+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    [QUOTE=BBJunior;6872023]The government has no problem feeling entitled to the almost $50k DH and I contribute to taxes every year, plus the ridiculous taxes that have lately been imposed on absolutely everything.

Yes.. which is uses to fund the healthcare, education, roads and everything else we use..

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (25-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post

We bought a car though. Because we already had a flat screen. Lol.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    Ooh I bet you've got a coffee table too...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (24-10-2012)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Cuts to baby bonus to balance budget

I do think people do lose sight of what you need and what you want. $1500 is a lot for a pram but I know of people who made sure they got the in pram because that is what everyone else has.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (23-10-2012),SoThisIsLove  (24-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~ElectricPink~ View Post
    ...As for me, I will be a full-time uni student and working casually, so won't be entitled to PPL. Which means basically I will have to go back to work sooner than I would have liked, just to make ends meet.
    There was no baby bonus when I had kids, OR Paid maternity leave, so, yes I had to go back to work when my kids where very little babies.

The thing is that bonuses are paid during a time of plenty and get withdrawn when time get tough - the exact same as a household budget.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ppl and baby bonus are completely different (and ppl is NOT $10k as a pp mentioned ). casual and part-time workers are eligible for ppl, you just have to decide which one you are going to 'take' if you are eligible for both.

to be honest, the fact people are so upset over $2000 on subsequent kids (not their first, but second/third etc) is mind boggling. if you have indeed gotten rid of all your baby gear (i had 10yrs inbetween my kids and used the same bassinette, cot, pram etc.) then budget/buy secondhand or borrow.

if that $2000 will legitimately prevent you from being able to look after your baby then you are not in a position to be having more kids. simple.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Cuts to baby bonus to balance budget

Ppl is just over 10k before tax....

Sent from my GT-I9210T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Cuts to baby bonus to balance budget

I doubt that receiving $2k less would prevent anyone from being able to afford another child, I just find the overall logic of it a little bit unfair. The BB is to supposedly assist with the costs incurred with having a baby, and the argument is that subsequent babies will have less of a financial toll on the family...but that isn't necessarily the case!

*shrugs* I'd be happy to receive any bonus at all, it is exactly that, a BONUS that we are lucky to receive. I just find it unfair that I'd have exactly the same costs as a first time mum, yet would receive a substantial amount less based on the argument that I should "already have" the big items that are needed. If they cut everyone's payments to $3k I wouldn't have a problem, it's just the logic of it that annoys me more than anything, if that makes sense?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used my baby bonus to cover me for the 6 months I wanted to have off work (I only worked 2 days a week) I was actually better off with the BB because the maternity payment would have reduced my family assistance etc (man they make understanding the payments very confusing!) so with less BB then that would give me less time off of work but as everyone says if we can't afford kids (or cant afford for me to be a FT SAHM for 6 mths) then I shouldn't have them I guess? I love my babies more than any payment from the gov, but it did make things alot easier on us financially for those first few months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I don't get the argument either. The baby bonus is paid after the baby is born and in instalments, so not much use anyway if you need to buy prams, cots etc.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (24-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    They do have the money, but are protecting the surplus.
    They don't have enough $$ to be offering discounts do every Tom, di@k and Harry. A small surplus, such as what they are aiming for, is required to 1) prevent the economy from going up the crapper 2) fund long term infrastructure investment (roads, schools etc).