+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Cuts to baby bonus to balance budget

Quote Originally Posted by Linda01 View Post
    Just curious, those that don't agree with the baby bonus did you receive it? I'm very grateful for it, it didnt sway our decision to have children but it did help with the costs. Now that I'm a sahm due to my oldest having special needs I don't qualify for ppl and my children don't go to childcare because I'm not working. Ppl and childcare rebates help working mothers have children the same way the baby bonus has helped others. Same kind of thing to me, helps families have children but different name and different criteria and it excludes one type of family. We also don't get much ftb b either so that doesn't help us.
    I don't agree with the baby bonus so we put all the money into a long term account where we add 50/fn to. It's for our children when they are in their uni years. Every cent of money they receive goes in there. Even gift cards - I use them and but deposit the same amount in there.

FTB goes in there too.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cuts to baby bonus to balance budget

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    How do you work that out? I don't really understand why this would cause people to go back to work earlier? Most people who claim the BB are SAHM or those entitled to FTB B because of low income to begin with (and most will just opt for PPL instead)
    I wasn't eligible for ppl because I was considered not employed for 7 weeks of the last 13 months prior to birth. I signed the contracts at about 5 weeks but didn't have any paid shifts.

I'm dissapointed because it has helped us, we haven't relied on it but definitely makes things like buying better carseat possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I don't agree with the baby bonus so we put all the money into a long term account where we add 50/fn to. It's for our children when they are in their uni years. Every cent of money they receive goes in there. Even gift cards - I use them and but deposit the same amount in there.

FTB goes in there too.
    the only reason you can do this is because you have enough income/other money to afford it...not everyone is as lucky as you. Congrat's on putting in the hard work...but, best not to belittle people who do not have it as lucky.

As for us, i agree with social welfare and I appreciate what we get (which is about $50 a f/n)...it pays for the kids "extras" like gymnastics and karate...it's helpful.

Baby bonus...i was grateful for the 5k...but i was also grateful for the $500 i got for DS lol We put some in the kids accounts and used some to supplement the extra costs in the early months.

I don't agree with the complaining about it...because it is a bonus and not an entitlement but i guess I am not the one seeing people getting $5k now and then getting $2k less than that myself. if it had never been $5k, people would think cool $3k...but the comparison is what they are upset over and that is human nature.

People shouldn't be making the choice to have a baby and relying on the bonus to make it affordable...but, I am in a priviledged place too because we can live without the bonus and ftb is we choose.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Two income couples with children still receive it up to a certain income bracket from memory.

But yes, that's what I mean Say husband/wife is off work caring for elderly grandmother or large property. I don't quite understand if it's an equity thing only a portion of society receives it.
    Vote-buying in its purest form

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Benji  (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    Everyone is saying they are anti baby-bonus, but it's a form of welfare. If you are against the BB because "if you can't afford a baby, don't have one" you should also be against welfare by that principle. We could save a lot of money if we cut back on welfare.
    Well no, wasn't it introduced as an incentive scheme for people to have babies, for our population 'balance'? This isn't welfare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I do think if it's going to be scrapped/lowered it should be done so from the highest income earners down. I'd be happy to not receive it if it means that those on lower incomes can still receive all/some of it if it means it makes those first few months financially a little easier. I don't understand middle class welfare TBH (as shelle mentioned, vote buying).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't qualify for baby bonus so I'm happy fir ut to ge reduced wish it was scrapped. ****es me off that we pay so kuch tax and arnt eligible for these schemes but fund then for others.
    Gad no idea it was as much as $5000. Wow

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    How do you work that out? I don't really understand why this would cause people to go back to work earlier? Most people who claim the BB are SAHM or those entitled to FTB B because of low income to begin with (and most will just opt for PPL instead)
    Yes, many people who claim the BB are stay at home parents. Many, however, are workers. There is a work test criteria for the PPL. You need to have worked 10 of the last 13 months with no more than an 8 week gap in employment. Most TAFE and uni teachers don't qualify because their place of work effectively closes down for over three months of the year. Seasonal workers, people who are self-employed and casual workers are often not eligible. These people will be significantly worse off with the new baby bonus.

I agree with BlissedOut's comment that the PPL needs to be changed. If the work test was 10 or 11 of the last 12 months with no '8 week gap' rule more workers would be eligible.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...e-pay#Worktest

http://www.smh.com.au/national/acade...0519-vfcm.html
    Last edited by EvilWombatQueen; 23-10-2012 at 13:30.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Cuts to baby bonus to balance budget

The baby bonus is going to help DP and I, as he is in a different state so it is currently up to me to but everything myself. DP also has a child from a previous relationship so he is paying child support as well as living by himself and trying to support me as well. So in reality he is supporting 2 households and paying child support... I am on DSP so only qualify for BB. I personally don't care how much it is, every little bit helps. Even if I was only getting $500 I wouldn't whinge...

My question for the pollies would be, someone in a similar situation to me, their first but DP's second, what would they get?

Oh and FYI Julia gillard is the most paid politician in the world! She could take a pay cut and put the money into the defence force (who are grossly under payed!)

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

12. The Following User Says Thank You to smidget3004 For This Useful Post:

Cherry18Bloss  (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smidget3004 View Post
    Oh and FYI Julia gillard is the most paid politician in the world! She could take a pay cut and put the money into the defence force (who are grossly under payed!)
    Are you sure about this? The PM is generally paid less than a lot of MPs.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (23-10-2012),NancyBlackett  (23-10-2012)