+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Does your baby sleep on their back?

My 2.5 week old newborn is a spewer ... We are co sleeping as I have done with my other two kids . I'm a bit worried as she hates being put on her back to sleep and I feel if she is sick it's uncomfortable , so if she sleeps on left side the sick leaves her mouth without her choking. But SIDS guidelines are not happy with side sleeping or co sleeping ..... If I wrap her and place her in her bassinette on her back she is awake upset very quickly.

I never asked advice with the other two I just went with instinct but they were happy to sleep on their backs.

What's your opinion of side sleeping ?

Thanks.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I still swaddle my 12 week old and always place her to sleep on her back but she tends to turn to her side during the night anyway.. not completely rolled over, but she turns her head to the side. We bring her into the bed with us when she is unsettled as well. I just make sure she is in her own swaddle/wrap and on top of our doona, in between DH and I. I am so aware of her there anyway that there's no chance of anything sinister occuring.
    Do what suits YOUR situation. Back sleeping is best, but in reality we mothers just have to trust our own instincts and do what is best for our babies at the time. Your bub will eventually overcome this stage and you can go from there.
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 23-10-2012 at 00:03.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I swaddle 9 week old Mr and put him either in his swing or the chair to sleep almost upright. He has reflux and can't sleep lying on his back so it's either this or sleeping on my chest on his belly

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Aroha0509 For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I have had 2 spewey babies. I pop them reclined back but on their side leaning against a rolled up towel. They sleep on a 30-45 degree angle.

I also incline the cot. All day sleeps in the car capsule or pram tho till 4-6mths.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS was wrapped until 5 months. He was a big spewer as well when he was really little. We put a folded up blanket (adult bed sized) under his cot mattress so that he wasn't flat on his back.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PeJu's Mum For This Useful Post:

Cherry18Bloss  (24-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Rose&Aurelia;6871594]I have had 2 spewey babies. I pop them reclined back but on their side leaning against a rolled up towel. They sleep on a 30-45 degree angle. [QUOTE]
    I agree with this, DD was a very spewy refluxer and would only sleep on her side, pretty much from the day she was born. She preferred a steeper angle, probably about 60°. She still sleeps on her side a lot of the time, and when she's not on her side she's on her tummy... she just doesn't seem comfy on her back.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Does your baby sleep on their back?

I have had 3 kids and ALL of them slept on there tummy from day 1. I know it is a no go but all my kids had great head control, could turn there head from side to side while I on there tummy and even would put themselves up quite high also. even the midwives would be shocked at how much head control my kids had. I also have the breathing monitor on them also. If they didn't stick there head up so much like the roosters I would of though twice before putting them like that

Sent from my GT-I9210T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I did the rolled up towel either side too. I know it's now recommended but IMO its better than him choking on his vomit. Midwives did it in hospital, but only when they took him to the nurses station so they could keep an eye on him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. I worry if she vomits and she is on her back during a day sleep she could choke so I'm happy to have her on her side it's just if she rolls onto face..... I'm sure it will be ok as I'm one of those check every two second mums !
    It's so much easier around 4 months isn't it,at this age they are so helpless poor things!

Thanks for the advice xx

Thanks
    Reviews

DD wouldn't sleep on her back at all and still doesn't we had to go against SIDs guidelines or get no sleep at all! When ur deciding what to do for ur little one you must take all the info you can get your hands on both personal and recommended guidelines and then do what makes you comfortable and at least have made an informed decision. Like you say, you are worried about her choking so that obviously holds a big part of your decision, and only you can make the decision that's right for you it gets easier to do this