+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wesley or North West Private?

Hi ladies,
    At this stage I'm looking to go to either the Wesley or North West private in Brisbane and just wondering if anyone had gone through either and what your experience was? Also how much where you out of pocket after your health insurance paid its set amount??? And finally what obgyn did u have? Thanks in advance

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I saw Dr Price at North West and was happy with my experience both with him and the hospital itself.

I wasn't out of pocket at all for the birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I delivered at the Wesley and it was good, not great but my obgyn was fantastic. His name is Steven cook, I wasn't out of pocket for the delivery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, i am 6 months pregnant with my second and I am going to The Wesley. My OB is Nikki Whelan and she doesn't have a management fee, so no having to pay $2K plus for the OB, yay!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rachel27 For This Useful Post:

HunnyBunch  (25-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been through north west twice and seen Dr Chris Price both times. LOVE dr price, I can highly recommend him. He does tend to call a spade a spade and is very no nonsense down to earth, but I appreciated that and if / when there were complications I had the utmost confidence in his skills and felt like I was in the best hands possible. The rooms at northwest are nice and all the midwives I saw were just fabulous, worth their weights in gold. Especially the first time, they really went out of their way to help me establish breast feeding and make sure I was comfortable changing nappies etc. second time they were still lovely but I guess they assume you have a better idea of what you're doing lol. Oh and I seem to remember the food being better first time round but that could be because I was sick second time!

Out of pocket costs were very minimal for the hospital stay but I had to have Caesars and the anesthetist was about $900 - I can't remember how much I got back from Medicare but I calculated total out of pocket costs to be about $3500 for each pregnancy / delivery. This was before medicare cancelled the rebates on private obs management fees however, and I'm sure all other costs have gone up in the last 3 years as well

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wesley or North West Private?

Thanks ladies for the information I think I'll go with north west I might go into medibank and see how much they estimate they will cover for the various things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    rachel27, I was about to say the same thing! I had Nikki with my first and now for my second Bub. I just love it that she doesn't charge the Pregnancy Management Fee

NellyS, all your antenatal visits, scans and postnatal visit are claimed through Medicare. You can check the rebate amounts here:
    http://www9.health.gov.au/mbs/search.cfm?q=&sopt=S

The Item numbers are:
    16401 Obstetric Initial Visit
    16500 Antenatal Visits
    16404 Postnatal Visit
    16590 Pregnancy Management Fee

I was looking at all the costs before I booked in and with about 14 antenatal visits, these are the costs with Nikki:
    Nikki Whelan
    Initial incl Scan $210
    Antenatal 14 x $100
    Post Natal $60
    Total up front $1670
    Medicare 75% $580.45, Out of pocket $1089.55
    Medicare 85% 658.20, Out of pocket $1011.80

Your private health cover will only cover the hospital stay, obstetrician's delivery, anaesthesiest (if you need one). Check your level of cover with them also. I just have to pay our excess amount and everything else is included.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had Bob Watson at NWP, and loved it (and him). Am going back there for my 2nd (been seeing him for IVF).

Great experience all round.

Can't remember the costs - sorry.