+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think Bugaboo Australia will loose out from this ha ha ha ! When you get $5000 your tempted to buy nicer things! I think looking back I should if bought better quality than I did as if your having more than one baby it does not last. I think you can set baby up second hand for strollers and cots and buy new for mattress and clothes for around $1500 and second hand carrier all from eBay in great condition . If you want the new pram like I did ( mountain buggy) and new stuff you could spend the 5000 very very easily and more. I am on baby number three. Sold all baby stuff and am now buying second hand .... No longer get bonus either as hubby earns right on the limit .
    There is a lot of quality items in eBay . Cots are fine if you buy a new mattress and some strollers are amazing .... You will need money for nappies , good idea to put money aside for that .
    Once all the basics are bought the nappies and wipes are the expense. I have 3 in nappies and by far that's our greatest expense right now . I I was getting the baby bonus again I'd stash 1000 away to cover nappies and I would buy in bulk.

If you buy well you can resell. A good stroller such as a bugaboo / mountain buggy can last a few kids and will still have a decent resale value.

But all up you can spend as little or as much as you want depending on what you want. Shopping for baby is fun though!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not including pregnancy-related expenses (clothing, medication etc.), we spent a bit over $1000. Maybe about $1200? About half of that was modern cloth nappies, and the majority of the rest was stuff that we wanted but by no means needed (ergo carrier, a specific fisher price swing, a certain breast pump etc.)

We put a fair bit of effort into finding the exact things we wanted very cheap (second hand), and were lucky in that we were also given a lot of things which family members already had - change table, bassinet, bouncer, LOTS of clothing etc.

We could have spent a lot less if we'd only bought what we really needed... but figured that for us it was worth a little extra money to make our lives a bit easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We didnt have to buy too much due to the generosity of our parents.

Cot and mattress - my dad purchased as a gift
    Pram and stroller - DFs parents purchased as a gift
    Change table / bath combo - $150
    Portacot - $150
    Clothes - $150
    Bouncer - gift from my best friends
    Blankies /wraps - $40
    Nappies, wipes, thermometer, panadol, creams - $200

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: **spin off** baby bonus thread - how much did you NEED to set bub up?

A few hundred. We Co slept and returned the cot (which ended up being recalled anyway) and almost all clothes, blankets and wraps were from op shops and garage sales. Only unexpected purchase were bottles (had planned to bf). We don't buy into the consumerism if baby goods, only bought the basics.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default **spin off** baby bonus thread - how much did you NEED to set bub up?

Not much at all, we were very lucky we had a lot bought for us and given to us second hand. $300 on clothes maybe?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We spent very little. My sister had twin boys nine months before my son was born. She bought two of everything (obviously) and gave us everything. Including bags as bags of clothes, swing, bouncer, feeding pillow, toys, play gym, wraps and blankets and so much more. We were very lucky!
    My in laws paid $500 towards our pram and my parents paid for a car seat. I was given so much at my baby shower and when he was born.
    All we really needed was a change table ($120) and cot ($175).

Thanks
    Reviews

Default **spin off** baby bonus thread - how much did you NEED to set bub up?

We were very lucky in that SIL gave us her old big ticket items for DS & my parents & the in laws treated us to the rest (car seat & pram iirc).

This time round we've gotten new big ticket items (and in double!) and it's cost us no more than 2k. Just kept our eyes open for sales. DF was complaining about the the cost till MIL reminded him that it's easy to spend more than that for one baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We did the majority 2nd hand or free.

Gifts covered some baby clothes and toys, my parents got me a highchair and pram (2nd hand), we used a porta cot until approx 1yr, had hand me down clothes (and some new of course, i couldnt help myself), skiped the change table and just used a foam change mat on the bed.

If you are happy to go 2nd hand, or check out what your friends or freecycle have to offer, i would, as these baby items are used for so little time and are so expensive!!

I have always been set on buying brand new car seats though. I cant comprimise on that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    When I was pregnant I lived alone in a unit about the size of my current living area. Needless to say, I was a minimalist. I was given a lot, but I really can't remember spending over a few hundred dollars. Biggest cost is loss of income.