+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilWombatQueen View Post
    Many people use the baby bonus as a form of maternity leave payment. TAFE and sessional university teachers, for example, don't work enough weeks of the year to qualify for the government paid parental leave scheme. It's hard enough to make ends meet for the non-contact weeks let alone paying for your own parental leave on top of it.

A baby 'bonus' significantly lower than paid parental leave will mean many mothers going back to work a lot earlier than planned. Then the government will be scratching their heads as to why there are even bigger problems with accessing childcare and why they're not meeting their targets for babies being breastfed until at least six months old.
    i'm a tafe lecturer (and only part time) and got the ppl no problem.
    no baby bonus but it worked out the same. i thought of it as though i had been putting away my tax to help fund my 'maternity leave'!

i think the baby bonus is ridiculous though. it is so much money, even $3000. and it doesn't cost that much in equipment to prepare for a baby.
    i'd rather see a $3000 tax-free threshold where receipts for baby items can be included for new parents. at least then the money is being spent on baby gear and it boosts the tax return the following financial year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I say politicians aren't paid enough I'm not comparing them to other politicians, I'm comparing them to other industries and sectors of the public service.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pina Colada For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Cuts to baby bonus to balance budget

The cuts to the baby bonus are just more proof that the current government has no clue about the costs of having a family. Why lower it for subsequent children, when it actually becomes more expensive to have another child?
    And really, it makes more sense that they should pay the BB as a lump sum for subsequent children, as the extra costs of adding to a family (ie. New car, extra car seats, extra bedrooms, etc.) are needed sooner, rather than trying to save the bonus for several fortnights to pay for them.

The current government has sought out a soft target to try and bring their budget back into surplus. Wasn't that what the carbon tax and the mining tax was meant to do? Just goes to show that Swannie is a freaking terrible treasurer.

Sent from my U8860 using BubHub

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrsdj1234 For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (03-11-2012),smidget3004  (24-10-2012),~ElectricPink~  (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Cuts to baby bonus to balance budget

Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    When I say politicians aren't paid enough I'm not comparing them to other politicians, I'm comparing them to other industries and sectors of the public service.
    We should impose the same targets, and performance goals for them to earn bonuses. Then we may end up with a government that actually does what it promises.

Sent from my U8860 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Cuts to baby bonus to balance budget

Meh. It was only $3000 when I had dd anyway. I figure that nobody already pregnant is going to be screwed over and anyone ttc will have to rethink if they were relying on the extra $2k. Tbh, I think if you cannot get all the baby basics with $3000 you seriously need to budget better.

I am not at all upset by this change.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I agree with cutting it....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Are you sure about this? The PM is generally paid less than a lot of MPs.
    I think she is the 3rd or 4th highest paid leader in the world (china I think has no 1) she gets approx. $450,000 pa - obama gets $400,000 , the French and English Prime ministers are only on $250,000 I think, I'll try find the article!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

smidget3004  (24-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I think she is the 3rd or 4th highest paid leader in the world (china I think has no 1) she gets approx. $450,000 pa - obama gets $400,000 , the French and English Prime ministers are only on $250,000 I think, I'll try find the article!
    That'd be good, thanks! I did think the poster I quoted said "pollie", not leader. I would guess this is not correct.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The french president and PM are getting 16k after tax per month.
    (Don't forget that this is purely pocket money though, and they don't even get time to use it)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    That'd be good, thanks! I did think the poster I quoted said "pollie", not leader. I would guess this is not correct.
    http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/35931...m#.UIYjNYlhic0

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Benji  (23-10-2012)