+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default baptism confusion....

I don't know what to do about DD's baptism. Both DH and I were baptised and we would like her to be baptised too, however we don't adhere to a church and we don't believe in the priesthood of the catholic faith, we are more bible home based and we have not found others to fellowship with yet so we don't have a minister.
    What do you think about DH baptising her? He is the head of the household and I would be happy with it but have not read anything on the bible about who can or cant baptise. Would this offend G-d?
    Would that take away from the ceremony? not being done in a church?
    Anyone else done anything like this??

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: baptism confusion....

How about Anglican. I'm baptised catholic my partner Anglican. Not
    a big fan of the catholic church myself but the Anglican church we go to are really laid back. I mean my partner and I aren't married but the lady priest who is older is really awesome. Just a suggestion.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like a naming day celebration to me a welcome to the family party. Baptism is like a welcome to the church family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
    Sounds like a naming day celebration to me a welcome to the family party. Baptism is like a welcome to the church family.
    I agree with this.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
    I agree, or even a dedication ceremony.

Thanks
    Reviews

If you would like your child to go to a Catholic school they will need to be formally baptized in the church, usually.
    That may or may not weigh in your decision....
    I know what you mean, we had or DD baptized but it sort of felt weird because we don't go to church, or pray or support the Catholic Church as an institution iykwim.
    It was more as DH wanted to maintain that tradition ( Italian family) and also to give DD some thing to believe in in the early years, then she can make up her own mind.
    I had 12 years of catholic education and don't believe it, but we still got her baptized.
    Whatever you decide will be right for your family

Thanks
    Reviews
    As I understand it only an ordained priest can baptise. (I've been chatting with my Vicar as I am preparing to be baptised, Anglican btw) Then a bishop can do confirmations.

Maybe do a naming ceremony as a PP suggested. Then do an official baptism later when you find a minister. Perhaps check out your local Anglican or other churches. Our local Anglican church has been very welcoming.

Thanks
    Reviews

There's nothing in the bible that says your husband couldn't baptize her, there's no specifics said about who can or can't baptize someone. The issue is if you wanted to join a particular church later they may not recognize it.

However, I would urge you to really search your bible first to see what you believe regarding infant baptism. There is nothing about infant baptism in the bible - this is a tradition man made up. The bible says "believe and be baptized, every one of you". A baby cannot believe yet, so would be wary of doing this.

Just something to think about.
    Last edited by Justwant2beamummy; 23-10-2012 at 07:38.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Justwant2beamummy For This Useful Post:

Becs  (01-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My husband's an ordained priest and will baptise our kids if they choose to be baptised.

I think having it at home is absolutely fine. You mentioned you don't believe in the priesthood of the catholic church, I suggest really reading up about priesthood, authority, baptism and of course pray about it, then make a decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone! lots of good points here.
    I guess I'm confused about everything right now... I was raised catholic (italian family too!) so was DH so there's that tradition factor. but then I didn't believe for a long time then I was saved and now Im trying to find my footing...
    I do believe in the"believe and be baptized, every one of you" so I suppose that makes me baptist?!
    I dont know anything about the anglican church so Ill look into that.