+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Cuts to baby bonus to balance budget

Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    Everyone is saying they are anti baby-bonus, but it's a form of welfare. If you are against the BB because "if you can't afford a baby, don't have one" you should also be against welfare by that principle. We could save a lot of money if we cut back on welfare.
    Whilst it is a government handout, it's not a income supplement. Welfare such as FTB, SPP and the likes are there to assist those who's income doesn't cover their expenses.

Baby Bonus is just that, a Bonus! Wether it be 5k or 3k, it's still given as a bonus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    It is a bonus, and it was to encourage people to have children as we are an ageing nation.

Just like the first home owners grant - was introduced to encourage people to buy, but it's a bonus and if they don't need more people to buy, they are well within their rights to take it away.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

beccacino  (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I try not to have an opinion on this issue as it doesn't affect me.

When I had DD we received a $4k lump sum baby bonus which was great but we were taking a huge income drop with me taking a year unpaid maternity leave, and then DD's Dad leaving work to go back to uni and look after DD when I went back to work (part time). Then I missed out on payrises etc because I couldn't advance my career as much as I could have if I was single and working full time.

Over the 5 years DD has been alive, I would say my/our total income has been at least $350,000 less than it would have been over that 5 year period if we had never had DD. $4k is a drop in the ocean.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually FTB isn't welfare either. It is a rebate to balance the inequity of a tax system that calculates tax on an individual basis. (Ie two incomes of $50,000 pays less tax than one income of $100,000. Same income, different tax rates = FTB to re-balance the amount of tax paid)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

TheMadHatter  (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    Actually FTB isn't welfare either. It is a rebate to balance the inequity of a tax system that calculates tax on an individual basis. (Ie two incomes of $50,000 pays less tax than one income of $100,000. Same income, different tax rates = FTB to re-balance the amount of tax paid)
    I really struggle to understand why couples without children aren't given the same benefit to balance their taxes TBH.

Thanks
    Reviews

I am all for the cut in baby bonus and I'm expecting my 3rd bub! I would much rather see this happen then more of our resources sold off or tax payers having their tax percentage increased.

We are in debt, money has to be cut somewhere or we will never get on top and with the global financial problems today I say let's get on top as fast as possible.

I think the baby bonus is just one way we can do that without axing more jobs, etc.

It's a "bonus" nothing more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Just curious, those that don't agree with the baby bonus did you receive it? I'm very grateful for it, it didnt sway our decision to have children but it did help with the costs. Now that I'm a sahm due to my oldest having special needs I don't qualify for ppl and my children don't go to childcare because I'm not working. Ppl and childcare rebates help working mothers have children the same way the baby bonus has helped others. Same kind of thing to me, helps families have children but different name and different criteria and it excludes one type of family. We also don't get much ftb b either so that doesn't help us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I really struggle to understand why couples without children aren't given the same benefit to balance their taxes TBH.
    You mean if they go onto one income for reasons other than having children? Yes I agree they should also get the benefit. I guess they don't because it is so rare that a childless couple only have one income (hence doesn't get many votes...?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda01 View Post
    Just curious, those that don't agree with the baby bonus did you receive it? I'm very grateful for it, it didnt sway our decision to have children but it did help with the costs. Now that I'm a sahm due to my oldest having special needs I don't qualify for ppl and my children don't go to childcare because I'm not working. Ppl and childcare rebates help working mothers have children the same way the baby bonus has helped others. Same kind of thing to me, helps families have children but different name and different criteria and it excludes one type of family. We also don't get much ftb b either so that doesn't help us.
    We received it for DD1 and donated half to charity. We didn't get anything for DD2 nor DS1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    You mean if they go onto one income for reasons other than having children? Yes I agree they should also get the benefit. I guess they don't because it is so rare that a childless couple only have one income (hence doesn't get many votes...?)
    Two income couples with children still receive it up to a certain income bracket from memory.

But yes, that's what I mean Say husband/wife is off work caring for elderly grandmother or large property. I don't quite understand if it's an equity thing only a portion of society receives it.