika in the paella recipe

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Budget recipes?

I make a yummy quick casserole from leftover bbq sausages (and all the other random meats that were cooked too). Brown one sliced onion in a large pot, dice all the meat and add to pot. Cook until warm, while stirring so it doesn't stick. Add continental "shepherds pie" flavour sachet with about 1 cup water. Cover and simmer for about 20 mins. Serve topped with mashed potato and a squirt of tomato sauce. One of my hubby's faves

Sent from my umbrella

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Budget recipes?

Thanks ladies

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Budget recipes?

Subbing
    My kids love pasta with Kraft cheese spread mixed in not very nutritional but quick easy and no fighting at dinner time with ds to eat his veg.

Special pizza. Son loves them

tomato paste
    Tomato soup
    Mushrooms
    Pineapple (gives a sweet taste)
    And any other veggies around in the fridge/freezer u really can use anything.
    Blend it all up to make a paste

I usually then put it on some English muffins and add ham and cheese. Done and best thing is once paste is made then kids can help make own dinner.

I have frozen the paste for up to 2 months and still good. I have also put it over pasta.