+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Bacon, lentil & vegie soup

Chop two cups approx of mixed soup veg - onions, carrots, celery, whatever is in the fridge needing to be used up.

Optional $$ extra - chop two rashers bacon or couple slices ham. Saute vegies and ham on low heat in a saucepan for about 5 minutes until slightly softened.

Add 1 cup red lentils, two tomatoes chopped or tin tomatoes, enough water to cover. Simmer for about 1/2 hour, 40 minutes until lentils are soft and thickened. Season with salt & pepper (needs a lot of salt as not using stock).

Delish & healthy. Must cost under $10 and feeds at least 4.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Budget recipes?

Cheats lasagne:
    500g mince
    1 cup macaroni
    1 can of diced tomatoes
    2 tbls tomato paste
    Sprinkle of mixed herbs
    1 onion
    Handful baby spinach leaves (optional)
    White sauce:
    3 tbls Butter
    4 tbls Flour
    Milk (to thickness pleasure)
    Grated Cheese

Put macaroni in a saucepan and get that started cooking
    Cook onion on moderate heat till soft then crank up the heat and add the mince when pan is super hot. Brown the mince, add the can of tomatoes, tomato paste, mixed herbs and spinach leaves. Let simmer and tomato sauce become thicker
    Once macaroni is cooked drain it and tip it into the mince.
    Now make your white sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan, about 3 tablespoons.. When the butter is melted and smelling a little fragrant add the flour. Cook off the flour and butter mixture for a minute to a minute and a half, start adding your milk gradually, over the heat and in tiny bits, stir until there is no lumps left and it's important not to leave it alone or it will get lumpy (sorry if you knew that) then once you have added enough milk to get your desired thickness add a handful of cheese.
    Back to the mince... Pour the mince mixture into a baking dish, top with your white sauce and then sprinkle a little more cheese on top... Whack that in the oven until the cheese on top is golden and bubbling! YUM!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Budget recipes?

Subbing :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Budget recipes?

This thread is great... Some new meals going into my meal planner this fortnight!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apricot Chicken-
    400 ml tin apricot nectar
    1 pkt french onion soup mix (generic brand is best)
    onion cut into wedges
    chicken drumsticks or thighs

Mix all together and bake in a casserole dish until meat is tender, sauce has thickened. Serve with rice. Its delicious and soo cheap and easy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Budget recipes?

Subbing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure if homemade sausage rolls has already been mentioned- 500g coles sausage mince is around $2.60, puff pastry $3.50 or so I think (already had it in the freezer so can't remember how much it is), I added 3/4 cup breadcrumbs since I had them, a grated carrot and one grated onion. I cut 3 sheets of pastry in half and filled them then cut those into 4 so made 24 which was plenty for us with pasta and vegies and DH has leftovers at work for lunch today.

Tuna, sausage and baked potato recipes are usually cheap but there is lots of those already

I tried a philly cheesesteak sandwich recipe the other day for something different, there is a few different versions but the one I used was reasonably cheap to do if you have some of the ingredients on hand already- you are meant to use really thin steak, I settled for about five pieces of sizzle steak because it was all I could find, this cost $5.00, mix about 1 cup of mayo (which I always have in the fridge but homebrand mayo wouldn't cost to much, oh and 1 cup was plenty! Could probably use less) with 2 cloves of minced garlic (again always in our fridge) and put that in the fridge. Cook thinly sliced steak, I also added a capsicum and an onion. Cut and spread hotdog rolls (again homebrand are cheap) with the garlic mayo, add some meat mixture, sprinkle a bit of cheese on top and heat in oven until cheese is brown or melted.

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, I am hopeless in the kitchen so I can't really contribute much, but I am happily subscribing for ideas!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Budget recipes?

Anyone have any idea for leftover cooked sausages? I usually add them to a pasta bake, just seeing if anyone else has a better suggestion

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Budget recipes?

Curried snags?