+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Post CVS / Amnio advice & experiences

sorry I don't know whether this is the right forum, and i did search for 'cvs' and didn't see anything

has anyone had a CVS or an amnio before?

we have the option of having one due to our daughter's genetic disorder. CVS was recommended (between 9-10 weeks), but there's also an option of an amnio later on

if we decide to have one, it's NOT for termination, it'll be for peace of mind and preparation. i'm so nervous :/ i'll give our genetics dr a call soon to chat and to book things in (will it be done via the kid's hospital, or privately?)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default CVS / Amnio advice & experiences

I had an amino with my second because of my firsts chromosome abnormality. I'm also 14 weeks pregnant with our third and will be having one again. We were recommended to have an amino as a cvs wouldn't have been able to be as specific as we needed it to be. I had it done at the hospital I'm giving birth at, a rather big hospital so they also have the genetic counsellors there. I'm happy to answer any questions, I know it's very stressful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for replying x

My daughter and I both have the same chromosome duplication but it doesn't seem to be the reason for her specific genetic disorder as I'm totally fine. I forgot that they might test for that also...

When will you do your amnio?

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm booked in at 16 and a half weeks so very soon. My sons chromosome abnormality isn't hereditary but it still is a nerve racking time. The procedure itself is very quick and feels like when you poke your belly button and you get that funny sensation.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Linda01 For This Useful Post:

zooey  (23-10-2012)

Bulbasaur is offline Life is to short to live without icecream
    Thanks
    Reviews
    i had a cvs done because i got 1:38 chance for down syndrome. it came back negative and im now 22+6weeks. my only advice is to relax. it dosnt hurt as much as you think it will, you will have a bruise after, and dont watch them do it, watch the ultrasound screen if you have to, i did, looked cool lol i didnt even look at the size of the needle till after.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulbasaur For This Useful Post:

zooey  (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thank you SO MUCH for your replies, it means alot

i just spoke with a genetics counselor and i'm booked in for an appt next tuesday at the hospital. excited to get things going!

i'm pretty good with needles but yeah i think i'll take your advice and concentrate on the screen

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a CVS with DD1 as I had a 1/32 chance of DS. We also just had it for peace of mind. It was done at 14weeks and didn't hurt at all, I didn't bruise or even get a bandaid after The worst part was the stress for your baby and the unknown. The genetic counsellor was fantastic! I didn't need one for DD2 but if I had to I would of.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to winterbaby For This Useful Post:

zooey  (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I have had one of each (with different bubs). Both procedures were similar, from memory the amnio took longer. I hid under a scarfe, didn't even look at the screen, and I had by DH talk to me about another topic so as to distract me even further. I told Dr beforeheand not to show me the needle or anything to do with the procedure. You may feel crampy afterwards, which is normal, and take it easy afterwards if you can- not too much walking or lifting, maybe have takeaway for dinner and put your feet up . All the best

Oh, and I had mine privately, and there were 'optional extras' that I could pay for, including a new, more comprehensive raft of genetic screening that is done by Genea, and I also paid for the FISH fast result, so I got the initial result within 48 hours. I received a portion back from medicare I think.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

zooey  (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

just bumping this up to say thank you for your stories xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    My CVS is now less than 24 hours away. I'm anxious as anything :/
    If you can send good vibes or prayers, I'll welcome it. xx