+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Day 1 - Still a Zumba virgin

When I got home from work last night, the delivery slip for my Zumba pack was in the letter box. I headed out first thing this morning to collect it from the post office. As I was ripping in to the package over a cup of tea, it became abundantly clear that I would have some pretty stiff competition....for the toning sticks. My almost 3 year old was very happily trotting around the lounge room shaking the 'raccas'. Perhaps she will be my work out buddy.

So, this morning is about reading through the book, planning out my work out timetable, and making sure there are no landmines hiding on the lounge room floor for me to twist my ankle on (dinosaurs, farm yard friends, matchbox cars, tea set forks...you get my drift).

So workout 1 will be on this afternoon, I am excited to get started, but nervous to. Nervous because I have never been the most remarkably coordinated person, nervous because it is just something new, nervous because I have started things before and not followed through, and nervous because this old house on stumps....well, we want it to stay on its stumps.

So, and I will check back with a report of the damage .

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am doing my first work out this afternoon too, and I am also uncoordinated...and accident prone...worst case scenario is I will spend week laughing at myself

Look forward to hearing how you go

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

SpecialPatrolGroup  (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

Oh, I hope my DVDs arrive today so I can start with everyone else! Good luck, hun!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

SpecialPatrolGroup  (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I can't wait to hear how you went.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Day 1, Part 2: This might take some work...

Okay, think I'm gonna have to do the Step by Step disc a few more times. I really enjoyed the movements of the workout, but I am just soooo uncoordinated that as soon as the trainers started adding a bit more complexity to the steps (a twist here, an arm movement there, speed this up here) that was when I started to struggle. Oh well, practice, practice, practice....

While I was doing the Step by Step workout I came up with a goal, albeit a strange goal - I want to go to a Zumba group class at some stage and not be the fat chick that can't keep up, that other people look at and thing 'at least she is having a go' (not that I wish that feeling on anybody else). I would be perfectly happy to just blend. Yes, I clearly have some lingering insecurities.

One thing that I was happy to discover was that a few of the elements of the Latin style of ballroom dancing that I did when I was in high school (purely as a beginner) came in to play with some the movements so that was nice to find that I did have some knowledge to draw on.

So yay, I have taken the first step and I'm really happy and excited about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Oh SPG what a fantastic goal. I love it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

Way to go, SPG! I went to a few Zumba classes at my gym last year and I was surprised to discover that I was nowhere near as uncomfortable as I thought I would be. It didn't take me long to realise that nobody was looking at me because they were all too busy doing their own thing!

Thanks
    Reviews

I loved going to classes. I always felt more self conscious by myself in my lounge than in a room of people muddling through together, lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Okay, think I'm gonna have to do the Step by Step disc a few more times. I really enjoyed the movements of the workout, but I am just soooo uncoordinated that as soon as the trainers started adding a bit more complexity to the steps (a twist here, an arm movement there, speed this up here) that was when I started to struggle. Oh well, practice, practice, practice....

While I was doing the Step by Step workout I came up with a goal, albeit a strange goal - I want to go to a Zumba group class at some stage and not be the fat chick that can't keep up, that other people look at and thing 'at least she is having a go' (not that I wish that feeling on anybody else). I would be perfectly happy to just blend. Yes, I clearly have some lingering insecurities.

One thing that I was happy to discover was that a few of the elements of the Latin style of ballroom dancing that I did when I was in high school (purely as a beginner) came in to play with some the movements so that was nice to find that I did have some knowledge to draw on.

So yay, I have taken the first step and I'm really happy and excited about it.
    I had the same issues with the instructors getting all fast and inserting too much flavour...I am just an uncoordinated mess... I like your goal about going to the Zumba class!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I also kept getting all tripped up when I tried injecting my own flavour! 😄

I had to just try and ignore their flavour. Hopefully after a week I will be ready to spice up my moves 😉