+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Cuts to baby bonus to balance budget

Quote Originally Posted by ~ElectricPink~ View Post
    I doubt that receiving $2k less would prevent anyone from being able to afford another child, I just find the overall logic of it a little bit unfair. The BB is to supposedly assist with the costs incurred with having a baby, and the argument is that subsequent babies will have less of a financial toll on the family...but that isn't necessarily the case!

*shrugs* I'd be happy to receive any bonus at all, it is exactly that, a BONUS that we are lucky to receive. I just find it unfair that I'd have exactly the same costs as a first time mum, yet would receive a substantial amount less based on the argument that I should "already have" the big items that are needed. If they cut everyone's payments to $3k I wouldn't have a problem, it's just the logic of it that annoys me more than anything, if that makes sense?
    If you have a second kid, then surely you do have some big ticket items such as a pram or a cot?

If someone has a large gap between kids and has given the big ticket items away then sorry that's their fault and they should have saved $$ before having the second kid, or sourced second hand gear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    If you have a second kid, then surely you do have some big ticket items such as a pram or a cot?

If someone has a large gap between kids and has given the big ticket items away then sorry that's their fault and they should have saved $$ before having the second kid, or sourced second hand gear.
    Not necessarily.

Ds is 18 months and #2 is due in January.
    We need a new cot and pram as ds's cot is broken from moving house and our pram doesn't convert to a double.
    Then we need a second car seat, general furniture for bubs room and other bits and bobs.

The only thing we don't need is clothes, which really don't add up to much anyway.

So we are looking at spending the exact same amount all over again even though they will only be 21 months apart!!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lumpy Melon For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (24-10-2012),~ElectricPink~  (24-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I do think people do lose sight of what you need and what you want. $1500 is a lot for a pram but I know of people who made sure they got the in pram because that is what everyone else has
    ****e that's one expensivo pramo! These people are keeping the economy alive!

I paid about $1500 for everything! I even bought my pram second-hand from a wealthy couple in Glebe ($160 for a $800 pram!). And bought the cot on sale too. Bought his car capsule brand new but kept it in emasculate condition and then sold it for $100 after 6 months when he moved to a car seat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Cuts to baby bonus to balance budget

Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post
    Ooh I bet you've got a coffee table too...
    No! Damnit! I could have bought one!

Nahhhh I'll go look for one on hard trash day

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

WineTime  (24-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

"Their fault"...are you freaking kidding me?! For starters, I was a single mum living in a unit, so no space to store any baby items, besides I knew it would be awhile until I had another for obvious reasons. I didn't foresee fertility issues either, if it was up to me there would have only been a 3 year gap between children, and I wouldn't have been a single mum for half of my sons life...but those things were out of my control. There was simply no option of holding onto items as there was simply no space for it, especially since I wasn't even sure as to whether I'd be able to have another!

Of course, we'll make do when it comes time for it...but due to recovery from IVF expenses we'll just have to go with second hand items for next bub, which I'm not opposed to. Point is, some people will still have exactly the same set up costs for a second child that others will have with their first. Not to mention anyhow, a lot of people use the baby bonus not just for purchasing the last items that they didn't/couldn't buy during pregnancy, but also to supplement lost income. Luckily now, there is the option of PPL, but it seems that not all will be eligible for it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by ~ElectricPink~ View Post
    "Their fault"...are you freaking kidding me?! For starters, I was a single mum living in a unit, so no space to store any baby items, besides I knew it would be awhile until I had another for obvious reasons. I didn't foresee fertility issues either, if it was up to me there would have only been a 3 year gap between children, and I wouldn't have been a single mum for half of my sons life...but those things were out of my control. There was simply no option of holding onto items as there was simply no space for it, especially since I wasn't even sure as to whether I'd be able to have another!

Of course, we'll make do when it comes time for it...but due to recovery from IVF expenses we'll just have to go with second hand items for next bub, which I'm not opposed to. Point is, some people will still have exactly the same set up costs for a second child that others will have with their first. Not to mention anyhow, a lot of people use the baby bonus not just for purchasing the last items that they didn't/couldn't buy during pregnancy, but also to supplement lost income. Luckily now, there is the option of PPL, but it seems that not all will be eligible for it!
    I'm sorry it's taken you so long to conceive ...

my point was if there is a big gap ... Either use the old baby stuff, or if you can't then you have plenty of time to save. If you can't afford even second hand things without the bonus then it's time to rethink having another kid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Melon View Post
    Not necessarily.

Ds is 18 months and #2 is due in January.
    We need a new cot and pram as ds's cot is broken from moving house and our pram doesn't convert to a double.
    Then we need a second car seat, general furniture for bubs room and other bits and bobs.

The only thing we don't need is clothes, which really don't add up to much anyway.

So we are looking at spending the exact same amount all over again even though they will only be 21 months apart!!!
    Good point and congrats on bub nr 2.

I'm not saying its like this in your case but if you had paid removalists you might be able to reclaim damage to the cot. And if a double pram is needed, unless the first pram is stuffed you should be able to get something for it on EBay. What furniture do bubs really need? Are baby toys, activity centers and rugs been etc from bub 1 available?

I suppose my point is I agree with the government in that you shouldn't need as much $$ from the government for a second kid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree you shouldn't need as much for the 2nd child. Either you should have bits and pieces left over from the first, or you realise that half the stuff you bought in that baby mad shopping spree wasn't really useful after all and you don't need to go buy it for a second time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Cuts to baby bonus to balance budget

I'm sorry it's taken you so long to conceive ...

my point was if there is a big gap ... Either use the old baby stuff, or if you can't then you have plenty of time to save. If you can't afford even second hand things without the bonus then it's time to rethink having another kid.
    I split with ds's father when ds was 8 months old & for 12 months accepted that ds was going to be my old child,
    If i wasn't such a hoarder i would have had nothing.

12 months after the split his father and i decided to try again and we are now ttc #2,

BUT i dont think it costs 3 grand to set up for a baby even starting from scratch,
    3 grand is just a nice 'bonus' to me.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

12. The Following User Says Thank You to intruderalert1234 For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (26-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    i'm a tafe lecturer (and only part time) and got the ppl no problem.
    no baby bonus but it worked out the same. i thought of it as though i had been putting away my tax to help fund my 'maternity leave'!

i think the baby bonus is ridiculous though. it is so much money, even $3000. and it doesn't cost that much in equipment to prepare for a baby.
    i'd rather see a $3000 tax-free threshold where receipts for baby items can be included for new parents. at least then the money is being spent on baby gear and it boosts the tax return the following financial year.
    You're part-time, not sessional or casual. Many tertiary level teachers are on sessional contracts. If you are a sessional tutor or lecturer and have no work over the summer break then you don't qualify because you spend more than 8 weeks in a row with no paid work.