+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cuts to baby bonus to balance budget

When I had my DD nearly 8 years ago the BB was 3k. I remember it had just gone up from $500. I also remember the stories on the news about women electing to have their c sections scheduled after the 1st July so that they could get the 3k instead of $500. I think that the 3k is still very generous.

Thanks
    Reviews

In my opinion the baby bonus is just a bonus! You don't need it, but it's nice to receive it. It's there to help families buy the essential items for baby ( not flat screen TV, computers, new phone etc)

Thanks
    Reviews

For me it will make it hard for us. I am self employed and the baby bonus paid fortnightly is basically my maternity leave as I don't qualify for paid maternity leave.

My partner earns enough to not get any centrelink but we get full A and most of B, but loose our supplements when my business income tips us over. We're in the middle range when the childcare fees make it pointless for me to work anymore then I do, but we don't get any centrelink money as we earn just over.

So I counted the 5k when I got pregnant and will now have to go to work when bubs is 1 months old to get by which is sad for me the extra 2k meant 2 extra months with my bub

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Astraamy For This Useful Post:

EvilWombatQueen  (23-10-2012),Laydeebugxxx  (22-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The baby bonus, along with the FHOG and others, were the beginning of what I see to be a growing expectation of the public to have the costs of what are a part of life to be reimbursed by the government.

Money that should be going towards essential services is being doled out as 'incentives and bonuses and grants and rebates'. And the more and more people expect to be reimbursed....I have this expense, is there a government grant or rebate for it?

Honestly I feel it is out of control, so I'm glad they are reigning it in somewhat and hope they continue to do so.

ETA..Oh and pollies are grossly underpaid IMO. I have no doubt the standard of politicians would be greatly improved if the salary was even remotely competitive with other industries.
    Last edited by Pina Colada; 22-10-2012 at 18:23.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pina Colada For This Useful Post:

greenfairy  (22-10-2012),Guest654  (23-10-2012),halloweendee  (23-10-2012),NancyBlackett  (22-10-2012),Rutabaga  (25-10-2012),sunnymummy  (22-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Astraamy View Post
    For me it will make it hard for us. I am self employed and the baby bonus paid fortnightly is basically my maternity leave as I don't qualify for paid maternity leave.

My partner earns enough to not get any centrelink but we get full A and most of B, but loose our supplements when my business income tips us over. We're in the middle range when the childcare fees make it pointless for me to work anymore then I do, but we don't get any centrelink money as we earn just over.

So I counted the 5k when I got pregnant and will now have to go to work when bubs is 1 months old to get by which is sad for me the extra 2k meant 2 extra months with my bub
    When are you due? You do realise it doesn't happen straight away. It comes in to affect June next year.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm due June next year I'll have to start putting extra money away now.

I wish my husband was ambitious! Or was able to birth. It's always up to me to earn more

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Why don't you qualify for paid maternity leave? Just curious cos i thought that if you work, you qualify. It isn't means tested

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Oh the whingeing on fb has already started so i came in here to look for this inevitable thread. Why should the taxpayers pay for us to have kids? If that 2k makes such a difference then maybe you should reconsider having more kids.
    This! And it should be cut off at some some point to prevent people from having babies (they will in turn neglet) in order to gain financial reward. I have the same opinion of FTB. If you can't afford to raise and support your children then you shouldn't be having more.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

greenfairy  (22-10-2012),intruderalert1234  (22-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: Cuts to baby bonus to balance budget

I'm due June next year I'll have to start putting extra money away now.

I wish my husband was ambitious! Or was able to birth. It's always up to me to earn more
    It doesn't come into affect until 1st July 2013

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I couldn't care less about the reduction in payment but I think his reasoning is a bit off- suddenly you have to save everything from your first for children you may or may not have one day? Lets not forget not everyone has their children 2 or 3 years apart. And if your first is twins? I think it is all a bit like a hoarders show IMO
    It's still 3k.

And your first is twins you still get 5k each.